User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #1231
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer: 1,877
Riding

Does anyone want to come ride their POS Ural with us this weekend. Applejam is working out his Cascade Discovery Route and needs some beta testers for new tracks. Meet up is on Mt hood's Barlow Road tomorrow night where the creek crossing is. Oh by the way I'll be on my POS Ural gear up too. Expect break downs, grumpy folks, flat tires, drunkenness (mainly in the evening), final drive failures, break failures, rim distortion, piston melting, sidecar falling off, water in the carbs, yelling and screaming (mainly Yee Ha), flip overs, dangerous ascents and descents, oh and HUGE SMILES!

It sounds way better than reading this thread. Doesn't it? Oh and everyone is invited, even if we have only distain for you. Show up and have some fun on a new adventure route thru the mtns of Oregon. Or keep typing and enjoy the camaraderie of this thread.

Just cause I'm wrong, don't make you right / Needtobreathe
Our OBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712724
Our UTBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816500
asrvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #1232
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,063
I'll address your points:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schatzman View Post
People are pissed because this thread is completely fucking stupid at this point. If in fact the Brembo part failed, that is on Brembo. Chosen by Ural as part of their bike: on Ural. I don't care if people like Ural or not. Why read the thread? What I care about is the misrepresentation going on about Ural and the people who run the company. IMWA has been beyond awesome to me and I won't stand by while someone makes false claims about their product. OOOH, their hero! . Anyway, which one was the false claim: failed final drive, broken swing-arm, or failed brake? There were a few others, too. The posted pics made them look real enough.
Once again, if the bike is so faulty that all of these parts have broken because of quality control on IMWA's part, how would anyone in their right mind climb back on the saddle? They didn't happen all at one time....If it were me, I would be doing several other things then posting on here about it. I would be parking the thing in a garage, I would be on the phone with IMWA-USA screaming at Jason, and be finding someway to get the issue(s) resolved. To have several major failures like this, and according to the OP being Ural's fault, should not leave him comfortable about the bike. He needs to shit or get off the pot. Don't waste people's time with this thread anymore. People are still posting of their own volition. Who's wasting their time? If the bike is a total unsafe POS, and I would say having the brakes "fail" would qualify as unsafe, then don't ride it anymore. One's life is more valuable then the Ural. Funny from you who rides without brakes for six months, putting yourself and others' lives in danger, so it won't "spoil my fun". Find a solution. That could be shipping the bike back home and renting something else or calling IMWA and seeing if they will give him another bike to ride in the mean time. He's overseas. I doubt IMWA would send him a bike. They should pick up the rental tab on another bike for him.
Bikes and this Forum are supposed to be fun, my friend. Lighten up.
Glad you like your Ural. I like mine too, but it's just a bike.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #1233
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by asrvivor View Post
Does anyone want to come ride their POS Ural with us this weekend. Applejam is working out his Cascade Discovery Route and needs some beta testers for new tracks. Meet up is on Mt hood's Barlow Road tomorrow night where the creek crossing is. Oh by the way I'll be on my POS Ural gear up too. Expect break downs, grumpy folks, flat tires, drunkenness (mainly in the evening), final drive failures, break failures, rim distortion, piston melting, sidecar falling off, water in the carbs, yelling and screaming (mainly Yee Ha), flip overs, dangerous ascents and descents, oh and HUGE SMILES!

It sounds way better than reading this thread. Doesn't it? Oh and everyone is invited, even if we have only distain for you. Show up and have some fun on a new adventure route thru the mtns of Oregon. Or keep typing and enjoy the camaraderie of this thread.
Howdy asrvivor,

Now that is down right CRUEL, here I am wasting time with this thread as I count down the till the departure date of my Australia trip and you folks just a few miles south of me are going to go play on Barlow Pass. If I didn't have so much other stuff to take care of ( in between posting to this thread ) I would ride my totally fucked up, broken down piece of shit Ural down there and play with you guys till the cows came home. If Berry wasn't stuck working for a living I am sure we could con him into riding his death trap of a Ural down there too.

Have a great time proving out the new tracks, be sure to tip one for me and don't forget to post up photos of all the broken bodies and busted parts that result from your daring to ride Ural's in such conditions.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #1234
gspell68
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJ View Post
If you go through and read it all again, you'll see the level of vitriol from the Ural side far surpasses anything Bokad posted. Hell, scroll through just the last 3-4 pages.

And if you have sincere "contempt and disgust" for anyone just because they criticize your brand of bike you're taking this shit waaay too seriously.
I must agree, Bokad has kept pretty cool...
gspell68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #1235
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy asrvivor,

Now that is down right CRUEL, here I am wasting time with this thread as I count down the till the departure date of my Australia trip and you folks just a few miles south of me are going to go play on Barlow Pass. If I didn't have so much other stuff to take care of ( in between posting to this thread ) I would ride my totally fucked up, broken down piece of shit Ural down there and play with you guys till the cows came home. If Berry wasn't stuck working for a living I am sure we could con him into riding his death trap of a Ural down there too.

Have a great time proving out the new tracks, be sure to tip one for me and don't forget to post up photos of all the broken bodies and busted parts that result from your daring to ride Ural's in such conditions.
Hiya Mr. Cob, You're dilema sounds like a fun one too. I'm hoping I can get Vern to come out this weekend. I'll get plenty of photos. Soon as Markwoodleif gets that trials bike repaired I'll be up to visit you boys. Was supposed to pick it up 2 weeks ago and he blew the top end. The day before I headed up. Shoot...

I was just trying to break the mood here. I enjoy riding more than typing, I know you do too. Man have fun in OZ.

Invite stands for anyone else. Mt hood is going to beautiful this weekend. And we'll be doing things like this.............

[IMG][/IMG]

No fun at all!

Just cause I'm wrong, don't make you right / Needtobreathe
Our OBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712724
Our UTBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816500
asrvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #1236
gspell68
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,511
Quote:
it has an air powered valve that when you let up on the throttle partially closes off the exhaust pipe which causes the exhaust to back up into the engine thereby increasing the resistance to the pistons as the crankshaft rotates
Backpressure on a Ural crankshaft sounds like a recipe for disaster!
I don't know how well the 750 cranks are built and if they'd stand up to a Jake brake, but I'm pretty sure if you tried that on a 650, you could afterwards remove the crank through the drainplug!!!
gspell68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #1237
Kristof Granit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by asrvivor View Post
No fun at all!
Ural Retro parking crossing after the flood:

Old 07-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #1238
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 393
I have kept up with this thread right from the start and have also been in touch with our importer regarding buying one as I was seriously considering it as Bokads experiences hadn't put me off.

Now though, I will be saving my money and may invest it in my current outfit an other bikes, once again,not because of Bokad but because I do not wan't to be tarred with the same brush as the 'Uralista' I have come across on this forum.

There are a couple of decent types,like Tarka, and some semi reasonable, but the majority are blinkered idiots who have nothing better to do than sling shit at anyone who doesnt like or finds fault with their Ural.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #1239
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,792
Wait...should I or should I not buy a Ural?

:-)
Oh well, too late. I did buy one. 97 Tourist 650. Fits my needs and I haven't broken it yet. What is this "brembo" front brake you speak of? Mine must have fallen off. :-)

Bokad - You ride report is good. Keep having fun. Next time, I am sure you will be on a different machine. I think a hacked DR650 would be a good thing for the roads you describe. You can always run street tires on it to get mileage and swap to knob when you need it. Just a thought. Worth what you paid for it.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #1240
Heavy Armor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokad;19110809Oh please.... the "this is mostly a 70 year old bike" thing again. Please do tell, what the MOST parts of the Ural are that are 70 year old design?[COLOR=Red
[/COLOR]
Seriously? The list would be a lot shorter the other way around.

The parts NOT a 70 year old design: electronic ignition, front disk brake, electric starter, alternator. Just because the materials may be newer, or produced with better equipment, doesn't mean the overall design is any better. If I built the Wright Brother's plane out of aircraft aluminum, that doesn't make it handle like an F-16. Likewise, if I added an actual jet engine, that still doesn't make it behave like a modern plane. I'm not saying your brakes didn't crap out of their own accord, but I simply don't agree with you on the "modern bike" statements.

BTW, glad you're not dead. That's scary shite when the unexpected happens, regardless of where the fault lies.

~HA
Heavy Armor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #1241
Heavy Armor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtr96sn View Post
I have kept up with this thread right from the start and have also been in touch with our importer regarding buying one as I was seriously considering it as Bokads experiences hadn't put me off.

Now though, I will be saving my money and may invest it in my current outfit an other bikes, once again,not because of Bokad but because I do not wan't to be tarred with the same brush as the 'Uralista' I have come across on this forum.

There are a couple of decent types,like Tarka, and some semi reasonable, but the majority are blinkered idiots who have nothing better to do than sling shit at anyone who doesnt like or finds fault with their Ural.
If you're basing your vehicle purchase on the Internet behavior of people you will more than likely never meet... well, good luck with that.
Guess you didn't spend much time over at Soviet Steeds, where people don't get so riled up over broken stuff. Bokad gave ya lots of SS links about those front brake failures.... 'course no one blew up about it over there, so they're not as much fun to read.

~HA
Heavy Armor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:26 PM   #1242
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
shit slingers?

Quote:
Urals have always been known to be shit and they really haven't improved with age. The only people who dont know this are people deluded enough to buy a new one or noobs to chairs.
Ahem, Billy it would appear you waded in on the shit slinging very early in this thread, something around the 3rd or 4th post.

Sorry, but as one of the "deluded", I must say your kettle is as black as any pot............

Glad you are not buying a Urinal, we the Ural Cabal have met in judgement of you and decided you are not worthy

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #1243
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 393
Yes, very funny, but I do not retract that. The whole genetic line including Dneprs,Nevals,Cossacks etc ARE shit and have always been so.

At one time their pricing reflected they were cheap and nasty, now they are just nasty.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #1244
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,162
Quote:

Funny you should mention "Tarka" I was his guest and riding monkey last year and we got along as you folks say splendidly. He is a good sort and like most of us experienced Ural riders has difficulty dealing with people who are to dense to get it. Before you write us uncouth Uralista's off as you hold Tarka in high regard, ASK him what he thinks of this thread and the guy who started it.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #1245
GeezerStank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Yes, very funny, but I do not retract that. The whole genetic line including Dneprs,Nevals,Cossacks etc ARE shit and have always been so.

At one time their pricing reflected they were cheap and nasty, now they are just nasty.
:c ry
GeezerStank is offline   Reply With Quote