Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2012, 06:09 AM   #15766
RMAK
The Magnanimous

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
Fitted heated grips to the Scrambler today, will make those cold rides much better.

Cheers Terry
That's great, Terry. But when does it get cold in Australia? I was there for a few days in the late 60's and it was hot. I thought you only had a rainy season.
RMAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:17 AM   #15767
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMAK View Post
That's great, Terry. But when does it get cold in Australia? I was there for a few days in the late 60's and it was hot. I thought you only had a rainy season.
It's winter ATM Rich, down here in the Southern states it's 14 - 16c most days, for us that's cold.

We spent last week up in Queensand...lovely 22c

Terry

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:49 AM   #15768
ChuBrocka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Procom igniter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyChosen1 View Post
Anyone ever had any experience with the Procom igniter ?

I lost spark on the right cylinder this weekend. After checking everything it looks like the igniter has failed. No way in hell am I going to spend $670 for the Triumph replacement unit.

I had the same problem this spring. Ended up cooking the chrome of my top exhaust pipe because the fuel was passing through the cylinder and burning in the pipe! I bought the Promom unit from British customs and it has been running well for me. I have only been running it since late May/early June though, so I can't say much about it's longevity. For the price I'd say it's worth trying.
ChuBrocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:24 AM   #15769
MightyChosen1
Flim-Flam Man

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuBrocka View Post
I had the same problem this spring. Ended up cooking the chrome of my top exhaust pipe because the fuel was passing through the cylinder and burning in the pipe! I bought the Promom unit from British customs and it has been running well for me. I have only been running it since late May/early June though, so I can't say much about it's longevity. For the price I'd say it's worth trying.

I ordered one this morning form NewBonneville. I have to to say in almost 3 years of owning the Scrambler this is the first time I have ever had any problems with it. I had been noticing a slight miss that only seemed to occur in very hot weather for a couple months. Strange that it seems to usually be the right cylinder that dies from what I read over on the TriumphRat forum.

Have you changed any of the tuning parameters on yours? I already downloaded the software and may tune it a bit.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #15770
optical
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
4 Oil changes later and the scrambler seems good as new.

Who knew it was amphibious. Like a Tank!
optical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #15771
sillymike
Yep! That's me...

Oddometer: 137
While I will not go out and seek rocky sections to play with the Scram... I feel they are bound to occur when you're out and about exploring the back roads...

And that factory skid plate that's 3" too short and leave the oil filter has been "bugging" for some time. Heck, it's been known to give me nightmare... where I dream that some rock will puncture the filter, and I'll be stuck in the middle of no-where... looking for a new filter and 4q of oil

-

So to help me sleep better, I added a 3" extension... I was going to get a local guy to weld it... but decided to have it is hinged instead, so I don't need to remove the skidplate for the occasional oil change.

There's a little less than 1/4" clearance between the bolt and the filter, so for good measures, I taped a piece inner tube over the bolts...
sillymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #15772
mint julep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
@SillyMike - Well done!

I thought the same when I received my Scram and looked underneath and said WTF? Why didn't they cover that filter for maximum coverage.

It did make me want to find or have built a longer plate.
what you did is a great idea. makes a whole lot of sense to me.

Dave
mint julep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:06 AM   #15773
tri boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 720
Quote:
Anyone ever had any experience with the Procom igniter ?

Fitted a Procom igniter about 5mths ago, after Triumph NZ wanted to seperate me from$1400NZ.
Easy friendly bunch at procom. Nothing was a problem re freight etc to New Zealand, and the product works fine.

PS, Been a while since I posted, (computers and me don't always get on).
My bike is over 50 000km and still purring along.
Valves etc are fine,and I still smile when I fire her up. Happy days.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:15 AM   #15774
ChuBrocka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
I ordered one this morning form NewBonneville. I have to to say in almost 3 years of owning the Scrambler this is the first time I have ever had any problems with it. I had been noticing a slight miss that only seemed to occur in very hot weather for a couple months. Strange that it seems to usually be the right cylinder that dies from what I read over on the TriumphRat forum.

Have you changed any of the tuning parameters on yours? I already downloaded the software and may tune it a bit.

Haven't played with the programming yet. I'm only a year in with biking and haven't gotten that adventurous yet. The furthest I've gone is checking my valves after the dealer wanted $950 for the 24,000 mile service package. If you play around with it be sure to post your results. I'd be interested to see what you can do with it.
ChuBrocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:47 AM   #15775
MightyChosen1
Flim-Flam Man

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuBrocka View Post
Haven't played with the programming yet. I'm only a year in with biking and haven't gotten that adventurous yet. The furthest I've gone is checking my valves after the dealer wanted $950 for the 24,000 mile service package. If you play around with it be sure to post your results. I'd be interested to see what you can do with it.

$950 ? Whats involved with the 24k service? A new motor?

I just finished checking my valves at 16K miles and they were still in spec. My bike has never been back to the dealer since I bought it. One reason is the nearest dealer is 150 miles away, The other is because I am a cheapskate and wont pay those kind of fees.

Hopefully my igniter will be in by the end of the week. I'll let you know how it performs.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #15776
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,865
Funny everyone speaks of their valves staying in spec.
My valves were out of spec at 12K and required adjustment.
I wonder if that has to do with riding style by each owner?

I know I wring the neck of my Scrambler... I'm always chasing a Moto Guzzi down...

At my 12K service the valve adjustment and TB sync (plus a much needed filter cleaning) really improved the running of my bike.
FWIW...
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:21 PM   #15777
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,568
Just tried out the heated hand grips on the Scrambler, worked a treat even came back with summer gloves on..warm hands, bliss

Cheers Terry

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #15778
allan68
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Terry,

What brand of grips did you purchase and where did you hook the wires up to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
Just tried out the heated hand grips on the Scrambler, worked a treat even came back with summer gloves on..warm hands, bliss

Cheers Terry
2001 LC4 640e > sold
Super Tenere > sold
allan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #15779
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 907
OK, so it's a Bonneville. But we like Bonnies too. And, regardless, this video sure does the trick:

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread

amanlikemike screwed with this post 07-12-2012 at 10:27 AM
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #15780
BronkoRob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
alright scrambler gurus...i got a question.

in the market for a new bike this fall. im a vintage fanatic, but my next bike i want modern reliability, good brakes, and modern suspension. the scrambler seems to be a good mix from what ive read, still working on the other 1000 pages of this thread though.

my 3 bikes in the mix right now are the scrambler, sportster, and a monster. I know all different bikes, but they fit my price range and seem like good commuter bikes. i have never owned a triumph or a ducati, but had an 87 sportster. it had issues when i got it from crap fixes from previous owners, and it was only a 4 speed. so im putting that behind me and have heard good stuff from the newer bikes. im not familiar with the triumph and ducati quirks and issues.

right now number one is the scrambler though. i love the desert sled look, and i like the idea that i can take it on some dirt roads and truck trails in my area and do some exploring. I have a dirt bike, so im not looking for a true dual sport, but like i said i like that desert sled look, and wouldnt mind getting it dirty once in awhile on reasonable terrain.

do the scramblers come with a different suspension setup than the other triumphs to make it more "dual sportish" or is this just a bonneville with high pipes? what are the other differences that are specific to the scrambler?

also to all you guys that got one, what were your other choices when you were looking for a bike and what pushed you towards the triumph?