ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 200 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #4261
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Not entirely accurate. You can substitute your own icon for the blue flag, but it is not an entirely simple process to explain.

There is a link around here somewhere with that information.

Maybe google Garmin Montana GPSr custom symbols.
I've read that info, but I'm wondering if you can actually override a standard Garmin symbol. I'd like to eliminate the Blue Pushpin in the Montana route display, but it is added "by the system" and is not referred to in the Route's GPX file.

I could experiment, but thought you might know ...

Bob
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:14 AM   #4262
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
I've read that info, but I'm wondering if you can actually override a standard Garmin symbol. I'd like to eliminate the Blue Pushpin in the Montana route display, but it is added "by the system" and is not referred to in the Route's GPX file.

I could experiment, but thought you might know ...

Bob
Can you send me one of your offending route.gpx files?
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:58 AM   #4263
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker View Post

I find the Montana not to be "impossible" but it sure it demonstrates repeated bugginess with white screens, uncommanded resets, screen lockups, etc. The Oregon was/is clumsy but gives me less problems. After having been available to the public for as long as it has, combined with the price premium, I find the Montana performance inexcusable and if there were a valid competitor I'd ditch Garmin in a heartbeat due to these functionality issues.

Possibly worse by today's standards is that Garmin's user interface is YEARS behind and the only company which drives me crazier is RIM. While the Montana has all sorts of potential customization as a potentially positive feature, you have to remember how to continually drill through numerous screens. I personally also find their architecture for using the touch screen to be a pain, especially with gloves. And this IS an outdoor device where gloves and heat should both be considered part of the normal environment.
Agreed on all points----I sent mine back 3 times---ruined 4 outings------I finally gave it to my son who finally threw it away as he couldn't believe someone would put such a poor product on the market.
He's head of a computer software company---so technical things are easy peezy for him.

He used the Montana for a paper weight for awhile---but everytime he looked at it he got mad--and in the trash it went---as it wouldn't fit in the paper shredder.

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:51 AM   #4264
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,771
Mines works great

I've just retuned from 4 days of riding and the Montana worked great. I used it for following routes and tracks both on road and off. It did shut down once when there was poor satellite coverage but my Oregon would shutdown occasionally too.

This makes 3 trips in 2 months and no real problems to speak of

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:50 AM   #4265
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,697
Thumb

Gotta add that after another 1,000mi and remounting the Cradle in a new position and with the screws a bit looser..... NO MO screen whiteouts!!!!! Been solid ever since. Seem to have reduced the vibration enough to straighten 'er out.
JJ

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 07-10-2012 at 07:58 AM
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:12 AM   #4266
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Looking for cute custom vehicle icons? This site has some amazing ones.

http://www.vehiclesforgarminnuvi.com/
Cool site......thanks!

Jon...
Old 07-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #4267
Tourniquet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Just did about 1,000 miles with the Montana. It seemed to perform pretty well. Although the interface is pretty archaic - how can in 2012 there not be a function for a push and hold on a touch screen? It seems like you are chopping off one of your arms if you design a touch screen with the only two inputs beinga touch and a swipe...

The google map that I made and turned into a GPX file was transferred to the Montana as a track. I guess you can't "navigate" a track? Anyway IT was fine but it wouldnt give me directions just a colored line follow. Is there any way I can take a KML (KLM?) from google maps and make it to a "route" where the montana will actually guide me along?

I wish the zoom in and out buttons were bigger!
Tourniquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #4268
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Open your track in Basecamp, then just right click on the track and select "create route from track". Just make sure you make the points in the route less than 50. Bingo.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #4269
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourniquet View Post
how can in 2012 there not be a function for a push and hold on a touch screen? It seems like you are chopping off one of your arms if you design a touch screen with the only two inputs beinga touch and a swipe...!
What do you mean by 'push and hold'? When you're moving icons around you push down on it, hold, then drag it to where you want it to go. Is that what you mean?
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #4270
Jan from Finland
Registered

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
I think you are looking at Route Properties..
Yes, I was. Thanks for the explanation. Perhaps I should look at the MapSource. I just have figured out the BaseCamp. I have been using the Magellan MapSend for years.
- Pro Travel Tip by Overland Journal
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan from Finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #4271
Tourniquet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
What do you mean by 'push and hold'? When you're moving icons around you push down on it, hold, then drag it to where you want it to go. Is that what you mean?

sure on the home screen - but when you are looking at a map I would like to be able to push on a spot and have it come up with a list of options instead of the only option to mark as a waypoint.

imagine if you have a route plan and you see a cool road you like the looks of. Push and hold on that road and it comes up with a menu "create a vai point through, search for poi's here, calculate distance to" etc.
Tourniquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:21 AM   #4272
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,072
Quote:
sure on the home screen - but when you are looking at a map I would like to be able to push on a spot and have it come up with a list of options instead of the only option to mark as a waypoint.

imagine if you have a route plan and you see a cool road you like the looks of. Push and hold on that road and it comes up with a menu "create a vai point through, search for poi's here, calculate distance to" etc.
It already works like that. When you're on the map screen, click on some place, and if a pushpin is dropped there you'll see a clickable area at the top of the screen. If there are multiple items of interest in the area you clicked on there will be multiple items to select.

Here's the sequence:

Click an area; drag the map around so your pushpin is on the place you want it to be and you get something like this:

There were multiple POIs in the place I clicked, as indicated by the multiple line icon, so I get this:

Click the one named "Kingston":

The flag at the bottom of the screen above allows you to save it as a waypoint.

Another example:

So pretty much all you ask for is already possible.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 07-11-2012 at 12:03 PM
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:22 AM   #4273
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,885
Quote:
imagine if you have a route plan and you see a cool road you like the looks of..

All you have to do now is turn down that road, then let GPS recalculate. If you have the right avoidance selected (avoid U turns) it works. You follow that new road, and at the other end the GPS puts you back on track.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #4274
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Agreed on all points----I sent mine back 3 times---ruined 4 outings------I finally gave it to my son who finally threw it away as he couldn't believe someone would put such a poor product on the market.
He's head of a computer software company---so technical things are easy peezy for him.

He used the Montana for a paper weight for awhile---but everytime he looked at it he got mad--and in the trash it went---as it wouldn't fit in the paper shredder.

BigDog
Anyone that wants to through away their Montana, please PM me and I'll pay postage for you to send it to me after you un-register it with Garmin.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #4275
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Anyone that wants to through away their Montana, please PM me and I'll pay postage for you to send it to me after you un-register it with Garmin.

Cheers,
I'll pay Double postage!!
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote