Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #13051
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,281
I found a dealer about an hour away that has a demo bike. I plan on checking it out in a couple weeks when I get a chance. I've been wanting to ride one since they came out. I fully expect it to be my next bike as long as it's not too boring.

Seriously though my current bike is a Uly and I fear the Tenere will lack 'Character' compared to what I'm used to. I know I've talked to Mikef5000 about the difference and he says it drags pegs a whole lot sooner than what I'm used to. I guess I could get used to that, seems they work much better on dirt and gravel than one would think for such a heavy bike.

Any suggestions for the test ride besides making sure it's out of touring mode?
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #13052
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTucker View Post
I found a dealer about an hour away that has a demo bike. I plan on checking it out in a couple weeks when I get a chance. I've been wanting to ride one since they came out. I fully expect it to be my next bike as long as it's not too boring.

Seriously though my current bike is a Uly and I fear the Tenere will lack 'Character' compared to what I'm used to. I know I've talked to Mikef5000 about the difference and he says it drags pegs a whole lot sooner than what I'm used to. I guess I could get used to that, seems they work much better on dirt and gravel than one would think for such a heavy bike.

Any suggestions for the test ride besides making sure it's out of touring mode?
Bring a 20 amp fuse to eliminate the 1-3 gear nanny mode.

http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=4486.0
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #13053
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stobie View Post
...I don't have "riding time", I have "me time". If I'm wrenching, I'm not riding. I won't go there again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejr2000 View Post
...All you HAVE to do is ride it...

You two need to get out of my brain...

In all seriousness, unless someone is an ex-Orange guy, they can't begin to understand how profound your posts are.

Stobie, I'm in the same place as you. I will never...EVER...go there again.

I'm not trying to leg-hump Dallara. I don't know the guy, and couldn't pick-him-out, in a room of three people. But, for the most part, his posts have been some of the most profound for me.

Like him, I have had the pleasure of owning a buttload of bikes...some good, some bad. So, when I read something like this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
...I've owned everything from mini-bikes to a Ducati Desmosedici (which I still have and is awesome in the extreme), but IMHO the Super Tenere is the really the best motorcycle I've ever owned - at least for me and my riding.

or like this...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=12348

I'm sold...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #13054
RoverDan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Month Old...Report

Well, I got my Super T about four weeks ago. Took it off road immediately...with the DS factory tires...and it did great! Road it every day to work...commuter test was an easy pass. Took it to DC from my house this weekend...there and back...6.5 hours each way. Took off in a terrible downpour that was flooding the streets, sat in bumper to bumper traffic with little movement for an hour...then took off averaging about 75-80 mph. Traction control worked great in the deep puddles, and the ride was comfortable. I have all three factory panniers, not one drop of water on the inside. They did great!

Seemed like every time I stopped for gas or coffee, someone had to come up and asks me about the bike.

I am planning on attending the AMA Yamaha Super Tenere Blue Ridge Adventure Ride in Morganton, NC in Sep. I can't wait to test the bike on the trails and mountain passes.

Love my ST and wish all of y'all luck with yours!
Harbinger Of Fate: In the roads we travel, our destination is always a tiny speck on the horizon where it meets the greeting dawn. Many of the roads we travel down a harbinger of fate waits for us there to change our destiny from the one we have chosen... - David Harris
RoverDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #13055
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,260
I just did the seat leveling mod and had to go test it out. Amazing what 3/8" will do! Much more comfortable.

While I was out I happened by the parts store just before closing. Got a mini fuse and did the clutch switch mod. Holy hell! Why doesn't Yamaha have three throttle modes from the factory? Touring, Sport and Hang ON! The dreaded off idle stumble/dip/surge is gone.

The only complaint I have is that in comparison it feels slower in the upper gears now.

Now to find a switch like Jaumev has.

Anyway, I know it's not news to those who have done it... Carry on.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:38 PM   #13056
combo
D S N

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
Got a mini fuse and did the clutch switch mod. Holy hell! Why doesn't Yamaha have three throttle modes from the factory? Touring, Sport and Hang ON! The dreaded off idle stumble/dip/surge is gone.
The only complaint I have is that in comparison it feels slower in the upper gears now.
Yep!

I love the way mine runs in the lower gears too and that PITA stumble on take off went away. That alone is worth doing the mod. It was 10 times worse taking off 2-up without it and could get you in a bind depending on the condition of your takeoff. Such as a steep up hill with a sharp turn right or left

I also have a switch on mine and works well. You can tell with the switch in the upper gears holding a constant speed and turn the mod off the engine picks up about a 100 or so RPM's. At least mine does.

Has anyone felt this too?
Old 07-18-2012, 03:26 AM   #13057
swakop_toe

Oddometer: 21
20,000km Service feedback.

Well,
Big Blue went for her 20,000km service at LINEX Yamaha in Randburg (for the ZAR citizens on the forum)

From my first phone call to book her a slot, I was impressed with Wayne's (the workshop manager) detailed
explanation of all the standard items, checks, adjustments and work to be carried out.

Anywhow, the following was replaced:
Front Tyre: Metzeler Tourance EXP
Rear Tyre: Metzeler Tourance EXP M
Rear Disk pads
Brake Fluid
Oil:
Engine: 10W40 YAMALUBE
Diff: YAMALUBE
The 4 sparkplugs (NGK)
The Oil filter (Yamaha)

Adjustments:
i) Spring Preload was set harder (#3) according to my weight (82kg)
ii) Front Shocks was also adjusted harder
iii) Handlebars set backwards (towards me) about an inch at the bar ends
and clutch and brake levers, handguards and mirrors adjusts accordingly.
iv) Steering bearings was removed, cleaned and regreased. Nuts torqued.
v) Throttle adjusted to remove as much "free play" as possible.
vi) K&N Filter cleaned & lubricated.
And then all the points 1 - 29 of the Owners Manaul Check List.

Oh! For the Rumbux Crashbar owners. When mine was fitted, the original cowling protectors (pg. 65, ref.# 62 on the parts catalogue), was never put back on. On the right cowling it's not a majour issue, but the left cowling protector also serves as a stabilizing bracket for the radiator on the left cowling. Make sure you at least fit the left one.
Quickly refitted both of mine too.

So, what do I think getting Big Blue back? Awesome!
Valve noise is, well, not noticable anymore. Before is was clattering away.
The Low Oil level warning light no longer appears in the mornings. I'm sure the CASTROL 20W50
that was used in the 15,000km express service was the culprit.
The new tyres now just WANT to corner!
The handle bar adjustment will take some time getting used to, but I LIKE it!

The whole setup now simply inspires so much more confidence.
Recall, I last rode a bike 18years ago, scramblers, ordered my S10 over the interweb and off I went.

I have now rediscovered the Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere, the one everyone who is raving about it, raves about.
I finaly feel like I belong on her, that she wants me on her, you know? Like that feeling you get when you ride a
horse that you are perfectly tuned into and vice versa.

That my friends, is what makes a great bike and an awesome ride., IMHO.

A massive THANK YOU to Wayne and the mechs at LINEX! Fantastic service, honest opinions, personal experience (Wayne himslef ownes a white S10), attention to detail and a wealth of information! A job well done, I'm telling everyone!

Happy Days All!

swakop_toe screwed with this post 07-18-2012 at 06:39 AM
swakop_toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:09 AM   #13058
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,035
Y.E.S. or no?

Is the Yamaha Extended Service on the S10 worth it?
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:34 AM   #13059
Cykel
I'm Adventurer?

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre_fl View Post
Y.E.S. or no?

You can find excellent pricing on the YES plans, so most people consider it to be pretty cheap insurance. It seems like Yamaha stands behind the warranty pretty well also (no personal experience, though).

If you think you might sell the bike in the next 5 years, then it's absolutely worth it. Otherwise up to you, your willingness to wrench, and your skills as a home mechanic.
Cykel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:36 AM   #13060
bloodline
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Y.E.S. or no?

http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=4436.0
bloodline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:42 AM   #13061
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,748
Thumb Piece of mind...

Quote:
Y.E.S. or no?

How much is piece of mind and added resale value worth?

With the going price for 4 extra years of OEM factory warranty, with no mileage limitations, going for what amounts to about $100 a year, for me it was a no-brainer. I doubt very seriously anything major is going to go wrong on my Super Tenere, but even the replacement of something like fork seals these days is going to run more than $100, so all you need is one minor issue like that a year and the Y.E.S. warranty has paid for itself.

And though I have no foreseeable plans to sell my Super Tenere in the next 4 years, if I had to it would sure be easier to sell since I can say "It still has X-amount of factory Yamaha warranty remaining..."

Just my two centavos... YMMV.

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~

Dallara screwed with this post 07-18-2012 at 08:51 AM
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #13062
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,385
Trigger pulling...

Well, Black, Super Tenere is on the blocks, for sale: $10,200 and 15K miles.... It's been fun...really, really fun--

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809751

MoBill screwed with this post 07-18-2012 at 11:51 AM
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:47 PM   #13063
RockyDS
Wizened adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
How much is piece of mind and added resale value worth?

With the going price for 4 extra years of OEM factory warranty, with no mileage limitations, going for what amounts to about $100 a year, for me it was a no-brainer. I doubt very seriously anything major is going to go wrong on my Super Tenere, but even the replacement of something like fork seals these days is going to run more than $100, so all you need is one minor issue like that a year and the Y.E.S. warranty has paid for itself.

And though I have no foreseeable plans to sell my Super Tenere in the next 4 years, if I had to it would sure be easier to sell since I can say "It still has X-amount of factory Yamaha warranty remaining..."

Just my two centavos... YMMV.

Dallara

~

I agree except wearable items like fork seals wouldn't be covered unless they were actually faulty.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #13064
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill View Post
Well, Black, Super Tenere is on the blocks, for sale: $10,200 and 15K miles.... It's been fun...really, really fun--

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809751

Good luck!!
Hope you come back soon
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #13065
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,748
Cool2 Except...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyDS View Post
I agree except wearable items like fork seals wouldn't be covered unless they were actually faulty.

Except that everybody I've ever known who has had a fork seal go leaking during the warranty period has had them replaced free-of-charge - on several brands. Even some on these forums with Super Tenere's have had their fork seals replaced under warranty already.

I know when I was a Honda dealer we always replaced leaking fork seals under warranty, unless it was an MX bike that didn't have a warranty, etc.

Just my experience... YMMV, I guess on how customer service oriented your dealer is.

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote