Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #166
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Oddometer: 5,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Guns View Post
OK has anybody modified a set of ammo cans to fit ?
Went from this

To this

They each weigh 7lbs. more than a Happy Trails w/same dimensions. They cost $24.95 each....
Old 07-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #167
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimie View Post
Hi, this is my brother's 800XC with G+G alu panniers and Touratech rack.

http://motorradalukoffer.magix.net/#Home

Regards.
Wow. What a concept. RAcks that don't stick way out on the left for no reason What a concept. Looks great!
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #168
Charrito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Great thread! Rack and trekker should be here this week...i'll post photos once it's done.
Charrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #169
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Wow. What a concept. RAcks that don't stick way out on the left for no reason What a concept. Looks great!
It's about time bike manufacturers start thinking about these insanely large and stupidly placed exhausts again ...

It can't be that hard to meet noise requirements, but build an oval, narrow, possibly (optional?) low mounted exhaust to get a narrow rear with full sized panniers.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #170
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,316
I agree. I installed my Happy Trails racks and with the smaller seahorse cases it's still a very wide load.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #171
henkew
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingtom View Post
Went from this

To this

They each weigh 7lbs. more than a Happy Trails w/same dimensions. They cost $24.95 each....
Looks great! How are they holding up? What did you use to attach them? Are they waterproof?
henkew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #172
motomuppet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by henkew View Post
Looks great! How are they holding up? What did you use to attach them? Are they waterproof?
Did you use to ride a KLR?
motomuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:34 AM   #173
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Quote:
Originally Posted by henkew View Post
I'll post some pics soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomuppet View Post
Did you use to ride a KLR?
No, but I've got that "KLR" mentality when it comes to certain additions to a motorbike.

The price of two aluminum boxes adhered to the rear of a bike with small diameter tubing can be somewhat amazing.... supply and demand I guess.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #174
jphish OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Cyclingtom - those really look great! Whats approximate capacity? Appear larger than standard ball ammo cases - must be 20mm... or nuclear warhead boxes.
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #175
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphish View Post
Cyclingtom - those really look great! Whats approximate capacity? Appear larger than standard ball ammo cases - must be 20mm... or nuclear warhead boxes.
These are 8" Wide x 13.5" Height x 17.25" Length-exterior dimensions/approx 1768 cu in interior space

$24.95 ea. Possibly available at your local Army/Navy Store.

Local guy had many different size options....

Old 07-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #176
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Seahorse cases are about 95% of the rigidity and durabity of Pelicans and Storms, same warranty, and about $50 shipped. They are just a shade smaller than the Pelican 1550 or i2600 Storm.

These folks have them cheap, also carry both Pelican and Storm cases as well: http://www.casesbymasco.com/

I was very happy with their selection, prices, and service. Any of these cases are stronger, just as or more waterproof, and a helluva lot lighter than old ammo cases. And they're already finished!

Will post a pic soon on my setup on the Tiger. Here's my Versys with them:

Old 07-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #177
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Seahorse cases are about 95% of the rigidity and durabity of Pelicans and Storms, same warranty, and about $50 shipped. They are just a shade smaller than the Pelican 1550 or i2600 Storm.

These folks have them cheap, also carry both Pelican and Storm cases as well: http://www.casesbymasco.com/

I was very happy with their selection, prices, and service. Any of these cases are stronger, just as or more waterproof, and a helluva lot lighter than old ammo cases. And they're already finished!

Will post a pic soon on my setup on the Tiger. Here's my Versys with them:

BE - how did you mount the cases ? Seriously looking at Seahorse cases to mount on my SW Motech racks.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #178
jphish OP
Studly Adventurer

The Pelicans and such are fine cases - but I prefer toploaders & dont want to look like I'm going to a software convention. Those ammo cases with HT symetrical (or similar) racks look like just the ticket... tough, cheap, utilitarian & easily replacable. And I spent all that $ on TTpros ?! Sheesh !! If tigger has a nap on one - just pull out the black spray can. Those ammo cans are tougher than any stock pannier I know of - except maybe jessies. Thanks cyclingtom - excellent post on a low cost alternative. Chow' j.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #179
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
BE - how did you mount the cases ? Seriously looking at Seahorse cases to mount on my SW Motech racks.
Both TwistedThrottle and Carribou Cases have a quick disconnect attachment system that will work with any box for SWM, albiet at a price. The quick and dirty way is the mounting pucks from Happy Trails - that's what I use (pictured below). They have the various sizes to accomodate the various rack brands and frame tube sizes.

When I sold the Kawi I kept the boxes since they were already setup, sold the HT racks for it, and ordered in racks from them for the Tiger. Nice setup, very clean, strong. Work great.

On a side note...
The top-load are great. But really, if you pack your things in bags and cubes then either type load up instantly and easily. Seriously, a software convention?? OMG. Why not a photography convention? Or a military installation? Or any other number of applications for these mil-spec cases. They're bulletproof and functional. They are plastic and not metal, that must be it. You can have the extra 30lbs, thank you!

Old 07-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #180
jphish OP
Studly Adventurer

I agree, weight would be the downside of ammo cases. But for us 'little people', (160#) weight is not as big an issue for me as volume. For camping / fishing trips (my primary purpose for this tiger) one is hauling lots of relatively light, but bulky, items. I can stuff toploaders a lot easier than my side loaders (regardless of brand) , and strap the 75L Sealine bag over the top - good to go. Perhaps if I got more organized... ? Anyway, I have sideloaders on my girlie - work great for road trips. It's a lot like tire choices - & really about what you're going to use the machine for. I've had Cariboo cases & liked em' - were good frame pucks too - slide well, instead of catching on rocks like metal. But just couldnt pack em tight enough for my needs / purposes.