User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 36 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 11:44 PM   #1
Thinc2 OP
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,510
All Things Boats, Ships, Yachts, Skiffs, Dinghies...

Returning from a week in the South of France, I realize how much I love boats, and how much I miss the days growing up on the water.

So this thread is dedicated to all things floating.

To kick it off, perhaps one of my all time favorites - introducing The Maltese Falcon, at berth in Monaco last week:

At 88 meters (289 feet), the ship has fifteen square sails (five per mast), stored inside the mast; they can fully unfurl into tracks along the yards in six minutes. The three carbon fiber masts are free-standing and able to rotate.

The yacht is easily controlled and has been seen to sail off her anchor and away from berths within harbors. The yacht's sophisticated computer detects parameters such as wind speed automatically and displays key data. An operator must always activate the controls, yet it is possible for a single person to pilot the yacht.

The Maltese Falcon has two 1,800 horsepower (1,300 kW) Deutz engines running at 1,800 rpm with a top speed of 20 kn (23 mph; 37 km/h) with minimal wave-making and virtually no vibration or noise and with a smooth and non-turbulent wake. (from Wikipedia)

Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,987
Oh my, here I am thinking about a kayak

You would've liked the Tall Ships event this weekend here in the Ocean State. Majestic comes to mind.

Can't get it to embed. Pretty cool video here.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
Thinc2 OP
Paciugo

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post

You would've liked the Tall Ships event this weekend here in the Ocean State. Majestic comes to mind.

I've never learned to sail, but would love to do a trip on the Tall Ships in that video...
Old 07-11-2012, 05:59 AM   #4
Thinc2 OP
Paciugo

Submarine boat - owned by a Russian banker:

Thinc2 screwed with this post 07-11-2012 at 06:38 AM
Old 07-11-2012, 06:01 AM   #5
Thinc2 OP
Paciugo

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post

I'd like to own something like this:

Old 07-11-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
Cool story! I think we need more on your experience living aboard the 15' boat too

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,805
I took this picture of the Sequoia a few years ago while I was working on the DC waterfront. They used it for a while in their promotional stuff. Which earned me a free tour and trip that I was never able to collect on. But, living in Annapolis, I have been on a enough Trumpy yachts to pretty much know what to expect. Anyway, yachts simply do not get any better looking than this old girl.

My wife also wrangled us a trip on the Chesapeake Bay Foundation's skipjack a few years ago with some of her oceanographer friends. That was probably the only time I ever actually enjoyed sailing.

The same skipjack with the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum's converted buy boat in fron of her. another seriously good looking boat. So the Sequoia and those two are three of the best looking boats I have ever seen.

Last and least, the SS Grreatdog demonstrating who was the hardcore boater in our previous neighborhood. I did a mile of ice breaking to get her out that year. Frozen boats ramps are a real blast.

Same creek not frozen:

Grreatdog screwed with this post 07-11-2012 at 12:35 PM
Grreatdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #8
Slimie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
So I was living in my self-built 15' Washington County design lapstake peapod one summer, cruising the coast of Maine. Oars and a sprit rig were my motive power. It was basically primitive camping afloat.

(Chop)

The next batch of sailors being taught proper seamanship.

They'd already learned how to be generous citizens.
That's lovely, truly wonderful, thank you for sharing.

-Simon
Slimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #9
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer: 7,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
So I was living in my self-built 15' Washington County design lapstake peapod one summer, cruising the coast of Maine. Oars and a sprit rig were my motive power. It was basically primitive camping afloat.

Late one afternoon I anchored off a teensy little spit of rock and sand some might call an island. I tucked into the cove on the eastern side and dropped bow and stern anchors to keep the bow into the waves and the rolling to a minimum.

About an hour later I heard noise on the other side of the island and glanced over to see a pair of wicked nice tall wooden masts rather close by.

I pulled in my anchors and rowed around the corner to get a look at my "neighbor for the night".

There she was in all her glory,

More Info Here

Well ... since she was at anchor her sails were down, but she was a sight to see. Gen. George Patton's "When & If" was anchored on the deep water side of the spit. This was during her time as part of the LandMark School. They were on their annual summer cruise.

I rowed by looking at the rig and studying the classic lines of her hull when I was hailed by the skipper. I rowed closer and discovered I was being invited to dinner. I declined as I'd already eaten, but I did accept an invite to go aboard and get the nickle tour.

There was the skipper, the first mate and a crew of 12 or so teenagers on board. The kids were thrilled to have a visitor to show around and I think I actually got the $5 tour.

I'm sure that for some of them living in the close quarters of "When & If" was a bit of a shock the first few days. She was quite the spartan boat like most training ships. But their chests puffed out in pride as they showed me about, and I think they wondered what sort of a kook lived alone in a 15' open boat.

Dusk started falling so I got ready to cast off and go back to my side of the island. I noticed a small conference going on between several students and the first mate. Just as I prepared to cast off a group came to the rail and the first mate asked me to wait as the students had a request.

The duly elected student rep stepped forward and asked if I'd be willing to join them for breakfast the following morning.

Now I may be dumb, and I may be stupid, but I'd just seen the galley onboard, so it didn't take me long to accpet their generous offer.

The winds were quiet that night and no anchor watch was disturbed by gusts or dragging hooks.

I waited a reasonable time after daybreak and rowed around the corner and was greeted by all the students manning the rail in anticipation of the breakfast guest. The skipper and first mate were quietly grinning at how their crew seemed to have adopted a mascot. Much like folks adopt a stray dog or cat.

Fenders rigged, lines set fore and aft, oars stowed, my peapod nestled nicely alongside and I climbed the ladder to join everyone..

Scrambled eggs, home fries, bacon, and ice cold orange juice were quite a treat for me. I got to answer a zillion questions about my little boat and my plans. It almost seemed like they all stayed up all night writing questions and making sure each had a different batch to ask me.

Finally the first mate slowed the inquisition, , and reminded them of their daily tasks and the need to get underway.

I made my way to the rail again, ready to go take a long nap to let that wondrous breakie settle, when the first mate and skipper suggested I wait a moment.

A pair of students came forward and said they wanted to give me a gift. With a Ta-Da that would do Hollywood proud they whipped out a plastic bag.

It held a chunk of ice.

Those kids were sharp, they'd listened, and heard that I didn't have ice to keep my Coke chilled and that I was using a mesh bag dropped over the side to let the ocean chill the cans.

It really was touching that those kids wanted me to have access to ice cold Coke at least for a little while.

I made my way down the rope ladder to my vessel and carefully stowed the precious ice in a safe place and put a few Cokes with it.

We all said goodbye several times and I cast off.

As I rowed away I could hear the skipper and first mate giving orders and getting the kids focused on safely doing their chores and getting ready for that day's sail.

The next batch of sailors being taught proper seamanship.

They'd already learned how to be generous citizens.
Geode The stories you have are incredible ....... I need to have dinner with you again...

Still would love to hear more about family!

be a man dodge tree bark!

We’ve said it before, but it bears repeating; the GS handles in ways a two-story building was never meant to.

Taking collections for Faye Butler Training please spare some change.

www.kmotorwerks.com

Remember red and yellow make orange.so to think orange is better means you have to use two steps to get there.
________
seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #10
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,370
My previous home, on Apalachicola Bay in Florida.

My 1958 Flying Scot after a 4 year restoration and donated to a summer camp.

My Bell Canoe Rob Roy in it's 5th year of drydock.

Now living in Colorado where even the rainwater is spoken for.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #11
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer: 7,426
Rain water is spoken for?

be a man dodge tree bark!

We’ve said it before, but it bears repeating; the GS handles in ways a two-story building was never meant to.

Taking collections for Faye Butler Training please spare some change.

www.kmotorwerks.com

Remember red and yellow make orange.so to think orange is better means you have to use two steps to get there.
________
seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #12
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousracer View Post
Rain water is spoken for?
In many areas of Colorado it's illegal to collect rainwater the idea being that it would diminish downstream flow, which is all owned. A few years ago this law was repealed in Boulder County where I live but only for residents of rural areas. It's still illegal to collect rainwater in my town.
After growing up in Minnesota and never more than 10 minutes from a lake, this has taken some getting used to.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #13
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
In many areas of Colorado it's illegal to collect rainwater the idea being that it would diminish downstream flow, which is all owned. A few years ago this law was repealed in Boulder County where I live but only for residents of rural areas. It's still illegal to collect rainwater in my town.
After growing up in Minnesota and never more than 10 minutes from a lake, this has taken some getting used to.

It would not however be illegal to landscape and do your driveway, gutters etc. in such a way that does not promote the water to quickly escape. For instance, if you have all your downspouts directed over surfaces that will not permit the runoff to quickly reach the street then you have not "collected it" but you are also not diverting it.

We have an opposite problem in which most folks have their property set up to hold little to no water. So when it rains hard the streets flood, then the streams flood, then the rivers flood, and somewhere in that time your basement filled up.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:14 AM   #14
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
I'm going to Dalmatia (Croatia) on Saturday, the first time for years I'm going in peak season. There will be a lot of people watching/boat watching going on.

The harbour absolutely sucks, so it's mostly the pretentious fuckwits with more money than sense that are mooring.

I watched 47 meter "Elisa" and then 70 meter "High Power III" berthing on the webcam yesterday:

An old schooner like When&If would be more down my alley, though.

When watching the webcam yesterday, I got reminded of the beautiful resource that is www.marinetraffic.com ; I got the link here some time ago and absolutely forgot about it. There are a few nice big yachts in the vicinity that may or may not come our way in the next 2 weeks.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:30 AM   #15
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Jesus Christ, marinetraffic.com suggests that Pelorus is heading for the harbour. At 115m, they say she's among the 5 biggest private yachts in the world. And she comes with 2 (two) helipads.

Who the fuck needs 2 helipads?

Fuck work, I'm getting lunch and watch the webcam.

EDIT: Pelorus has its own wikipedia entry, is the ex-Abramovitch yacht and is now owned by record executive David Geffen. So these people need 2 helipads.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook

Flood screwed with this post 07-12-2012 at 05:02 AM
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: