Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #13471
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by orv View Post
Hit a deer. Need to order some plastic parts in front of the forks. Any source better than dealer or bike bandit? TIA
don't think there is. maybe let your insurance company deal with it...?
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #13472
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Yup. So is the engine on my mate's S3. Undiluted it's very powerful stuff - use with extreme care.
Umm, yeah. I use it to strip paint and primer on models. Not a chance I'd use it on a painted surface that I cared about without cutting it significantly with water and rinsing it immediately.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #13473
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,471
Quote:
Hit a deer.
I know your pain...

(not on the Tiger though)
Old 07-10-2012, 06:02 AM   #13474
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,548
Quote:
Hit a deer. Need to order some plastic parts in front of the forks. Any source better than dealer or bike bandit? TIA

Triumph Parts Locator has decent blow ups and lists. Best so far, but no USA source so far.
I've been buying some part though these guys on the Fleabay, so I don't know if they discount everyday prices, but on the Flea they are very reasonable and have fast shipping.

http://myworld.ebay.com/hattiesburgc...84.m1497.l2754
Old 07-10-2012, 07:09 AM   #13475
aarlint
noob rider

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by hecpilot View Post
Just out of curiosity, do you have both keys on the same keyring?
Negative. One is in the house and the other on the bike... I originally thought this might be the issue.
aarlint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #13476
basepc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Roadie Center Stand

Showed dings caused by the centerstand on the underside of my Roadies swingarm to the dealer and I am now getting a new swingarm.
basepc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #13477
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by basepc View Post
Showed dings caused by the centerstand on the underside of my Roadies swingarm to the dealer and I am now getting a new swingarm.
Hi BasePC,
New swingarm? Are the dents that substantial? New centerstand too then to prevent it from happening again?
Old 07-10-2012, 09:22 PM   #13478
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,837
So, last weekend I got my center stand installed - best farkle on the bike so far ...

And today the 15mm raising links arrived and I got them installed:

I installed just the links, then did a short test ride. I might imagine it but I think it falls just ever so slightly quicker into corners. Not a big difference, but I think it's noticeable. I'll know more when I have a chance to go out and ride my favorite routes.

After that I moved the front forks down so that they sit flush with the upper fork clamp now. That gives me about 4mm more in the front and 15mm in the rear. Long term we'll see whether I'm still dragging the foot pegs. Probably - though just a bit later and maybe not as often.

But one thing is certain: I'm very happy that I bought only the 15mm raising links.

The rear wheel is still about 10mm off the ground when the bike is on the standard Roadie center stand, it doesn't lean much further on the side stand and I didn't notice any other issues with this.

The next step will be to get the front suspension upgraded. Want to look into getting Traxxion AK-20 fork cartridges installed. Then have the seat re-worked to be about 20mm higher and more comfy, get some Pivot Pegz with rubber tops (heavier - might reduce vibration just a bit more than the standard pegs without the rubber thingy in), install the heated grips which sit in the garage now for 4 months already, get either some Bark Buster Storm handguards or the ones from the Tiger 1050, look into luggage. This bike seems to really get a royal treatment with me ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:32 AM   #13479
henryII
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
khaki green

Spotted this at my dealer last day. I think the color looks good on the XC

http://www.triumph-hinckley.no/

[/URL]
henryII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:33 AM   #13480
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryII View Post
Spotted this at my dealer last day. I think the color looks good on the XC

Me likey - that is a very sharp looking bike.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:41 AM   #13481
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,404
The new green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Me likey - that is a very sharp looking bike.
I like it too. Very 'British' looking.

Matt finish paint is all fine as long as you don't have to patch it, polish it, or touch it up. The sheen is impossible to match. But it has a nice look to it. For the little bit of painted finish on these bikes it's just easier to keep up a gloss finish.

I'm still toying with trying to match the 'venom yellow' that comes on the '12 roadie. Colorite doesn't list it so Triumph must not have licensed it or authorized them to match it. Could probably get a custom mix really close, but would need a swatch/sample to give to the mixer.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:50 AM   #13482
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
So, last weekend I got my center stand installed - best farkle on the bike so far ...

And today the 15mm raising links arrived and I got them installed:

I installed just the links, then did a short test ride. I might imagine it but I think it falls just ever so slightly quicker into corners. Not a big difference, but I think it's noticeable. I'll know more when I have a chance to go out and ride my favorite routes.

After that I moved the front forks down so that they sit flush with the upper fork clamp now. That gives me about 4mm more in the front and 15mm in the rear. Long term we'll see whether I'm still dragging the foot pegs. Probably - though just a bit later and maybe not as often.

But one thing is certain: I'm very happy that I bought only the 15mm raising links.

The rear wheel is still about 10mm off the ground when the bike is on the standard Roadie center stand, it doesn't lean much further on the side stand and I didn't notice any other issues with this.

The next step will be to get the front suspension upgraded. Want to look into getting Traxxion AK-20 fork cartridges installed. Then have the seat re-worked to be about 20mm higher and more comfy, get some Pivot Pegz with rubber tops (heavier - might reduce vibration just a bit more than the standard pegs without the rubber thingy in), install the heated grips which sit in the garage now for 4 months already, get either some Bark Buster Storm handguards or the ones from the Tiger 1050, look into luggage. This bike seems to really get a royal treatment with me ...
Was the main reason you installed the raising links to get more clearance when leaning?
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:08 AM   #13483
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Was the main reason you installed the raising links to get more clearance when leaning?
Yes. Of course I take a little bit quicker handling if it comes with it, but ground clearance was the main reason.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #13484
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Yes. Of course I take a little bit quicker handling if it comes with it, but ground clearance was the main reason.
Oooh, I like it. Where did you buy those? US distributor?
Old 07-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #13485
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by marloweluke View Post
Oooh, I like it. Where did you buy those? US distributor?
I bought them from Lust Racing. But there are other vendors on eBay for example. Lust Racing was just the one I found and they had a size I actually liked (I didn't want to go too high because of side and center stand issues, I also like the handling of the bike as is fairly well, but wanted just that bit more ground clearance).

And don't get me wrong: from the very limited test riding I did since I installed them I neither know whether I will scrape pegs later (though I should, given that the rear is 15mm higher now) or whether it has any effect on handling (I guess it will, but not much).

I'm happy with that change at the moment, how it will work out long term and whether there are any adverse effects, I can't tell yet. I might know a bit more after the coming weekend as we have a 700 mile weekend trip planned.