http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/.../Stelvio%20II/

leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:27 PM   #77
Fasttrak
Captain Crash

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Thanks Ken. That's where I just went to check out the NTX. I had never been out to Elk Grove before, and was impressed with everything I saw. Staff, facilities, you name it. All very professional. Looked like a top notch outfit. They also have a Guzzi Master Tech there, so that's a plus. It's a little far to go at 4 hrs. round trip, but if I only need to see them for "issues", it's not that bad.

Thanks again. Heal up quick!

-SM
So glad you made the trek out to see these guys, I truly was blown away by their straight forward and honest treatment. I have never left a dealership and felt like I got the five star treatment like I have from these guys. From the parts guy, Alan, to their service manager, Brian and the funniest sales manager I have yet dealt with, Matt, these guys are very different from the the dealerships I have dealt with around the Bay Area. They work hard for your business but I never had that feeling like it was forced or contrived, being an outside sales rep my bullshit radar has a very high gain for this.

I honestly looked at the drives out there for first service as just a fun excursion and Brian, the service manager, made sure their guys were ready and got my bike back to me in very short order. I will keep my eyes peeled to see what you end up buying, I am guessing a Stelvio NTX is in your near future

And thanks for the get well wishes, so far it is just painful to watch these beautiful afternoons go buy and know I can't get out and enjoy it on my new bike. Couple more months and I will be out tearing up some roads around Nor Cal.

Fasttrak
Ken
Old 07-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #78
uzidzit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
My new toy

Well I love my new Stelvio, a few Concerns that have been voiced,
The brakes are 2 finger with a good initial bite, the gear box is goofy smooth, there is some mechanical noise(no worse than my old 1200gsa), BUT this bike wants you to ride her hard!!! It has a wonderful sense of “wanting to get moving”. When the road gets twisty keep the revs between 4800-7k and there is tons of butter smooth fun. Less power than the explorer(who would know as it has a better bottom end punch), I have the suspension set for two up full load and it is not bad. I may up rate springs a bit but it will be plenty stiff for most folks.

uzidzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #79
uzidzit
Adventurer

by the way, a word of caution

The factory bags on the Stella will induce a very gentle weave to the back end at about a buck and a quarter, so if you are burning the girl, leave the bags at home!!! without them she is rock steady to about 135-140 according to the Garmin.

Just a word to the wise Remember to clear your trip computer it records top speed, and you do not want to have that screen pop up at the wrong time....

oh yea the wind screen position does not seem to influence higher speed stability much, but lower is a tiny bit better
Old 07-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #80
leafman60 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,460
Another little issue with the Stelvio that I have noticed is the propensity of sand to blow up through the fork tunnel at speed on dirt.

I received my fenda extenda from england a few days ago and I'm going to try it as a possible solution. Looks like dirt/sand is thrown up by the front wheel and slung upwards into the wind flow that carries it up the forks and over the tank right into your face.

Years ago, when the first new oilhead BMW GS models were introduced with the new beak, they did not have a full front fender. The lower fender was only a half fender that extended downward on the back side of the wheel. The beak was intended as the front mud guard, I guess. The first time I rode one of them, I noticed that sand would fling out the front of the lower half fender and blow back over the top of the lower fender and up over the tank into the rider's eyes. BMW quickly extended the lower fender to a full fender to remedy the situation.

I'm think the Stelvio problem is similar in nature with the sand being thrown up from behind. I will report back later.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #81
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by uzidzit View Post
Well I love my new Stelvio, a few Concerns that have been voiced,
The brakes are 2 finger with a good initial bite, the gear box is goofy smooth, there is some mechanical noise(no worse than my old 1200gsa), BUT this bike wants you to ride her hard!!! It has a wonderful sense of “wanting to get moving”. When the road gets twisty keep the revs between 4800-7k and there is tons of butter smooth fun. Less power than the explorer(who would know as it has a better bottom end punch), I have the suspension set for two up full load and it is not bad. I may up rate springs a bit but it will be plenty stiff for most folks.
Glad you picked one up........ especially from Rider's Hill. Great folks!

Please update us from time to time as it breaks in and if you ever have any issues or quirks.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:38 PM   #82
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,853
2600 miles and it feels better every day.

I rarely ride with the panniers on, the longest was a 400 mile day on Saturday with the wife to get her some seat time before a 20 day trip in a couple weeks.
She's been on a number of long days on the bike without them, wanted to make sure all was a good fit back there...it was.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:15 AM   #83
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
2600 miles and it feels better every day.

I rarely ride with the panniers on, the longest was a 400 mile day on Saturday with the wife to get her some seat time before a 20 day trip in a couple weeks.
She's been on a number of long days on the bike without them, wanted to make sure all was a good fit back there...it was.
I don't mean to hyjack Leaf's excellent thread, but did you get the top box as well so the Mrs. has a back rest? If so, how do you, and she, like it?

Thanks!

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #84
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Quote:
I don't mean to hyjack Leaf's excellent thread, but did you get the top box as well so the Mrs. has a back rest? If so, how do you, and she, like it?
This thread is just an ongoing review of the NTX with owner input.....it's all applicable.

I didn't get the matching topbox, I picked up a Givi B33 just to have something behind her. She likes the feeling of having something behind her after doing a few years on the Blackbird and ZX-14....feeling like she'd fall off the back
I'm not a big topbox fan, so unless she's back there I don't ride with it (or the panniers)

So we each get a saddlebag, she has the topbox and and I have the tankbag for miscellaneous crap.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #85
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
This thread is just an ongoing review of the NTX with owner input.....it's all applicable.

I didn't get the matching topbox, I picked up a Givi B33 just to have something behind her. She likes the feeling of having something behind her after doing a few years on the Blackbird and ZX-14....feeling like she'd fall off the back
I'm not a big topbox fan, so unless she's back there I don't ride with it (or the panniers)

So we each get a saddlebag, she has the topbox and and I have the tankbag for miscellaneous crap.
Ah, OK.

Here in Cali where lane splitting is a way of life, side bags are for my work commute, so I run with a top box to hold all my crap (briefcase, food, basic tire repair kit, etc). The trouble is no one has the matching top box in stock, so I can't see it to gauge its quality or usefulness. I guess I'll just check out its measurements (it's just a Guzzi-badged SW Motech case) and compare it to what I use now and see if that would work. Otherwise I'll do as you did and look at a Givi or similar box.

Thanks!

-SM
Old 07-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #86
leafman60 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,460
Top boxes are on back-order right now. I am working on my own system for passenger accommodations. Will reveal soon.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #87
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
Top boxes are on back-order right now. I am working on my own system for passenger accommodations. Will reveal soon.
Back order.....

Maybe I'll try something like this:

http://neu.hepco-becker.de/Web/Produ...php?language=2

Less $$$ than the SW Motech and arguably just as good (or better) quality.

Always good to have options.

But that brings up a question that I forgot to ask the dealer: Are the bags keyed to the ignition key, or do you have to carry 2 keys, one for the ignition and one for the bags?

-SM
Old 07-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #88
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Quote:
But that brings up a question that I forgot to ask the dealer: Are the bags keyed to the ignition key, or do you have to carry 2 keys, one for the ignition and one for the bags?
the keys to the saddlebags are smaller - whole different size lockset.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #89
uzidzit
Adventurer

Praise for Riders hill

I did have a small problem with the ntx, a loose connector and blown fuse, lead to a flat battery late saturday night on the way back to knoxville. (I slept on a table at an abandoned store outside Turtletown Tn, on rt60). Hitched a ride to Ducktown (no cell service where I was "camping") and called the guys at RH first thing sunday morning. They got a trailer and picked me up in Ducktown and then the ntx ~20 miles away, and went back to the store. They had already charged a new battery for me and were ready to look at the bike. At about 7:30 they found the very minor problem re-ran all the electronics checks and sent me out all good with the new battery. The really nice part is they comped me a room in Dhlonaga for the night so I could get cleaned up and sleep before the trip back, first class I did not ask for. I was feeling pretty grubby, I had not planned to stay or camp, I was lucky that store had a hose bib behind it so there was water at least as it was in the high 90s when i left.

There is ONE CORRECTION to the owners manual!!!! The manual shows the secondary fuse panel behind the rt fairing!! IT AINT THERE NO MORE THE GAS TANK IS!!! it is behind a small panel on the rt side of the bike right under your rt thigh!! just a fyi
Jon
Old 07-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #90
uzidzit
Adventurer

by the way

Moto Guzzi include a set of 3 matched lock barrels (under the seat with the manual), to the factory bag locks for givi luggage, so you can add a givi top box and have it keyed to the factory side cases if you wish.