ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2012, 08:00 AM   #5791
Danger4u2
KX & CR 500 Rider
 
Danger4u2's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OKC
Oddometer: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikB View Post
Thanks... Yes in theory they are highway pegs for an additional foot position. I haven't used them much and may eventually just remove them, but I'll wait until I do a multi-day highway run before I make a decision.
Keep the highway pegs you will use them on long trips. When I installed my IMS foot pegs I used the original KLR pegs to replace the cheap pegs Happy Trail (HT) uses. I think HT makes many good products and I happily use them but the pegs they used on my Pairs Dakar Nerf Bars were dangerous. http://www.happy-trail.com/KLR650/PDNerf-KLR650A.aspx The pin/rivet wore the holes in peg itself. They started rattling so bad I ground off the pin and removed them. You will have to grind the KLR pegs to fit. Don't grind them to much or the angle will make your foot slide off of the peg.
__________________
Go faster than everyone.
Only worry about what's in front of you.

Danger4u2 screwed with this post 07-14-2012 at 08:49 AM
Danger4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #5792
VikB
Gnarly Adventurer
 
VikB's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 459


Thanks for the kind words guys... This is my KLR when I rode her home stock. I'm happy with the farcklization process. I wanted a bike that was functional for my needs and looked unique. So far so good. I need to upgrade the suspension when I have some $$, but that won't be this year.
__________________
safe riding,

Vik...
www.klr650blog.com
I didn't done the doo!
VikB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:34 AM   #5793
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger
 
newcastleadam's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Gainesville, Fl
Oddometer: 3,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by schaffer40 View Post
@newcastleadam

Is the top box you using a Pelican? And what size is it...looks like a 1450?

Thanks
Missed this, sorry. Yes it is a 1450, works great.
__________________
Adam
86 KLR250 01 KLR685 06 K1200LT
As ever, buyer and seller of all things KLR
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:40 AM   #5794
abswa
Adventurer
 
abswa's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Issaquah, WA
Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikB View Post


Thanks for the kind words guys... This is my KLR when I rode her home stock. I'm happy with the farcklization process. I wanted a bike that was functional for my needs and looked unique. So far so good. I need to upgrade the suspension when I have some $$, but that won't be this year.
Very shiny I just upgraded my front to progressive springs with the right preload spacers and the rear to an 8kg spring. With new fork oil it was around $200. Try top gun springs if your looking to do it yourself. Well worth it. My 09 handles like a tight little racer now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
abswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #5795
VikB
Gnarly Adventurer
 
VikB's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by abswa View Post
Very shiny I just upgraded my front to progressive springs with the right preload spacers and the rear to an 8kg spring. With new fork oil it was around $200. Try top gun springs if your looking to do it yourself. Well worth it. My 09 handles like a tight little racer now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Thanks for the tip. I'm not sure what I'll do about the suspension. I don't have the skills or need for a fork transplant so it will definitely be some sort of bolt on/drop in mod....
__________________
safe riding,

Vik...
www.klr650blog.com
I didn't done the doo!
VikB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #5796
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Oddometer: 2,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikB View Post


Thanks for the kind words guys... This is my KLR when I rode her home stock. I'm happy with the farcklization process. I wanted a bike that was functional for my needs and looked unique. So far so good. I need to upgrade the suspension when I have some $$, but that won't be this year.
No rush on the farkelization!
I got my 03 KLR in 05 and I am still putting stuff on it.
A Scotts stabilizer is going on now. After seven years and many $ I've almost got the bike perfect for me!

If it not for the internet I'd be riding my Stock KLR and be as happy as a clam!
__________________
ADV Relay Rider 08 (The Texas Connection)
Ride Pooie Ride

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:17 AM   #5797
sandalscout
blah blah blah
 
sandalscout's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Oddometer: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon View Post
If it not for the internet I'd be riding my Stock KLR and be as happy as a clam!

SO true! I have so many things that I "needed" after seeing them online. Funny how that works!
__________________
My KLR650 - Not quite so ugly now
Matt's Trippin' in Peru
sandalscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:22 AM   #5798
VikB
Gnarly Adventurer
 
VikB's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon View Post
No rush on the farkelization!
Well in one way I do disagree with this statement. When I bought my F150 and I bought my KLR I know that certain items make me happier and/make the vehicle more useful. I also know that I'm only going to keep them for a limited period of time - probably 10-15yrs. So I try and farckle up my vehicles as much as I need/want to right off the bat so I get the most use out of the farckles as I can. If I add a part at year 1 vs year 5 and sell the rig at year 10 I get twice the use out of the farckle.

Now that doesn't mean I'm not gonna mod the KLR anymore, but I did try and hit the key stuff right off the bat. I waited on the suspension because I wanted to see how I felt about the stock setup before I changed anything.

That's one of the reasons I bought a KLR. The cost of buying and farckling a KTM or BMW all at once is a bit mind blowing...
__________________
safe riding,

Vik...
www.klr650blog.com
I didn't done the doo!
VikB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #5799
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Oddometer: 2,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikB View Post
Well in one way I do disagree with this statement. When I bought my F150 and I bought my KLR I know that certain items make me happier and/make the vehicle more useful. I also know that I'm only going to keep them for a limited period of time - probably 10-15yrs. So I try and farckle up my vehicles as much as I need/want to right off the bat so I get the most use out of the farckles as I can. If I add a part at year 1 vs year 5 and sell the rig at year 10 I get twice the use out of the farckle.

Now that doesn't mean I'm not gonna mod the KLR anymore, but I did try and hit the key stuff right off the bat. I waited on the suspension because I wanted to see how I felt about the stock setup before I changed anything.

That's one of the reasons I bought a KLR. The cost of buying and farckling a KTM or BMW all at once is a bit mind blowing...
It's OK to disagree with me!
__________________
ADV Relay Rider 08 (The Texas Connection)
Ride Pooie Ride

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #5800
Neonasty
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 147
Thumb Did an 880Kms few days around victoria.

Melbourne - Edi in the King Valley - LaaneCoorie - Home.

Bit wet but an awesome trip during the week.

Heres some of the pics I took.


Neonasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:50 AM   #5801
Danger4u2
KX & CR 500 Rider
 
Danger4u2's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OKC
Oddometer: 579
Spare tube, tire pump, tools, rain gear, cell phone, extra cash, trail mix, in the right side case......................necessities in the left.



8 of us jumped on the bikes (6 on KLR's) last night for a cold beer and hot fried chicken. 80 mile round trip. People drive from all over to eat at Eischen's, the oldest bar in Oklahoma, famous for their fried chicken and okra.

__________________
Go faster than everyone.
Only worry about what's in front of you.
Danger4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:56 AM   #5802
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome
 
Unstable Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: 10,000 Lakes Minnesota
Oddometer: 2,363
I'm sorry - "Okra?"

You mean the lady that had the TV show ?
Sorry. New meds....

( great pics by the way)
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:59 AM   #5803
Danger4u2
KX & CR 500 Rider
 
Danger4u2's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OKC
Oddometer: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
I'm sorry - "Okra?"

You mean the lady that had the TV show ?
Sorry. New meds....

( great pics by the way)
Okra (US /ˈkrə/ or UK /ˈɒkrə/; Abelmoschus esculentus Moench), known in many English-speaking countries as lady's fingers or gumbo, is a flowering plant in the mallow family. It is valued for its edible green seed pods. The geographical origin of okra is disputed, with supporters of South Asian, Ethiopian and West African origins. The plant is cultivated in tropical, subtropical and warm temperate regions around the world

Or,
Occra: Oklahoma Cross Country Racing Association

http://www.occra.com/
__________________
Go faster than everyone.
Only worry about what's in front of you.
Danger4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #5804
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome
 
Unstable Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: 10,000 Lakes Minnesota
Oddometer: 2,363
part of that actually sounds like it has to do with the lady from tv...
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #5805
sandalscout
blah blah blah
 
sandalscout's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Oddometer: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2handedSpey View Post
Looks fun, cool old bar too. But, okra?!?!

Eeek gads, I was stationed in OK for Army training and later travelled there for work and very time I cross the state line, I'd say "Okay, let's try is okra again." bleeeech! It never turned out well for me. I've had it fried, baked, boiled and added to a queso/cheese salsa dip thing.... Nope, must be a learned food item that this northerner couldn't ever love. It just screws me up!
I like okra, but my wife is not a fan.... that was until she had it in Bhindi Masala, an Indian dish. My favorite okra too.
__________________
My KLR650 - Not quite so ugly now
Matt's Trippin' in Peru
sandalscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014