Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #256
NativeSon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post

124?

I could swear last year D1 was 120. (UNM was always below 116 and I followed it ) Did they add four?

edit: see #124 UMass was added, that's 1.

found it... read the article before responding Jurgen.
I was a little disappointed to see my gators come in at #25. The defense is great (top 10?), we'll have a qb for the first time since Tebow, and maybe the best trio of coaches since Meyer, Mullen, and Strong. And somehow we're ranked behind TC's Tennessee? I know these aren't official, but come on.
NativeSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #257
NativeSon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
UNM has Texas and Texas Tech early in the schedule.

Tulane opens against Rutgers. Tough way to start for both.
FAU plays Georgia and Alabama back to back.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:06 PM   #258
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 40,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon View Post
I was a little disappointed to see my gators come in at #25. The defense is great (top 10?), we'll have a qb for the first time since Tebow, and maybe the best trio of coaches since Meyer, Mullen, and Strong. And somehow we're ranked behind TC's Tennessee? I know these aren't official, but come on.
I stopped reading at 100.

Tennessee that high? Really? Got to make sure the roof insurance is paid up as I think someone is trying to trebuchet launch some pigs so they can claim they fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nskitts View Post
I'm sorry your dog died before you got to beat it with a dead chicken.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:39 AM   #259
Bubwheat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,527
All of these preseason polls are just a way for sports writers to keep busy in the off season. I remember a while back that Notre Dame was always listed in the Top 10 preseason for years, and for most of those years they were lucky to finish in the Top 25.

Damn, that list was brutally honest..."a legitimate chance to win 2 games"...
Bubwheat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:33 AM   #260
NativeSon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubwheat View Post
All of these preseason polls are just a way for sports writers to keep busy in the off season. I remember a while back that Notre Dame was always listed in the Top 10 preseason for years, and for most of those years they were lucky to finish in the Top 25.
Sure it's a way for sports writers to keep busy. Why else would they bother to rank the #124 team in America? Exercise in futility. And for the uber competitive among us, it's still upsetting that our team is ranked so low.

Quote:
Damn, that list was brutally honest..."a legitimate chance to win 2 games"...
which team was that?
Old 07-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #261
Bubwheat
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Sure it's a way for sports writers to keep busy. Why else would they bother to rank the #124 team in America? Exercise in futility. And for the uber competitive among us, it's still upsetting that our team is ranked so low.

which team was that?
That would be New Mexico..."That record is dreadful, but Davie should allow the Lobos to improve in the immediate future. Having 14 starters back and hosting both Southern (FCS opponent) and Texas State (homecoming game) gives them a legitimate chance to get at least two victories."

BTW anyone know where WSU/Leach lands on the list? This is one team and Coach that really piques my interest, but oddly, not enough to wade through a liist of 124 teams!
Old 07-15-2012, 04:23 PM   #262
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 40,758
Quote:
That would be New Mexico..."That record is dreadful, but Davie should allow the Lobos to improve in the immediate future. Having 14 starters back and hosting both Southern (FCS opponent) and Texas State (homecoming game) gives them a legitimate chance to get at least two victories."

BTW anyone know where WSU/Leach lands on the list? This is one team and Coach that really piques my interest, but oddly, not enough to wade through a liist of 124 teams!
I think UNM has legitimate shots against

Southern, NMSt, TexasSt, ColoSt, and UNLV. So maybe four wins? Two to three is more likely.

Leach is an interesting character indeed. Read his book, I too will be following WaSU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nskitts View Post
I'm sorry your dog died before you got to beat it with a dead chicken.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:52 AM   #263
Bubwheat
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I think UNM has legitimate shots against

Southern, NMSt, TexasSt, ColoSt, and UNLV. So maybe four wins? Two to three is more likely.

Leach is an interesting character indeed. Read his book, I too will be following WaSU.
Okay, I took one for the team:
Quote:
"No. 59: Washington State - Marques Wilson should be drooling over the hire of Mike Leach because he will have more pigskins thrown his way than arguably any receiver in the nation.

He hauled in 82 for 1,388 yards and 12 TDs last season, but a healthy Jeff Tuel and an improved ground game (Rickey Galvin) could make the Cougars' offense one of the more productive ones in the Pac-12.

The defense should not be too shabby either with seven starters returning, and the schedule will give WSU a solid challenge every few weeks. Opening up with BYU in Provo will be tough, but they then get Eastern Washington, UNLC and Colorado the next three weeks.

Throw in mission impossible with Oregon, but there are winnable games with Oregon State, California, UCLA and Arizona State all on the slate. Don't expect this team to be locked into a bowl game, but it should surprise us by hovering around that .500 mark all season.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:04 AM   #264
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,216
Quote:
Don't know why SC and GA seem to get so much love over in the East. LSU and Bama seem to prove that it takes defense to win out in the SEC.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #265
NativeSon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Don't know why SC and GA seem to get so much love over in the East. LSU and Bama seem to prove that it takes defense to win out in the SEC.
Get ready for some smack talk.

it seems to me that every time Georgia has been ranked high, they've underperformed. They lose a few big games, people start calling for Richt's head, and then they come back and do just enough to save his job. year after year, it's the same pattern. It's why I have a hard time taking Georgia seriously.

SC could be contenders but they have a tough schedule. Garcia is finally gone . They have to play Arkansas, at LSU, at Florida, and at Clemson. The problem is that damn Clemson game. Even if they win out the east (and drop a game to LSU and Arkansas) they'd still have to play clemson the week before the SEC championship. To me, they either lose that game and go into the SEC championship depressed or win it and go in hung over. Either way, I don't see them beating the SECW champ.

That means in the east, it's down to Florida and Tennessee, and does Tennessee really have the depth? Florida still has a similar problem to SC because we have to go through FSU thanksgiving weekend, but Florida has two sleeper games the weekends before FSU. FSU has VT and Maryland. Even though the game is in Tallahassee, I think Florida wins. Florida State is like Georgia. Give them a preseason ranking in the single digits and they can't wait to drop a game to Wake Forest or Boston College. FSU won't be a factor.

I think Florida goes to the SEC championship game and loses, and gets a trip to the sugar bowl.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #266
]I)Money
D NOT I

Oddometer: 3,588
We'll see.

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #267
NativeSon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Old 07-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #268
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,216
Quote:
Get ready for some smack talk.

it seems to me that every time Georgia has been ranked high, they've underperformed. They lose a few big games, people start calling for Richt's head, and then they come back and do just enough to save his job. year after year, it's the same pattern. It's why I have a hard time taking Georgia seriously.

SC could be contenders but they have a tough schedule. Garcia is finally gone . They have to play Arkansas, at LSU, at Florida, and at Clemson. The problem is that damn Clemson game. Even if they win out the east (and drop a game to LSU and Arkansas) they'd still have to play clemson the week before the SEC championship. To me, they either lose that game and go into the SEC championship depressed or win it and go in hung over. Either way, I don't see them beating the SECW champ.

That means in the east, it's down to Florida and Tennessee, and does Tennessee really have the depth? Florida still has a similar problem to SC because we have to go through FSU thanksgiving weekend, but Florida has two sleeper games the weekends before FSU. FSU has VT and Maryland. Even though the game is in Tallahassee, I think Florida wins. Florida State is like Georgia. Give them a preseason ranking in the single digits and they can't wait to drop a game to Wake Forest or Boston College. FSU won't be a factor.

I think Florida goes to the SEC championship game and loses, and gets a trip to the sugar bowl.

I'm with you on that prediction. I think people are seriously overlooking UF. Between UGA's underachieving HC and SC's overinflated ranking I think the Gators slip in. Oh and Tenner, they got a multitude of issues.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #269
NativeSon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I'm with you on that prediction. I think people are seriously overlooking UF. Between UGA's underachieving HC and SC's overinflated ranking I think the Gators slip in. Oh and Tenner, they got a multitude of issues.

glad to see everybody's in agreement.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #270
Bubwheat
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
glad to see everybody's in agreement.
Sept 8 at T A&M. Florida gets past them handily, we'll see. Of course, the next week at Tenn might prove to be a test. If Florida starts 3-0, I do agree their season will be good, not great, but good.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: