Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #826
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClifNotes View Post
FOUND HIM! THANKS TO THE FRIEND THAT SENT ME THE LINK!

Emilio Scotto (born 1956) is an Argentine adventurer, photojournalist, and writer. As of 2009 he holds the Guinness record for the world’s longest motorcycle ride, spanning 10 years, 279 countries and a total distance of 457,000 miles (735,000 km).[1][2] The ride was done on a 1980 Honda Gold Wing GL1100 motorcycle Scotto calls “Black Princess."[3] Scotto recounted his travels in a 224-page book illustrated with his photographs, The Longest Ride: My Ten-Year 500,000 Mile Motorcycle Journey, published in 2007.[4]

In interviews, Scotto is known to make hyperbolic boasts on the importance of his adventures, such as "This is more than a trip around the world, it's the biggest trip in the history of human beings."[5]
Hi Cliff, here is a picture of Emilio Scotto’s Gold Wing that I took last year when coming home from Death Valley and spent the night in Laughlin, NV. I think that might be the only bike in the collection, but it was still worth the time to visit.

http://www.riversideresort.com/enter...nt.aspx?id=175

steve_k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:28 AM   #827
Dirt2007
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,812
Someone with some skills needs to photoshop some sponsor stickes on Clif's GTL
Dirt2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:02 AM   #828
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Oddometer: 1,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt2007 View Post
Someone with some skills needs to photoshop some sponsor stickes on Clif's GTL
Thanks - I will discuss this with Bill and Cindy today
ClifNotes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:05 AM   #829
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
Cliff,
I am about to embark on an extended adventure myself. All the questions you put down to print are valid questions. It's great to read them and apply (remind) some to myself. Our adventures are as different as night and day in that you are like a brand new Wikkipedia open to gathering any and all experience on the subject whereas I am a wee bit more seasoned at this process. I will be tenting more than enough but I gotta say that in that respect, we are not dissimilar. I grew up doing the great outdoor thing but 20 years of family and child rearing put a real damper on it. Getting back into a tent took a couple of years of relearning. The biggest thing was to realise that there was really no need to buy on of these puny one man rigs to save space. With old age aches and pains setting in I found that having a modern tent that I can almost stand up in still breaks down to a package easily stored on an adventure sized bike.
But also, unlike you I have a rough game plan which will be spilled in my RR to begin in a few days. At your age, you've got to think of the future in longer terms than most. The two greatest tiedowns are jobs and family. You gotta have money to travel but when you are making money you can't travel. And, if you start a family it could be a good 20 years before you even take up motorcycling again. SO WATCH OUT!
One other small note: Think of getting rid of the big 1600 if you are serious about anywhere south of the US. There is just no way to avoid at least some nasty stuff they refer to as roads. And also, how's your Spanish?
Old 07-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #830
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

2012 jul 16 0905 @ banff canada

i'm going to eat chocolate cindy gave me for breakfast. i took a photo last night of the chocolate store she got it from.

i told myself in the shower this morning that i'll ride safe. i don't want to do anything risky.

i'm pretty much all packed up. just charging the iphone and gopro.

i know i'm behind getting back to all your messages - i'll try to catch up at some point.

i'm going to go look for that rr with the wife's 31 yr old bro that died - and the awesome pics
Old 07-16-2012, 09:09 AM   #831
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
Cliff,
I am about to embark on an extended adventure myself. All the questions you put down to print are valid questions. It's great to read them and apply (remind) some to myself. Our adventures are as different as night and day in that you are like a brand new Wikkipedia open to gathering any and all experience on the subject whereas I am a wee bit more seasoned at this process. I will be tenting more than enough but I gotta say that in that respect, we are not dissimilar. I grew up doing the great outdoor thing but 20 years of family and child rearing put a real damper on it. Getting back into a tent took a couple of years of relearning. The biggest thing was to realise that there was really no need to buy on of these puny one man rigs to save space. With old age aches and pains setting in I found that having a modern tent that I can almost stand up in still breaks down to a package easily stored on an adventure sized bike.
But also, unlike you I have a rough game plan which will be spilled in my RR to begin in a few days. At your age, you've got to think of the future in longer terms than most. The two greatest tiedowns are jobs and family. You gotta have money to travel but when you are making money you can't travel. And, if you start a family it could be a good 20 years before you even take up motorcycling again. SO WATCH OUT!
One other small note: Think of getting rid of the big 1600 if you are serious about anywhere south of the US. There is just no way to avoid at least some nasty stuff they refer to as roads. And also, how's your Spanish?
my spanish is pretty much "no spanish". But I pick up languages quick.

so... if i ride from LA to uruguay, there will be "roads" that are much worse than the Yukon?

And... could I get on a ship from LA and ship ourselves to uruguay?

another concern i have is insurance. it could cost a lot to insure the gtl through s. america. what if it gets stolen, right?

who will go with u on your tour?
Old 07-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #832
GuillermoM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
LA - Uruguay

Quote:
my spanish is pretty much "no spanish". But I pick up languages quick.

so... if i ride from LA to uruguay, there will be "roads" that are much worse than the Yukon?

And... could I get on a ship from LA and ship ourselves to uruguay?

another concern i have is insurance. it could cost a lot to insure the gtl through s. america. what if it gets stolen, right?

who will go with u on your tour?
Hi Clif,

Riding from LA to Uruguay would involve Mexico, Central America, Colombia, Peru, Chile (and/or Bolivia), Argentina and finally Uruguay

Mexico could be considered safe enough to ride on your GTL, and also the way down (South) from Peru to Uruguay.

But,…

Can´t say that Central America is safe…

And in Colombia they use to kidnap people… well, don’t know, but it’s strongly not recommended to make a solo trip through this country! (Your relatives should have to pay "some" money for your life)

You also can get a plane to fly from LA to Montevideo,… once in Montevideo you can rent a 1200 GS (here or at Argentina because renting is cheaper there) and trip to the South end (like Ushuaia in “Tierra del Fuego”), following the highest mountains in all Americas at “Los Andes”… After that, you could say that you have made both ends (North: Alaska and South: Tierra del Fuego)!

With Bill, we are planning to trip to Ushaia on southern summertime (by 2012 end and/or 2013 beginning), maybe you could join us!

ps: how can I insert a photograph here?
GuillermoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #833
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

day 1: Cindy gets me so drunk i pass out
day 2: Cindy runs a semi nearly off the freeway
day 2.5: Cindy brings me and Bill to a HARLEY DEALERSHIP (where we are now at 2108 Cranbrook St, Cranbrook BC Canada...

I'll show you the pics later! Bill & I gotta run!!!!
Old 07-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #834
rgiroux
Invisible Man

Oddometer: 2,298
Quote:
day 1: Cindy gets me so drunk i pass out
day 2: Cindy runs a semi nearly off the freeway
day 2.5: Cindy brings me and Bill to a HARLEY DEALERSHIP (where we are now at 2108 Cranbrook St, Cranbrook BC Canada...

I'll show you the pics later! Bill & I gotta run!!!!
Get a t-shirt. that was a great dealership. stopped by there in 2009 on our way north.

2009 Alaska , 2010 Moab
2011 Calif Dreaming , 2013 Mexico
rgiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #835
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiroux View Post
Get a t-shirt. that was a great dealership. stopped by there in 2009 on our way north.
Cindy took ur advice and got 2!
Old 07-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #836
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

to park or not to park (in front of the harley dealership) THAT IS THE QUESTION...

Old 07-16-2012, 07:21 PM   #837
rgiroux
Invisible Man

Oddometer: 2,298
Quote:
to park or not to park (in front of the harley dealership) THAT IS THE QUESTION...

park her RIGHT in front

2009 Alaska , 2010 Moab
2011 Calif Dreaming , 2013 Mexico
rgiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #838
whatsgnu
Scheissekopf

Oddometer: 282
Clif,

You will tour on your BMW and make money as a motivational speaker.

Ride SAFE and smell the roses along the way.

Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.
whatsgnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #839
InDenial
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Do a tour ride stopping at schools giving motivational talks to the kids. You know, no drugs, no alcohol, graduate, and live your dream. You could get paid for it and tour at the same time. Heck, I'd pay to hear you.

InDenial screwed with this post 07-16-2012 at 10:32 PM Reason: add more
InDenial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:38 PM   #840
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamm View Post
This is surreal in so many levels.

Clif, a word of advice from a fellow rider who fell in the same trap years ago (and have the scars to prove it): I detect a "change of gears" in your attitude towards riding across the thread. It changed from a healthy dose of respect towards the activity to a increasing level of arrogance in the recent posts. "I learned fast", "I'm already proficent", "I'm in total control of the machine", "my mentor/god/angel/whatever is protecting me", etc thoughts have no place in the mind of someone who is riding for less than two months (regardless the number of highway miles). You are making lots of beginner mistakes, don't fool yourself.

Your case seems like a textbook case of "I know it all" that happens at 6-12 months of riding - except that it's happening earlier. I got too cocky too soon, and fell down hard. You are in the same path.
Thanks. your "detection" is correct.

At first I was terrified of riding. Occasionally, I hated it - because it was so challenging.

There were several days of reckless passing. Then this morning I told myself in the shower to ride safe. So today I don't remember doing anything really risky.

Today we crossed back into the US. I want to ride slow now also because I can't afford insurance as it is - much less if I have to pay extra for tickets.

I think 2 days ago was when I passed two vehicles, it was a slight curve, raining... and the oncoming white truck / rv almost hit me.

wait... maybe there was one sort of close call today.

but today i also aborted one pass - so i knew when i did that it meant i was starting to be more cautious again.

your reminders and teaching does influence my driving. i'm certain you have all kept me alive. thank you !!!!!!!