Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by planzman View Post
Do you know what i mean?
http://www.advancedbuildings.org/low-flow-toilet.html

time for action and paper work!

getrdone!
Leave it to the Nav to be a master of subtlety...lol.

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #77
Byork
Novice

Oddometer: 230
Reasons

The pictures and videos of "Why you should buy a Ural" have been the most convincing arguments so far

Kind of like "A picture is worth a thousand words." Actual words are boring.

I wish I had a Ural so I could demonstrate.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #78
Unstable Rider
Sick Till Tuesday

Oddometer: 2,476
Question, have the more recently produced Ural rigs (750's) progressed past the once frequent need to tighten or check wheel spokes, uh, frequently?

Not a bash, by any means, just trying to extinguish a rumor (like, "all KLR's burn oil")

Not.

I actually see or perceive, possibly, some parallels between the KLR and Ural, as far as "helps if you are handy or familiar with some tools" type of thing, and the fact or concept that without much brain matter, you can't help but make some part or piece of it better or more reliable (or whittle a new part from a piece of wood and JB weld?)

I want a Ural pretty bad. It's on my list to keep the KLR company, as my budget allows.
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #79
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
Question, have the more recently produced Ural rigs (750's) progressed past the once frequent need to tighten or check wheel spokes, uh, frequently?

Not a bash, by any means, just trying to extinguish a rumor (like, "all KLR's burn oil")

Not.

I actually see or perceive, possibly, some parallels between the KLR and Ural, as far as "helps if you are handy or familiar with some tools" type of thing, and the fact or concept that without much brain matter, you can't help but make some part or piece of it better or more reliable (or whittle a new part from a piece of wood and JB weld?)

I want a Ural pretty bad. It's on my list to keep the KLR company, as my budget allows.

Solution. Upgrade the KLR to this............

Then save your pennies for this, hee hee

Sorry no answer about the wheels. Just tempting you...........

Just cause I'm wrong, don't make you right / Needtobreathe
Our OBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712724
Our UTBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816500

asrvivor screwed with this post 07-16-2012 at 04:35 PM
asrvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:18 PM   #80
jsalman93
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
BEST URAL AD POSTED EVER.... I want one
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/3125408609.html

2006 Yamaha FZ6
1992 Suzuki Gs500e (in progress)
jsalman93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #81
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post

Not.

I relaced my wheels with the new alloy rims, at first they needed to be tightened like the steel rims, but they now seem to not need anywhere near as much attention.
The front and sidecar wheels require virtually no tightening, it's mostly the pusher.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:06 PM   #82
crswa
n00b

Oddometer: 5
My wife and I are looking into buying a Ural and are debating whether 2WD is worth the extra cost. We're not planning to do any hardcore off-roading and my understanding is the second drive wheel is only useful for getting the rig unstuck (mud, snow, sand, etc). What's the consensus? 1WD or 2WD? How often do you use 2WD?
crswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #83
roscoau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by crswa View Post
My wife and I are looking into buying a Ural and are debating whether 2WD is worth the extra cost. We're not planning to do any hardcore off-roading and my understanding is the second drive wheel is only useful for getting the rig unstuck (mud, snow, sand, etc). What's the consensus? 1WD or 2WD? How often do you use 2WD?
Go for the 1WD. 2WD is a waste of time for 95% of people, it just sounds impressive...

Ural - speed limits aren't a restriction, they are an achievement!
roscoau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #84
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,391
I have 1WD. I can manage fairly rough stuff, and reverse is enough to get me out of trouble. Plus, the rig is lighter, simpler to work on, and perhaps a tad more stable since the sidecar wheel is about two inches forward compared to a 2WD.

If you intend to do serious offroading and really go looking for trouble, then 2WD really shines. If the roughest stuff you tackle is state forest jeep trails and logging tracks, 1WD will suit you.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #85
deltamark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Urals and Newfs

Dammit, now I want one! Will the side car hold a 110 lb. Newfoundland dog?
Old 07-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #86
matman1972
Lost in the woods.

Oddometer: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltamark View Post
Dammit, now I want one! Will the side car hold a 110 lb. Newfoundland dog?
It holds my 105 lb lab..... Yes she is overweight.
I pull out the seat button and put down a pillow my daughter made that fits the bottom. I put a recessed tie down like you use in a truck bed to attach her harness.
Confusion to our enemies.Zaphod for president!!
matman1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #87
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by crswa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoau View Post
Go for the 1WD. 2WD is a waste of time for 95% of people, it just sounds impressive...
I could live without 2wd if I had to, it can be handy at times, but rarely "necessary", It won't make a huge difference in where you can go, but it can make marginal conditions much easier. I use it mostly in the winter.

Like AWD or a 4X4, most of the time you don't need it, but sometimes......................................... ...

Old 07-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #88
Norms 427
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Buy a Ural to ride to Alaska. I did. The Alaska Highway is made for Urals.

This is Mount Robson. Let me tell ya, it doesn't get any better than sitting on the front porch of this little cabin smoking a cigar n sippin' hooch while the setting sun does its evening light show on snow-capped mountains.

Along the Top of the World Hwy:

This was the best trip of my 65 year life (so far) and the Ural definitely was a large part in helping to make it so memorable.

Oh, and in 17,000 km in 18 months I haven't had a single significant issue, just a couple of little things not even worth mentioning.

Norms 427 screwed with this post 07-17-2012 at 08:36 AM
Norms 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #89
Norms 427
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Someone, PLEASE STOP ME! I can't control myself when it comes to pictures with my Ural!

Why you should buy a Ural? ... so you can ride it to the Yukon Territories and Alaska. That's good 'nough reason for me!

Alaska Hwy near Fort Nelson:

AK Hwy, Folded Mountain:

What is freedom? .... riding Olga, on the open road, on the way to The Last Frontier:

Took a ferry to Kodiak Island, the furthest point southwest on my trip, and this is where the little dirt road ended:

Can't wait to go back.

Norms 427 screwed with this post 07-17-2012 at 10:02 AM
Norms 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:30 AM   #90
Unstable Rider
Sick Till Tuesday

Oddometer: 2,476
That orange is sharp.

How many miles that Alaska trip was?

Top speed?

I see you were coming from Wash. and not deeper into the states, but still a significant undertaking, right?

Cool beans.

I guess the other way to look at the 1wd vs. 2wd could be like with trucks-- it will always be worth more in the end, or someday when you trade again, sell, etc. A rusty 4 x 4 truck always brings more than a similar rusty 2 wheel drive..
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote