Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #1741
Enduro Outlaw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdiller View Post
I'm in the process of putting on a 14 49 sproket combo. I got a brand new 120 link chain. Here's my question, do I leave all the links on the chain and adjust it from there? Like attach the master link and then try to adjust it.... Then if its too long take off the master link and a link or two? Any one out have a similar setup?

JP
Don't over think the chain adjustment. If the wheel is all the way out and your chain is to loose then take it up a link and so forth. I would not cut the chain so long that the axle adjusters are all the way out or so short you have to flip the axle blocks, somewhere in the middle is perfect. I would rather have the chain a hair long but not to long rather than cutting it to short and have the tire rubbing the mud flap.

I have a 13/48 setup and love it. The bike runs fast enough for town use and slow enough for tight trails. I was going to try 14/48 first but it was late and said screw it and i put the 13 on it and glad i did. Hell 13/50 would of been ok for what i do.
Enduro Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:36 PM   #1742
Enduro Outlaw
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifune View Post
I have a 50T rear sprocket and am seriously considering going with a 13T countershaft sprocket, so am also interested in feedback on wear.

How many links on your chain for the 13/50 combination?

I have 80 miles on my renthal 13T http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...Front-Sprocket so i can not say much on wear but i have used these sprokets for years and they hold up very well. For $20 it's not to bad considering this sprocket is taking a beating from that big 500. I had a 13T on my 690 smc and it lasted a year of hard riding.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #1743
Enduro Outlaw
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull doug View Post
My maiden voyage in the calif high desert on my new 2013 500 EXC gotta love the FI love the power and it's not even broken in yet.night and day compared to my old 525,as it well should be.Feels as ligh/flickable as my 450 excr ktm really did a nice job on this machine!
Couple of picts from yesterday 2300' to 6200'
brand new below

Break in ride here

Congrats sir! I just picked up my 13 aswell and love it. A bit tall for my short legs but it is the best bike i have every owned thus far. I bet your head is swimming with mods in your sleep as is mine. I picked mine up from the dealer and before i even rode it, it desmoged and JD tuned it, then heat cycled. I don't ever ride the freeway so town use and off raod i put a 13/48 plus an EK chain on and it rocks. I only weigh 180 geared up so that is perfect considering KTM setup the suspension for 185 riders stock.

Anyway.. Congrats to us all
Old 07-09-2012, 07:58 PM   #1744
pitbull doug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Thanks bro,hey question did you get yours with a 2013 owners manual?As I did not and It seems like no one here in the states is getting one with the new 13' 500 exc at least to my knowledge?Bike shipped from ktm before faster than the printers.LOL go figure
13 ktm 500 exc
01 Honda cr500
pitbull doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #1745
AussieClay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Chain Length

My 2012 EXC came with 15 - 45 and 114 link chain. I swapped to 14-45 and flipped the axle blocks to the longer side but still find the gearing too tall. Not sure about the 13 front either.... I want to go to 14 - 48 or 50, depending if the 114 link chain will work with the axle blocks flipped to the shorter side.

Can anyone comment on the largest rear sprocket I can get away with using the standard 114 link chain and 14 front?
AussieClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #1746
Enduro Outlaw
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull doug View Post
Thanks bro,hey question did you get yours with a 2013 owners manual?As I did not and It seems like no one here in the states is getting one with the new 13' 500 exc at least to my knowledge?Bike shipped from ktm before faster than the printers.LOL go figure
Lol.. I received a 13 manual with my bike.. lucky I know
Old 07-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #1747
Enduro Outlaw
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieClay View Post
My 2012 EXC came with 15 - 45 and 114 link chain. I swapped to 14-45 and flipped the axle blocks to the longer side but still find the gearing too tall. Not sure about the 13 front either.... I want to go to 14 - 48 or 50, depending if the 114 link chain will work with the axle blocks flipped to the shorter side.

Can anyone comment on the largest rear sprocket I can get away with using the standard 114 link chain and 14 front?
Some earlier posts state some guys can do 14/48 with stock chain with the blocks reversed. I would shell out for a new high quality rk or did chain IMHO. 13/48 is perfect for me. I read the entire thread.. All 117 pages lol. From what I read you will need a longer chain. 118 I believe.. Shot me if I'm wrong.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #1748
avconnect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enduro Outlaw View Post
I have 80 miles on my renthal 13T http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...Front-Sprocket so i can not say much on wear but i have used these sprokets for years and they hold up very well. For $20 it's not to bad considering this sprocket is taking a beating from that big 500. I had a 13T on my 690 smc and it lasted a year of hard riding.
It is not the sprocket we are concerned about in terms of wear. The 13t sprocket causes the chain to wear and rub more on the swing arm pivot where there is a plastic wear block. That slide or wear block appears to be rapidly wearing such that the chain may soon cut through and start damaging the swing arm.
avconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:41 PM   #1749
Enduro Outlaw
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by avconnect View Post
It is not the sprocket we are concerned about in terms of wear. The 13t sprocket causes the chain to wear and rub more on the swing arm pivot where there is a plastic wear block. That slide or wear block appears to be rapidly wearing such that the chain may soon cut through and start damaging the swing arm.
I see. It appears the chain will rub more, it will be one of those things you just have to keep an eye on. Acerbis makes replacements that aren't to expensive, or order stock parts. As long as you replace the guides when they wear down you should be fine. I usually order and keep high wear items like that on hand just incase.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:42 AM   #1750
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieClay View Post

The 14/48 will work with stock chain flip blocks. IF you go more than 48 (say to 49) you will need longer chain or add lengths. My experience anyway. I tried the 13 up front and did not like it. Not enough top end for my riding and first and second were just wasted...

A buddy of mine just got a 2013. Doesnt seem to be changed at all but thats not official just us looking. He did get a manual. Purchased in B'ham AL.

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:03 AM   #1751
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,164
I run the 14/48 and it seems to be a nice compromise between single track and jaunts on the highway. I can still do 80mph comfortably, and lug 1st and 2nd gear through the single tracks....

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:26 AM   #1752
Vico1
The Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
I run the 14/48 and it seems to be a nice compromise between single track and jaunts on the highway. I can still do 80mph comfortably, and lug 1st and 2nd gear through the single tracks....
Am I missing something. Im at 14/48 and my bike is singing at 65mph. I have not really tried to max it out but 80 sounds way up there for my grearing.... or maybe I just dont like the sound of red line....

Old 07-10-2012, 06:35 AM   #1753
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
Am I missing something. Im at 14/48 and my bike is singing at 65mph. I have not really tried to max it out but 80 sounds way up there for my grearing.... or maybe I just dont like the sound of red line....

Redline? I don't know about that, since I don't have a tach, but I do know the bike pulled strong at 80 mph, and still had some room for 85. Now, I wouldn't keep it there for an extended period of time, not with the 14/48 gearing. Where I ride single track I'll often hit the dirt road to get back to my trailer. I'll often hit 75 - 80 with no issues or worries.

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:41 AM   #1754
pitbull doug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enduro Outlaw View Post
Lol.. I received a 13 manual with my bike.. lucky I know
What state are you located in?Man you did get lucky as I have not heard anyone getting the 2013 OM with 500exc?Hope ktm gets us one soon,should be interesting or make a 2013 500exc OM USA available online,but you know I just like having my OM in print as well too.
13 ktm 500 exc
01 Honda cr500
pitbull doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:08 AM   #1755
Vico1
The Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
Redline? I don't know about that, since I don't have a tach, but I do know the bike pulled strong at 80 mph, and still had some room for 85. Now, I wouldn't keep it there for an extended period of time, not with the 14/48 gearing. Where I ride single track I'll often hit the dirt road to get back to my trailer. I'll often hit 75 - 80 with no issues or worries.
No I do not have tac either but know when the revs start getting really high. Next time I get a chance I will nail the sucker and see what she will do.... or blow up!

85 is pleanty speed for me thank you...