User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 55 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 06:13 AM   #1351
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,391
I get a kick out of watching the die hard glow guys at the local field. Don't get me wrong, glow is fine, but I do find it funny when they stall on taxi out or as they lift it off the pit table. That and the constant fiddling as the weather changes. I prefer to simply plug the battery in and fly.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:16 AM   #1352
nadams
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02TAC View Post
I get a kick out of watching the die hard glow guys at the local field. Don't get me wrong, glow is fine, but I do find it funny when they stall on taxi out or as they lift it off the pit table. That and the constant fiddling as the weather changes. I prefer to simply plug the battery in and fly.
Same can be said about cars/trucks as well. I remember all the constant fiddling... running around with the body off so I could tweak it just right... then put the body on and it would die . Or, trying to get it started forever and ending up with a face full of fumes. Good times!

There is something to be said for the sound, though. Gotta love the snort of a high-compression nitro engine (or 10).
nadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:35 AM   #1353
tommyg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Modern nitros arent that hard to tune, Ive got a slayer pro and a tmaxx, both run great. It does take some time to learn , but its worth it. A temp gauge is a must have for tuning. I do like electric, my brushless rustrler is super fast with 2cell lipos, but nothing beats a nitro engine screaming at 35000rpms.
tommyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #1354
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyg View Post
Modern nitros arent that hard to tune, Ive got a slayer pro and a tmaxx, both run great. It does take some time to learn , but its worth it. A temp gauge is a must have for tuning. I do like electric, my brushless rustrler is super fast with 2cell lipos, but nothing beats a nitro engine screaming at 35000rpms.
Different strokes.

I would be shocked it nitro even exists in 10 more years.....me I do not miss it one bit. I use to buy 409 by the gallon.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #1355
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will LC8 View Post
I wouldn't call myself a nut but am starting to get into radio controlled cars again. About 6 years ago I bought a nitro car because I always wanted one when I was in my teens. I thought it had a real cool factor with the exhaust note, also I remember having to wait hours for a battery to charge to get 10 minutes of run time in an old hornet my neighbor had.

I got over the nitro thing real quik after screwing with the engine and constantly breaking parts. Still seemed to get 15 minutes of run time to $45 in broken parts. After a coulple months the car sat idle in my garage for the past 5 years.

My buudy has a son in a wheelchair and one of the hobbies he's into big time being a teen is RC cars. They told me to try an electric car as they a pretty good today and he's gotten rid of all his nitro stuff and replaced it with electric.

I bought an HPI Savage XS a couple weeks ago and todays electric cars are awsome. The thing will do a standing back flip if you squeeze the trigger fast. Batteries charge in about an hour and the thing is night and day difference with what I remember as a kid. Back then it was three speeds forward and you hit reverse for brakes. Now you have infinite speed control and progressive braking. Unreal power and decent runtimes have me hooked.

I think I'm now now and looking to get a short course truck too and check out a race.

Depending on what the nitro car is you might be able to convert it to brushless and get some more life out of it.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #1356
Guzz
Gutless wonder

Oddometer: 4,899
Here is what I built about a year ago:

It's a R/C racing sailboat, Class: Marblehead (50/800) Design: Monarch by Graham Bantock Material: Paulowina

If you want to read the build log, Go to RCGroups: Monarch Marblehead Yes, I did make everything. Hull, Fin, Bulb, Rudder, Sails. And I have been winning trophies with it in my area. I'm going to San Diego next month to compete in the Marblehead NCR. I hope I can at least place with it.

When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson
Guzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #1357
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzz View Post

[

If you want to read the build log, Go to RCGroups: Monarch Marblehead Yes, I did make everything. Hull, Fin, Bulb, Rudder, Sails. And I have been winning trophies with it in my area. I'm going to San Diego next month to compete in the Marblehead NCR. I hope I can at least place with it.
That is beautiful!
Old 07-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #1358
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02TAC View Post
I'm about ready to give up on glow, too. I'm having too much fun with an electric Super Sportster.

And, I can fly it anywhere!
Old 07-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #1359
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,479
Quote:

It's a R/C racing sailboat, Class: Marblehead (50/800) Design: Monarch by Graham Bantock Material: Paulowina

Nice boat. I had a few Kyosho Seawinds and Fairwinds but never a true race boat.

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #1360
Desert Skies
One brick shy...

Oddometer: 2,245
Quote:

Beautiful craftsmanship... Don't see this all that much anymore.

My flying field was being over run with members with deep pockets, giant scale ARFs with radios that cost enough to put a kid through college. Sad fact was, they couldn't glue two stick of balsa together using cyanoacrolate.

Refreshing to see someone that looks at this as a hobby, not a means to impress.
Tripn' with Tom Some pictures ZZ Rider - Tom Lowry Texas Blue - Tom Lowry

Desert Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:19 PM   #1361
Guzz
Gutless wonder

Oddometer: 4,899
To be honest, the hull was the easiest thing. Once I got how to make consistent strips, laying them up was really a no brainier. I didn't use CA, so that just added some extra build time, but actually made it easier to do. Since I had some time to make sure things lined up properly.

I'm contemplating making another one.

When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson
Guzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #1362
Bender
I can pass this guy.

Oddometer: 32,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
Different strokes.

I would be shocked it nitro even exists in 5 more years.....me I do not miss it one bit. I use to buy 409 by the gallon.
Fixed for my outlook.

You can't hardly sell a nitro model these days, ya almost have to give them away.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:11 AM   #1363
nadams
Studly Adventurer

Good news - got the new motor in. Bad news - it doesn't work, either. Guess i need to be looking at the esc next.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-09-2012, 05:01 AM   #1364
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Skies View Post
Beautiful craftsmanship... Don't see this all that much anymore.

My flying field was being over run with members with deep pockets, giant scale ARFs with radios that cost enough to put a kid through college. Sad fact was, they couldn't glue two stick of balsa together using cyanoacrolate.

Refreshing to see someone that looks at this as a hobby, not a means to impress.
I see this as two sides to the coin, I did that, took all winter and then some to stick build a plane, but with the new stuff I agree it is so easy to get in the air.

Some people like to build, some people like to fly some want to do both, and others want small bits of "building".

Myself I am in the stage that I like to fly....I don't want to build a large RC model anymore. If I get the craving to go back to balsa I will build a guillows model or something, and those are a challange. But for flying I fly mostly foam anymore....I don't crash much anymore but I just like the ease of it. I have a few balsa models, eflight stuff but I don't think I have any of my stick built models anymore....they were all slimers and I sold them off YEARS ago, before electric got as popular as it is now...nicads and brushed motors and such. First real foam plane was an old Terry...I started with a GWS tiger moth...that was a cool little electric plane.

and I really liked that plane, finally bought a radian and caught my first thermal this weekend in years, the plane was a speck in the sky in nothing flat....

I know what you are talking about, and those are the guys that you can buy their radio from for nothing in 3 months....they are also the ones that want to start off with a spitfire.

Anymore I don't count against anyone no matter what they fly or drive as long as they are not a large type ass then all is ok....I really don't have to worry much about it anymore as I fly in my front yard....pleasure of living in the country with pasture all around you.

A few people here where I work want to take up flying, but seem put off that they cant start out with something cool like an EDF F-100 fly fly model...I tell them well you can start with that but you will finish about 10 sec after you start. I always try to talk them into something like an easy* or clone of it...not near as cool, even if you try to sell it as a camera plane.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #1365
nadams
Studly Adventurer

Got my motor/esc situation figured out... Was a real RTFM moment... haven't had one of those in a while

Turns out, the receiver plug labeled Batt/CH5 is not the correct place to plug the ESC in... The correct place would be CH2, which is right next to the two plugs marked CH1, which are for the steering servos. CH3 and 4 are marked as not used in the manual, and Batt/CH5 is in case you're running an ESC without a built-in BEC.

Oops.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: