Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #11
guitarhack OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,095
Day 15

Thursday, June 14th
Mileage: ~ 450

After a wonderful breakfast, I bid Debbie and Sarah so long, and hit the road. My plan was to be in Memphis Friday night, so I needed to make tracks.

Debbie had been been suffering from asthma symptoms since I had been there, because of the wildfire smoke. This morning it was REALLY smokey - and windy. I was glad to get out of the area and get to clean air.

Those of you that have ridden this area of the country can attest to this: there isn't much to see between Colorado Springs and northern Texas. If you would like to experience the ride for yourself, and not have to invest the travel time, do this:

1. Borrow a jet dryer from your local NASCAR track
2. Borrow a commercial oven from you local Pizza Hut
3. Point the dryer at the mouth of the oven (while the oven is set on nuclear)
4. Get down-wind of the oven, making sure the jet-dryer is blasting you from the side with intermittent 40-60 mph gusts
5. While in that position, stare at the below picture for 6 or 7 hours.

All kidding aside, I took few pictures that day. The wind and the heat kicked my butt.

Crossed into OK briefly

One notable distraction, my iPod, while randomly streaming music as I rode, finished playing "All My Ex's Live In Texas" just moments prior to seeing this sign.

I had several music coincidences like that during the trip - most of which I have forgotten. One I remember was when I was riding in a huge storm in eastern Colorado before making it to Denver at the beginning of the trip - the iPod played The Who's, Love, Reign O'er Me.

I saw several fields with these yellow flowers. For all I know they are weeds - but they looked nice.

Anyway... needless to say, I didn't take many pics that day. Frankly I was just trying to put miles behind me. It was tough, hot, windy, riding. In addition to the above, about all I missed showing you were oil wells, oil refineries, (and their distinctive smells).

Two more days to post, and this RR in done.
guitarhack is offline   Reply With Quote