Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
Tethys_Sea OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Basecamp/City Nav - frustration

OK,

Just got basecamp & city nav. installed on the computer and (hopefully) the city nav. updated into the Garmin Montana 650t.

Have routed a 2 week trip up through Maine and through PEI, NS, & NBrunswick and specific lighthouse coordinates through Google maps, saved each day of the trip etc....cool.

Today, I sit down with basecamp/city nav and attempt to "route out" the same trip so I can transfer the routes into the gps itself. Was able to find my house on city nav...make it a waypoint...great.

Then try to get my friends house in CT where I want to stay the first night...no such luck, citynav doesn't find his apartment building or even find his town (Vernon, CT)...?
Ok, I'll try to find mom's house in Ohio...again no such luck for a house outside of Toledo that has been there for 50 years...??

Humph, well I think, how does one enter in exact lat/long coordinates of a lighthouse for example. Data found on lighthousefriends.com ... easily done on Google maps, can't find where to do that on the Basecamp screen.

Time to start calling:

Called gpscity...the guy on the phone was useless..."call Garmin he says"

Garmin, 1st time guy trys to find mom's house etc. Can't do it, claims that there are bugs between basecamp and city nav. But he assures me that the Montana gps unit itself would navigate me accurately to the house if I punched the address in on it while on the road (can I trust this?)...naturally we get disconnected so I have to call back?

Garmin, 2nd time: different guy doesn't seem to be as knowledgeable as the first, has an associate next to him trying to find mom's house, they can't find, will work on it and email me>>>
...he tells me that to get the exact gps lat/long, I have to zoom in on the basecamp map, and "click" where I believe the point (in this case a lighthouse) to be and than create the waypoint that way.
...he sez that I can't take the google maps route and transfer them to the gps, I would have to use google Earth, import the .kml files and I should see the waypoints on Basecamp... I try this and it doesn't seem to work. Just see my house start point, no friends apt. in CT, nor the campground end waypoint in Harrington, ME.

Sorry to be long winded, but does anybody know the easiest way to take a google map route(s) and get them into a garmin gps? Am I completely missing something with Basecamp/City Nav. that the Garmin guys didn't alert me to? So far I am not impressed with this garmin software and route/trip building etc. And customer service doesn't seem to be too knowledgeable either, except they acknowledge that there is a problem between base camp and city nav.

Frustration is building.

Any help or ideas???

Chris
Tethys_Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #2
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethys_Sea View Post
... Sorry to be long winded, but does anybody know the easiest way to take a google map route(s) and get them into a garmin gps? ....
I don't use Google Maps/Earth to make routes, tracks, waypoints, etc but if you know how to save that data in a KML format you can use GPS Visualizer to convert that to a GPX file which you can open in BaseCamp (or Mapsource).

Bob
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:04 AM   #3
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,420
Well, it's not much but here's how you can enter lat/long for waypoints...

Use the new waypoint tool and click anywhere on the map. You'll get a ballon with a numbered waypoint. Click on the waypoint name or go to waypoint properties from the waypoint list; once you're there you can rename the waypoint and enter lat/long to move it to exactly the coords you need.

S
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethys_Sea View Post
OK,

Just got basecamp & city nav. installed on the computer and (hopefully) the city nav. updated into the Garmin Montana 650t.

Have routed a 2 week trip up through Maine and through PEI, NS, & NBrunswick and specific lighthouse coordinates through Google maps, saved each day of the trip etc....cool.

Today, I sit down with basecamp/city nav and attempt to "route out" the same trip so I can transfer the routes into the gps itself. Was able to find my house on city nav...make it a waypoint...great.

Then try to get my friends house in CT where I want to stay the first night...no such luck, citynav doesn't find his apartment building or even find his town (Vernon, CT)...?
Ok, I'll try to find mom's house in Ohio...again no such luck for a house outside of Toledo that has been there for 50 years...??

Humph, well I think, how does one enter in exact lat/long coordinates of a lighthouse for example. Data found on lighthousefriends.com ... easily done on Google maps, can't find where to do that on the Basecamp screen.

Time to start calling:

Called gpscity...the guy on the phone was useless..."call Garmin he says"

Garmin, 1st time guy trys to find mom's house etc. Can't do it, claims that there are bugs between basecamp and city nav. But he assures me that the Montana gps unit itself would navigate me accurately to the house if I punched the address in on it while on the road (can I trust this?)...naturally we get disconnected so I have to call back?

Garmin, 2nd time: different guy doesn't seem to be as knowledgeable as the first, has an associate next to him trying to find mom's house, they can't find, will work on it and email me>>>
...he tells me that to get the exact gps lat/long, I have to zoom in on the basecamp map, and "click" where I believe the point (in this case a lighthouse) to be and than create the waypoint that way.
...he sez that I can't take the google maps route and transfer them to the gps, I would have to use google Earth, import the .kml files and I should see the waypoints on Basecamp... I try this and it doesn't seem to work. Just see my house start point, no friends apt. in CT, nor the campground end waypoint in Harrington, ME.

Sorry to be long winded, but does anybody know the easiest way to take a google map route(s) and get them into a garmin gps? Am I completely missing something with Basecamp/City Nav. that the Garmin guys didn't alert me to? So far I am not impressed with this garmin software and route/trip building etc. And customer service doesn't seem to be too knowledgeable either, except they acknowledge that there is a problem between base camp and city nav.

Frustration is building.

Any help or ideas???

Chris
On a Windows computer, to enter Lat/Lon for a location in BaseCamp:

Select VIEW->RECENTER MAP TO..., enter your coordinates.

Address Search in BaseCamp is a bit wankers and is getting some attention in v4.0 but until then you want to enter as little data as possible in your search criteria to get started.

By the way, the HELP files in BaseCamp provide adequate information to do the basic tasks. You might give them a try.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,143
I've never had a problem like you describe. I would recommend making sure you have CNNA as your current map in Basecamp. If the basemap is the current map, you'll have exactly the symptoms you are encountering...

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:32 AM   #6
Tethys_Sea OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Thanks for the help and suggestions!

Things seem to be going a bit better with the software regarding routing etc.
Tethys_Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #7
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,879
I finally thought I would give BC (WIN BC) a try..so far I am not impressed..it will not pull up any of my CN 2011.1 county roads..in MS, it will, but not BC...is there a setting for that or do I have to go thru the "unlock" proceedure for CN to work in BC?
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:35 AM   #8
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
I finally thought I would give BC (WIN BC) a try..so far I am not impressed..it will not pull up any of my CN 2011.1 county roads..in MS, it will, but not BC...is there a setting for that or do I have to go thru the "unlock" proceedure for CN to work in BC?
Make sure the 'Detail Level' is set to 'Highest'. Click on 'View', then 'Toolbars', then check 'Detail Level'

Make sure 'City Navigator North America NT 20xx.x' is selected/displayed in the map toolbar box. If you don't see it, you may have to unlock it.

daryl

l

dlh62c screwed with this post 07-25-2012 at 02:35 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:37 AM   #9
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,879
That worked! TNX Daryl!
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote