Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2012, 07:38 AM   #31
spewler
Not (w)reckless

Oddometer: 101
At ~15,000 miles the chain derailed and poked a hole in the crankcase...repaired it with JBWeld and it has held for 10,000+ miles. Unfortunately, nobody makes a sprocket cover that would protect the case. Second problem I had was a rock sheared the two screws holding the sidestand switch to the kickstand plate, leaving the switch dangling by its wiring. I backed the broken screws out of the plate and replaced them...seems like the bash plate should extend a little to the left to protect that switch. Fortunately, the switch isn't that critical...
Old 05-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #32
ButtonPushingMonkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Date got pushed again. This time to the 4th of June. They did say they would hook me up with some accessories though
ButtonPushingMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:18 PM   #33
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by spewler View Post
At ~15,000 miles the chain derailed and poked a hole in the crankcase....
Any idea how that happened?
elan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:25 AM   #34
spewler
Not (w)reckless

Oddometer: 101
elan,

I was attempting to climb a very rocky uphill and I think a rock somehow inserted itself between the rear chain guide and the chain...that's just supposition on my part, but it's the only theory I can come up with.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:40 AM   #35
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Ahhh... yeah, never experienced that on any of my bikes yet *knock on wood*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spewler View Post
elan,

I was attempting to climb a very rocky uphill and I think a rock somehow inserted itself between the rear chain guide and the chain...that's just supposition on my part, but it's the only theory I can come up with.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #36
Middleweightboxer
Middleweightboxer

Oddometer: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
I feel it is relevant information.

Since truing and adjusting my Tiger's front wheel, I have not had any further issues over thousands of miles. Your "bedding in" comment about the spokes would appear to be supported by my experience.
Thanks for posting these comments. I noticed significantly more front tire bouncing today. Because of your post I checked my spokes and they were significantly relaxed. So I'll put the wheel on the truing stand tomorrow and see if my problem will be corrected.

Tiger 800XC, R1, FZ1, RD400, CB400F
R80ST, R90S, Monster S2R, Penton 125 JPS, T25T

Middleweightboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #37
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
Had mine for one year and 13,000 miles.

Had a problem with the computer read out after 6,000 miles. It told me I was almost empty after 100 miles but only took 2.5 US gallons on fill up. Did that twice in a row then cleared up. Attributed it to the reflash at 6k miles.

There is a heat problem if you live in a warm climate. Doesn't seem to bother some folks but enough have complained so it does exist. I fabricated some heat shields to deal with it, but Triumph needs to step up and fix it. Neither the 1050 or the Explorer have a heat problem and they look to be similar designs so it is fixable.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:30 AM   #38
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I'm aware of this. The thing is that I have read an uncommon high number of people complaining about this. I have had a few bikes and never any trouble with loose bolts, certainly not after just 500 miles, and I have read at least 6 or 7 different cases of loose bolts - without searching for them.
Because of reading this, I started checking my case bolts and some other bolts on the bike and I've found a good percentage of them too loose for my tastes. On the left side of the engine, most of the bolts were barely snug and I found several crankcase bolts barely finger tight.

So I guess the moral of the story is for new Triumph owners to check their bolts, because the dealer doesn't, even after paying the bux for their service that is supposed to check the bolts.......
Old 06-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #39
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

I had an issue one time so far where the bike wouldn't start. And it wasn't the immobilizer issue, as it would crank, but it wouldn't "catch" - as if the idle was set too low (me thinks stepper related). This was a case where I had stopped off for a few minutes on a hot day (90F+) and left shortly thereafter. I *think* tried 2 or 3 times to start to no avail. Can't remember if I cycled through the startup (key off, wait, key on, prime pump) once or twice before it actually started.

I've found another thread somewhere else that made it sound like a hot start issue. It was rather upsetting being such a new bike, but I'll work through it :)

I haven't had another issue since (knock on wood), but I can tell that startup is a little different when it's hot (as to be somewhat expected). Hard to explain, but it's like I'll start it, and the RPMs will drop under 1k (for a fraction of a second), but I'm assuming the stepper jumps in real quick to compensate.

I bought the bike used, but the owner had the ecu map updated prior to the sale and I've verified that it's the latest via TuneECU.

And no, heat doesn't bother me. I'm used to riding hot bikes. That catalytic converter doesn't help. And I'm not worried about chains flying off. I do think the loose bolts is a little annoying - nothing I'd go to the dealer for though. I hate dealing with dealers...
Old 07-08-2012, 07:40 PM   #40
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 889
Here is my list of problems after 3000~ miles.

Steering head nut loose.
I needed to tighten various engine bolts as I did on my Tiger 1050.
I hit a rock and took out the side stand switch. Really bad location for that.
Today I got a code: P0500 - Road speed sensor, circuit malfunction. I cleared it and will see if it comes back. (2012 - ABS)

RichardU screwed with this post 07-09-2012 at 05:19 AM
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #41
dirtconnector
erythematic nucha

Oddometer: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by xylent
So my new tiger has shed 3 of 4 indicators in under a week. Seems like the heat has made them super soft and high speed wind or light pressure makes the rubber crack and tear. My front signals are being held on with gorilla tape right now, and right rear is duct taped to the side of the bike. Anyone else having problems with this? Bike has not been down. Its almost as if I have a turn signal gremlin chewing on them at night!

Other than that. I LOVE THIS BIKE!!

My left front was found broken on a ride just Friday. I was thinking maybe the factory or dealer torqued it too tight? The dealer is going to cover it. Mine is 2012 I've had for little over one week. I super glued mine till the dealer gets the new part in.
Could be a heat issue, maybe. It's been hot here in WNC, but I tend to think it's a bad batch of plastic/rubber that the indicator is made of.

Just saw this thread. The original post is in the tiger 800 mega thread.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #42
Rob Dirt OP
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,529
Headlight cap fell off yesterday. I was lucky to see it bouncing down the road & recognized what happened. If you've never messed with your caps, then check out how easy they fall out. It really needs a screw or something.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:26 AM   #43
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
Headlight cap fell off yesterday. I was lucky to see it bouncing down the road & recognized what happened. If you've never messed with your caps, then check out how easy they fall out. It really needs a screw or something.
Yeah, I was surprised at how easily they twist on and off
Old 07-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #44
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 889
While dealing with the steering head nut issue, I realized my forks were not set evenly from the factory. On was set close to the spec 4mm. The other was probably about 6mm.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:11 PM   #45
dirtconnector
erythematic nucha

Oddometer: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtconnector View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xylent
So my new tiger has shed 3 of 4 indicators in under a week. Seems like the heat has made them super soft and high speed wind or light pressure makes the rubber crack and tear. My front signals are being held on with gorilla tape right now, and right rear is duct taped to the side of the bike. Anyone else having problems with this? Bike has not been down. Its almost as if I have a turn signal gremlin chewing on them at night!

Other than that. I LOVE THIS BIKE!!

My left front was found broken on a ride just Friday. I was thinking maybe the factory or dealer torqued it too tight? The dealer is going to cover it. Mine is 2012 I've had for little over one week. I super glued mine till the dealer gets the new part in.
Could be a heat issue, maybe. It's been hot here in WNC, but I tend to think it's a bad batch of plastic/rubber that the indicator is made of.

Just saw this thread. The original post is in the tiger 800 mega thread.
Just an update, It took a couple of weeks, but my dealer replaced the indicator under warranty. The parts gal said they were on back order, so I think my theory that it was a mfg problem holds water. The rubber seems pretty soft as I sometimes find myself watching the indicators "dance" in the wind on a boring stretch of road.