Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2012, 06:14 PM   #841
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
... do not pour the big container of Stove Top Stuffing into the disposal ...
WTF? That’s what garbage cans are for.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:40 PM   #842
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by F16Viper68 View Post
When Super Gluing something on your bike, when you're alone at home, ENSURE you have the necessary tools, within arms reach, to detach the part have so idiotically Super Glued yourself to or have a supply of acetone within arms reach.

Earlier today I was walking about the house a Madstad windscreen bracket attached to my pointing finger, looking for nail polish remover.
BTDT. I had to beg Murgadaughter for her nail polish remover, and you know how teenagers like to see their parents in awkward situations. Now I have a LARGE can of acetone within reach.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #843
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,342
After checking the air filter on your brand new bike, make sure the tennis ball hanging from the ceiling (you know, the one that tells you how far to pull the car into the garage...) is not caught up in the handlebars before you roll the bike off the center stand.

It will pull the screw out of the ceiling with enough force to not only chip the paint down to the metal on your brand new tank, but actually put a small dent in it .

I really should have kicked the thing over in the parking lot at the dealership.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #844
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
After checking the air filter on your brand new bike, make sure the tennis ball hanging from the ceiling (you know, the one that tells you how far to pull the car into the garage...) is not caught up in the handlebars before you roll the bike off the center stand.

It will pull the screw out of the ceiling with enough force to not only chip the paint down to the metal on your brand new tank, but actually put a small dent in it .

I really should have kicked the thing over in the parking lot at the dealership.
I just have this mental image of a movie ricochet noise!
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:55 AM   #845
Charlie_819
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Replace oil filler cap...

Remember to replace oil filler on your motorcycle before starting your bike and blowing oil all over your wifes garden and the front of your house...
Charlie_819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #846
Bob_M
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Never try to solder several wires just barely twisted together in your underwear.

The wires will absolutely come untwisted and accurately catapult hot liquid solder into your lap and it will burn through your skiivies in 4 milliseconds then on to the very end of the most sensitive appendage on your body.

I have done this just once.

Then try explaining the red marks to GF.

1996 Gas Gas JTR270, 2001 Ducati ST4
1977 Honda 750F2, 1970 Honda QA50
Bob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:08 AM   #847
husqvarna
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Holiday gems

The Super Glue reminds me of a holiday gem. My son is home and goes diving for crayfish and stupidly gets tagged on the palm of his hand by an eel leaving a 50mm long cut that needs stitches. But he's gung ho 20's, we're due to go away to the game reserve and he's been super glued up after hitting a reef body boarding in Hawaii (by professionals though). So he buys the Super Glue and tells me to apply. I tell him to hold the cut together. You can see where this is going. He ends up with holding finger glued to hand. After a suitable ha, he we realise that there's no way we can apply nail polish remover etc next to this cut (although it was tempting to try and see the resulting crack high behaviour). So he had to pull the finger off which messed up the glue job. Cut a long storey short, we went away with bandages and pain killer. To the proper doctor after the few days holidays for cutting away dead skin and proper stitching. Very sore he told me.

Ah, youth. Note to self - glue wounds at your own peril!

To motor cycles - a fellow worker informed me that an acquantaince had his KTM 525 on a dodgy hydraulic lift that gradually let itself down overnight. Sadly the fellow had a tie down hanging next to the bike which somehow hooked the wiring harness and plucked it out of the afore-mentioned motorcycle. Very bad language resulted.
husqvarna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:29 PM   #848
Welshman
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by husqvarna View Post
The Super Glue reminds me of a holiday gem. My son is home and goes diving for crayfish and stupidly gets tagged on the palm of his hand by an eel leaving a 50mm long cut that needs stitches. But he's gung ho 20's, we're due to go away to the game reserve and he's been super glued up after hitting a reef body boarding in Hawaii (by professionals though). So he buys the Super Glue and tells me to apply. I tell him to hold the cut together. You can see where this is going. He ends up with holding finger glued to hand. After a suitable ha, he we realise that there's no way we can apply nail polish remover etc next to this cut (although it was tempting to try and see the resulting crack high behaviour). So he had to pull the finger off which messed up the glue job. Cut a long storey short, we went away with bandages and pain killer. To the proper doctor after the few days holidays for cutting away dead skin and proper stitching. Very sore he told me.

Ah, youth. Note to self - glue wounds at your own peril!

To motor cycles - a fellow worker informed me that an acquantaince had his KTM 525 on a dodgy hydraulic lift that gradually let itself down overnight. Sadly the fellow had a tie down hanging next to the bike which somehow hooked the wiring harness and plucked it out of the afore-mentioned motorcycle. Very bad language resulted.
Dont strap the bike to the base frame of your brand new bike lift and activate the hydraulics, you will have to send your new lift straight back for repairs
Welshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:35 AM   #849
Pugsley/Hobbfather
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
...mental image...

I'm still finding it difficult to remove the mental image of one cocooning one's hands and project inside one's underwear while soldering...or just wires twisted together in your underwear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_M View Post
Never try to solder several wires just barely twisted together in your underwear.

The wires will absolutely come untwisted and accurately catapult hot liquid solder into your lap and it will burn through your skiivies in 4 milliseconds then on to the very end of the most sensitive appendage on your body.

I have done this just once.

Then try explaining the red marks to GF.
Pugsley/Hobbfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #850
Daamud
AAAAAYYY!

Oddometer: 2,161
Old 07-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #851
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Always have a spare motorcycle key with you if you are going on a long trip. Otherwise, you won't be stuck in the middle of Moose Fart, Montana, when your key suddenly gets lost at a gas station. I never did find that key.

[Fortunately, I anticipated this disaster scenario, and brought a second key. I still don't have any idea how or why that key got lost while I was getting gas.]
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:39 PM   #852
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroid42 View Post
Always have a spare motorcycle key with you if you are going on a long trip. Otherwise, you WILL be stuck in the middle of Moose Fart, Montana, when your key suddenly gets lost at a gas station. I never did find that key.

[Fortunately, I anticipated this disaster scenario, and brought a second key. I still don't have any idea how or why that key got lost while I was getting gas.]
Fixed, no charge
Old 07-15-2012, 05:03 PM   #853
MagyarMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
As a machinist apprentice running an engine lathe I kept smelling burnt toast until the hot chip burnt through my hair to my scalp.----Wear your baseball cap at all times.

Another time I got a hot chip on my lip and when I tried to pull it off I burnt my finger tips--No win situation!
MagyarMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #854
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroid42 View Post
Always have a spare motorcycle key with you if you are going on a long trip. Otherwise, you won't be stuck in the middle of Moose Fart, Montana, when your key suddenly gets lost at a gas station. I never did find that key.

I keep a spare ignition key buried in my top box, and a spare top box key wrapped to a wiring harness with electrical tape. The wad of electrical tape hiding the spare top box key is pretty much invisible.
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #855
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeliot View Post
I keep a spare ignition key buried in my top box, and a spare top box key wrapped to a wiring harness with electrical tape. The wad of electrical tape hiding the spare top box key is pretty much invisible.
So doesn't that mean you can clearly see the key?