Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #61
moto-scoot bill OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Wrong evaluation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EetsOK View Post
Jeezuz...that (j)ANUS sure took a beating from the ugly stick.
NOT SO QUICK BASH MASTER

the epa cert. was not required for this first run of up to 75 units produced. after that, each model must go through the epa lab for certification. 2 things...that is not cheap, but more importantly is how tough passing that test can be. that is why the number of even a 50cc 2-stroke moped has dwindled to just a few available in the u.s.
i know the janus guys are looking for a suitable air cooled / retro looking motor such as the one that sym puts into their wolf classic 150. btw, i know the wolf very well, and it is every inch of the quality of a honda....and yes, they build bikes and autos for honda.

moto-scoot bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #62
rxkea
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Cant please them all....

[QUOTE=moto-scoot bill;19068557]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostdncr View Post
This stab at free marketing research is going well, don't you think? [/QUOTE

WHY NOT JUST TALK ABOUT CARGO RACKS ALL DAY.....HOW BORING

For some the mounting bolt placement on an adventure rack could cause days of anguish and many posts to satisfy their paranoia just in case it fails on the SilK Road or somewhere else that they will never go. Fools with nothing better to do than moan. Variety and new stuff even if you dont like it is where new ideas and trends come from. Some work some dont.
rxkea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #63
ghostdncr
Burnin' daylight...

Oddometer: 1,122
[QUOTE=rxkea;19100561]
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-scoot bill View Post

For some the mounting bolt placement on an adventure rack could cause days of anguish and many posts to satisfy their paranoia just in case it fails on the SilK Road or somewhere else that they will never go. Fools with nothing better to do than moan. Variety and new stuff even if you dont like it is where new ideas and trends come from. Some work some dont.
Not sure how I got connected to cargo rack paranoia, but I've been connected to a lot worse. Silk road be damned. I don't want my loaded cargo rack coming off a mile from the house!

Quote:

THIS, I like! Great lines and well balanced, this bike should sell like hotcakes to beginning riders and the hipsters who can't or don't want to build up/fool with an older bike.
ghostdncr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #64
EetsOK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
NOT SO QUICK BASH MASTER

the epa cert. was not required for this first run of up to 75 units produced. after that, each model must go through the epa lab for certification. 2 things...that is not cheap, but more importantly is how tough passing that test can be. that is why the number of even a 50cc 2-stroke moped has dwindled to just a few available in the u.s.
i know the janus guys are looking for a suitable air cooled / retro looking motor such as the one that sym puts into their wolf classic 150. btw, i know the wolf very well, and it is every inch of the quality of a honda....and yes, they build bikes and autos for honda.

What the hell is wrong with you? That (j)ANUS is one ugly mutha.
Bashing? What do you mean? Here is a dictionary defination for bashing. I suggest you look up the meaning of words before you thrwo them around in some lame attempt to do ...what again? http://www.thefreedictionary.com/bashing
Where did I question he reliability? I didn't but your Freudian slip has confirmed what we all know: Chinese made SHIT. Every Chinese product is one more North American job gone. Fuck you and go away. Preferably with the (j)ANUS in the right spot too.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #65
zoo mob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Wow, harsh. Not sure you have a solid understanding of how globalization works. I'm of course assuming that you are a man of conviction and are doing your web -surfing on an American-made computer.

That being said, I too would never buy a Chinese-made car or motorcycle.
zoo mob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #66
EetsOK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoo mob View Post
Wow, harsh. Not sure you have a solid understanding of how globalization works. I'm of course assuming that you are a man of conviction and are doing your web -surfing on an American-made computer.

That being said, I too would never buy a Chinese-made car or motorcycle.
Not being harsh, being realistic. I try to avoid Chinese made products but I can't always do it.
I try to buy domestic when I can. I really try to buy local and use local independent business too.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:38 PM   #67
Aghartha
Awesome

Oddometer: 340
These bikes are so gross.

Why is this crap even in the Old School subforum?
Aghartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #68
moto-scoot bill OP
Gnarly Adventurer

made in the usa takes guts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aghartha View Post
These bikes are so gross.

Why is this crap even in the Old School subforum?
because the janus is an american built bike for the most part......maybe the should use a briggs & straton engine to satisfy the anti asian mob. how many american companies are starting up to build motorcycles nowadays? oh-yeah, i forgot the build a chopper movement......duh, and i live in milwaukee, how stupid of me. my hats off to janus for even having the guts to attempt a business venture building motorcycles in the usa. they are trying to build bikes along the lines of early bikes, not complete replicas.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #69
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,513
Quote:
how many american companies are starting up to build motorcycles nowadays?
If anyone wants to throw money at me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
I think I need to create my own bike now. I've got a foundry and a machine shop.. at home.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #70
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
If anyone wants to throw money at me:
When did you start stripping?
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #71
Aghartha
Awesome

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
because the janus is an american built bike for the most part......maybe the should use a briggs & straton engine to satisfy the anti asian mob. how many american companies are starting up to build motorcycles nowadays? oh-yeah, i forgot the build a chopper movement......duh, and i live in milwaukee, how stupid of me. my hats off to janus for even having the guts to attempt a business venture building motorcycles in the usa. they are trying to build bikes along the lines of early bikes, not complete replicas.
That's not even close to what I asked.

WHY IS THIS THREAD ABOUT NEWLY PRODUCED BIKES IN THE VINTAGE BIKE SUBFORUM?! I don't give a shit if they are "made" in America.

Should I be expecting a diatribe on tire choices in response to this now?
Aghartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #72
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aghartha View Post
That's not even close to what I asked.

WHY IS THIS THREAD ABOUT NEWLY PRODUCED BIKES IN THE VINTAGE BIKE SUBFORUM?! I don't give a shit if they are "made" in America.

Should I be expecting a diatribe on tire choices in response to this now?

Because it started as a thread about a Board Tracker Replica, and indeed most of the bikes referenced are modern takes on vintage bikes.

The problem is simply thus.

You cannot make a bike look good if there is a whole ton of "open" air through the frame. Not gonna happen. And if they want to build bikes like that they need to source larger power plants, or scale the whole bike down to match the dimensions of the engine they are using.

Its a double edge sword, can you have both a small 50cc engine, and a step over frame, with out it looking like some aborted attempt at a motorcycle. And I think the answer is not really, ya cannot have that space in the frame.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #73
PJay
Any bike, anywhere

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G View Post
You cannot make a bike look good if there is a whole ton of "open" air through the frame. Not gonna happen.
1969 Triumph Bonneville.

QED.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #74
moto-scoot bill OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G View Post
Because it started as a thread about a Board Tracker Replica, and indeed most of the bikes referenced are modern takes on vintage bikes.

The problem is simply thus.

You cannot make a bike look good if there is a whole ton of "open" air through the frame. Not gonna happen. And if they want to build bikes like that they need to source larger power plants, or scale the whole bike down to match the dimensions of the engine they are using.

Its a double edge sword, can you have both a small 50cc engine, and a step over frame, with out it looking like some aborted attempt at a motorcycle. And I think the answer is not really, ya cannot have that space in the frame.
THAT IS COMPLETELY TRUE WITH THE SMALL MOTOR / TOO MUCH OPEN AIR. the JANUS company got a 75 unit limit for the amount of bikes they can produce as street legal until the epa certification testing takes over for any more produced. they are trying to find a larger engine that will PASS EPA. that is the hard part. the 50cc derbi motor they put in is a temporary solution.......next point i will chime in on is it is a new bike that is trying to evoke a vintage bike, hence old's cool.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #75
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJay View Post
1969 Triumph Bonneville.

QED.

QED
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote