User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #106
Mikepotter86
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Wink

I love the warning signs! Do you have a rough map of your route? I am planning on doing a similair trip in 2014 with a friend and I am looking for inspiration.
Mikepotter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #107
guitarhack OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikepotter86 View Post
I love the warning signs! Do you have a rough map of your route? I am planning on doing a similair trip in 2014 with a friend and I am looking for inspiration.
Hi Mike

I really don't have a map of the area that will be very useful. Most of the maps I have plugged into this RR are screenshots from MapSource. When I have tried to get a map of the route I took west of Denver, MapSource has to zoom out so far that the small roads I was on disappear. I have posted some of my favorite roads a few days ago. Start by plugging in to MapSource or MapQuest, or whatever map program you use, the destinations you wish to visit, then see if you can connect the dots with the roads I mentioned.

Keep in mind; I have only been in the area once. I am no expert anyway.

With all of that being said, the Utah and Colorado sections looked something like this (excluding some of the day trips, the jaunt into Nebraska, etc)

guitarhack screwed with this post 07-14-2012 at 07:33 PM
guitarhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:23 PM   #108
guitarhack OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcaddy View Post
In an April 20 story about the location of the Four Corners marker, The Associated Press erroneously reported that the monument is 2.5 miles west of where it should be. Instead, according to Dave Doyle of the National Geodetic Survey, the monument marking the intersection of Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico and Utah is about 1,807 feet east of where it should have been placed in 1875. Doyle says the monument's location has been legally adopted by all the states as the official corner.
Too funny.

Now I wish I had known - and zoomed in on my GPS when I was there to see if it agreed.

It never ceases to amaze me; The number of things we take for gospel... that end up being complete BS.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #109
Backmarker61
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Thanks!

Really really great report you've got here... Incredible pics, great writing... good inspiration!

It seems like you blended a trip on the bike with a vacation with the family perfectly.... I did not know that was possible!

Anyways, thanks a lot for sharing!
Old 07-12-2012, 06:04 PM   #110
guitarhack OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 14

Wednesday, June 13th
Mileage: ~ 175

While this day may have been the shortest riding day of the trip, it was definitely the last of the short days

After saying our goodby's, we headed our separate ways; I headed back into the mountains, and the Support Crew headed for the airport.

After getting back on I-70 for a few miles...

...and continuing to enjoy the scenery...

...it was time to get back onto the side roads.

I drove through the towns of Frisco and Breckenridge..

...then started to climb.

and the bike was continuing to run like a champ.

Crossed the Divide for about the 15th time

...and was bummed there were no ADV sticker, or Mobius, or ...

When I passed this Library I just had to stop and check it out...

I was excited the kids were there.

Oh, give me a home, where the

..roam.

Where the ...

and the..

play.

That's right; I made the "Home On The Range Trifecta"! ...Well, sort of. I indeed saw all of those critters that day, buy I wasn't quick enough to take a pic of the deer. So I had to borrow that pic from a few days earlier.

The day's first real stop is that mountain up ahead.

Getting a little closer...

After a while, when it seemed as if I was in spittin' distance, Gail Garmin lead me astray

...and damn she was stubborn that day! I should have given up and broken out a map. She just kept wanting me to go that same way - that was blocked.

But eventually we were back on track.

After paying my $12.00...

I started to climb.

The views started to change

...but I had to be on the highest of alert.

...but I never saw him. He must have been off filming a beef jerky commercial.

Speaking of commercials, I was stopped a few times because they appeared to be filming a Can-Am Spider commercial.

I blew by the brake check place (for the folks going down hill)

Then really started to climb

At the risk of sounding like a whiner, the traffic was aggravating. I was really surprised at the number of folks on the road during the middle of the week. ...that tended to like to stop to take in the views, in the middle of a turn.

In my typical fashion, I quickly grew impatient, and started passing folks at maybe "less than advisable" locations. None the less, the climbing continued.

By the way, the road is entirely paved these days.

One more turn...

...and I'm there.

Colorado Springs is down there - where my cousin's house is

I took the usual pictures (that everyone else seems to take)

...but really didn't hang around too long.

..as the place was a zoo. The Cog Train (or whatever it's called)

...had just unloaded a mob of folks that had packed the gift shop (where I was disappointed that I couldn't find a Pike's Peak sticker for my side cases - more about those stickers later). Along with packing the gift shop, the mob absolutely WRECKED the bathroom. I'll spare you the details.

Anyway, after wandering around for a while and snapping pics, it was time to head back down.

At about this point, I was completely OVER the site-seers and their creeping speeds - and started blowing by people at will.

In time I made it back down the hill

As you may recall, this trip was originally suggested by my long-lost (and recently found) cousin Debbie.

I made it to her house and had a wonderful visit. I really enjoyed spending the second half of the day with her and her daughter Sarah. While waiting for Sarah to get off work, she took me on a tour of the Garden Of The Gods.

http://www.gardenofgods.com

Looking back up at Pike's Peak. The panorama didn't stitch together perfectly, but I still like the shot.

The Garden was just one more pleasant surprise the trip sprung on me. It was just too cool!

One of my other cousins (Cynthia) and her boys showed up from La Junta (a two hour ride each way) and we all went to dinner at a cool restaurant - that's in an old bomber.

I know I am glossing over the family portion of the day, but it was one of the most enjoyable experiences I have had in many years.

OK, enough mushy stuff...

Tomorrow's going to be a long ride.

guitarhack screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 06:15 PM
Old 07-13-2012, 12:11 AM   #111
Mark_O
Drain Bamaged

Oddometer: 14,257
I said it before and I'll say it again, great report Brad.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:32 AM   #112
guitarhack OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backmarker61 View Post
Really really great report you've got here... Incredible pics, great writing... good inspiration!

It seems like you blended a trip on the bike with a vacation with the family perfectly.... I did not know that was possible!

Anyways, thanks a lot for sharing!
Thanks Backmarker.

I don’t know how well mixing the family vacation and a bike trip ultimately worked out, but that was the intent. I am blessed to have an understanding wife.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:35 AM   #113
guitarhack OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_O View Post
I said it before and I'll say it again, great report Brad.
Thanks Mark.

Looking forward to getting together at the Nottarally.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:50 AM   #114
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 9,800
got any pics of the inside of the bomber???
Old 07-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #115
guitarhack OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post
got any pics of the inside of the bomber???
No. I was trying not to be obnoxious with too many photos.
This link has a few pics though...
http://www.solosrestaurant.com/
Old 07-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #116
bilborides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Thanks

Great read and pic's.I did Utah last year,i think it is a top spot for all things outdoors.What a beautiful State.K am packing my bags.Thanks for the memories.Oh Yea you keep that support crew happy and maybe you can go again.
bilborides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #117
guitarhack OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 15

Thursday, June 14th
Mileage: ~ 450

After a wonderful breakfast, I bid Debbie and Sarah so long, and hit the road. My plan was to be in Memphis Friday night, so I needed to make tracks.

Debbie had been been suffering from asthma symptoms since I had been there, because of the wildfire smoke. This morning it was REALLY smokey - and windy. I was glad to get out of the area and get to clean air.

Those of you that have ridden this area of the country can attest to this: there isn't much to see between Colorado Springs and northern Texas. If you would like to experience the ride for yourself, and not have to invest the travel time, do this:

1. Borrow a jet dryer from your local NASCAR track
2. Borrow a commercial oven from you local Pizza Hut
3. Point the dryer at the mouth of the oven (while the oven is set on nuclear)
4. Get down-wind of the oven, making sure the jet-dryer is blasting you from the side with intermittent 40-60 mph gusts
5. While in that position, stare at the below picture for 6 or 7 hours.

All kidding aside, I took few pictures that day. The wind and the heat kicked my butt.

Crossed into OK briefly

One notable distraction, my iPod, while randomly streaming music as I rode, finished playing "All My Ex's Live In Texas" just moments prior to seeing this sign.

I had several music coincidences like that during the trip - most of which I have forgotten. One I remember was when I was riding in a huge storm in eastern Colorado before making it to Denver at the beginning of the trip - the iPod played The Who's, Love, Reign O'er Me.

I saw several fields with these yellow flowers. For all I know they are weeds - but they looked nice.

Anyway... needless to say, I didn't take many pics that day. Frankly I was just trying to put miles behind me. It was tough, hot, windy, riding. In addition to the above, about all I missed showing you were oil wells, oil refineries, (and their distinctive smells).

Two more days to post, and this RR in done.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:46 AM   #118
Rodsbike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Really enjoying this RR. Utah looks a gret place to do a bike trip. I am really amazed at the cleanliness of the roads an environs on the photos. Congrats to Miss SATS smartipants. Hope she goes on with her studies. Must do a "family reunion" trip here. Look forward to the rest of the RR if possible lets have some stats of the Wee attained on the trip.
Rodsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #119
guitarhack OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 16

Friday, June 15
Mileage: ~ 650

Today was the longest riding day of the trip.

...It was all super-slab, and photo opportunities were few and far between

As I mentioned in the last post, I fought heavy winds the day before. After getting settled in at the hotel, and after a quick dinner, the day crescendoed with an incredible thunder storm. It was good timing. Had the storm hit an hour earlier, I would have been out in the middle of nowhere with no opportunity for cover. I was glad to have a covered parking spot outside the lobby, and was actually concerned the bike would get blown over.

Thankfully, the only effect of the bike was a few less bugs were on it in the morning.

My plan was to make it to RedBud's in the late afternoon. So I needed to get on the road early. I set the alarm and went to bed early. The alarm never went off, but I only woke up about an hour later than I had wished. So I packed up and left in a rush - and apparently left my camera lanyard in the room somewhere. Oh well. After a quick breakfast I hit the slab and headed west.

I guess mother nature didn't think my shower at the hotel was adequate, and she gave me another.

The shower I just drove through

Thankfully I didn't get too wet. As it tended to work out, I finally gave in and put on my rain gear - past that point it didn't rain again.

I passed into Oklahoma one more time. (Yesterday I passed through the panhandle)

Impressions of Oklahoma: it was much more wooded and green than I expected. I liked it.

And then I passed into Arkansas....

...and headed towards Memphis.

The wind picked up again for the second day in a row. The trees helped a lot, but when I rode near a wide-open field, it was like fighting a non-stop blast from passing a semi

Nearing Memphis

Old man river....

Remember, I had left my lanyard at the hotel in Texas. I wasn't real excited about taking these pics - with no drop-protection..

Is the Egypt or Tennessee?

I wasn't expecting a pyramid

Tonight's accommodations were at the Red Bud Inn (pics from my phone are small for some reason)

I wish I had taken more pictures, but RedBud was an awesome host.
No sooner had I unpacked, and gotten cleaned up, he treated me to a steak dinner.

Not only was RB in pain, recovering from surgery resulting from a broken collar bone, he had worked in the Memphis heat all day at his construction project. None the less, he asked me if I had ever been to Memphis. I hadn't, so he insisted that we take a quick tour and then enjoy Beale Street.

We had a blast!

These guys were REALLY good

My wife saw the below pick in real-time on Facebook (via mobile upload) and thought we were in a Cops episode.

We were at Beale Street for several hours...

(another goof photo that ended up kinda cool)

...but after a while we figured we had better head back to Red Bud's place before the we really ended up in a Cops episode.

Not until after we were back at his apartment (1:00AM-ish)...

...and after Red Bud showed off his new vintage project bike...

...did he fess up that he had to go to work early in the morning.

Mark, if you are reading this: I owe you one buddy. You went WAY above and beyond.

guitarhack screwed with this post 07-16-2012 at 06:44 AM
Old 07-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #120
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 4,937
talk about goofed pictures, i walk of the apt to get something out of my truck and i see the hack go by looking for the right

apartment. I whip out my camera, thinking i'll get a cool picture of him coming in when he comes back around the garage

looks like my camera may have been on pain meds too

i was off my game i only took one picture of brad & me..........thats us ya can't see in the mirror behind the flash

ok i got a couple of ok pictures

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote