Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #1531
kajj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
hmmm, new F800 with the usual DS equipment, then add $2000 to fix the suspension, you now have a very good DS mount for around $16000.

...or you could own a decent V649HP for 95% less. no spoke wheels, no ABS, no bling, no nuthin'. runs on regular, motor filled with car oil from walmart.

kajj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #1532
BSR
Happy at the back

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
...or you could own a decent V649HP for 95% less. no spoke wheels, no ABS, no bling, no nuthin'. runs on regular, motor filled with car oil from walmart.

But then you'd have the problem of no-one calling you Ewan or Charlie, no-one would know you have loads of cash and you certainly wouldn't be able to bore the tits off people expounding the virtue of what's 'clearly the best all round motorcycle in the world'...
*yawn*

BSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #1533
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,477
LOL! You guys are pretty funny.

However, I do agree, if you have the time and the skills a rat bike can be more cost effective. When you're done you have bike that fits your exact riding style.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #1534
2fast4u
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Quote:
hmmm, new F800 with the usual DS equipment, then add $2000 to fix the suspension, you now have a very good DS mount for around $16000.

Man some of you guys get bent out of shape . I buy and sell bikes and i would not buy a new ANY BRAND bike you will yake a beating. BMW are expensive but have great resale (the GS) The Ninja is cheap and the parts are to but you have to ha e the time, skill, tools and when your done its worth what $4000. Just saying you can buy and ride a USED GS ride it a couple years and only cost you a couple grand when you sell it. I have a rat ninja and its not a weekend build. No hard feelings just my opinion.
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #1535
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
LOL! You guys are pretty funny.

However, I do agree, if you have the time and the skills a rat bike can be more cost effective. When you're done you have bike that fits your exact riding style.

David
plus, y'all would be faster on those montana roads if you were riding my rat, than i would be if riding your 800. ah, such wisdom in my old age...that said, just don't drop it, might get a scratch.

a friend just came through your neighborhood, no motel rooms from wolf point to grand forks. things must still be poppin'.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #1536
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
Man some of you guys get bent out of shape .
not really. BMW has a loyal following, no problem here...ride on.

it's just interesting when i read a current ride report where the guy's new bike falls off the center stand, snaps off a mirror, and the repair cost is $2000.

the V649 could fall off a freakin' cliff and not do $2000 damage. the whole cost of the rat is 35% the cost of a broken mirror on the other bike.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #1537
2fast4u
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
Man some of you guys get bent out of shape . I buy and sell bikes and i would not buy a new ANY BRAND bike you will yake a beating. BMW are expensive but have great resale (the GS) The Ninja is cheap and the parts are to but you have to ha e the time, skill, tools and when your done its worth what $4000. Just saying you can buy and ride a USED GS ride it a couple years and only cost you a couple grand when you sell it. I have a rat ninja and its not a weekend build. No hard feelings just my opinion.
Quote:
not really. BMW has a loyal following, no problem here...ride on.

it's just interesting when i read a current ride report where the guy's new bike falls off the center stand, snaps off a mirror, and the repair cost is $2000.

the V649 could fall off a freakin' cliff and not do $2000 damage. the whole cost of the rat is 35% the cost of a broken mirror on the other bike.
$2000 mirror? Maybe i don't have a clue.
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #1538
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

...an aspirational adventurer dreaming of travels to...well, face it, anywhere will do, even Starbuckistan. i've been grounded by my XO, confined to short trips, but i did find a convenient loophole in that the proclaimation never stated exactly how many short trips were permitted. naturally, i've done a bunch this season. hey, a deal's a deal, no renegotiation allowed.

anyway, i've got another trip coming up, figured i better prep the bike. up on the stand, checking things over. spin the rear wheel...whoa there buddy, what the heck?

foggy photo shot in 100% humidity, but that is an antique nail, very unusual, museum grade. man, what a lucky find.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #1539
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Quote:
plus, y'all would be faster on those montana roads if you were riding my rat, than i would be if riding your 800. ah, such wisdom in my old age...that said, just don't drop it, might get a scratch.

a friend just came through your neighborhood, no motel rooms from wolf point to grand forks. things must still be poppin'.
Don't worry the F8 is getting its fair share of beauty marks, plus I don't really subscribe to that dealer only koolaid they drink on the BMW forum.

Yep, 200 rigs. They have lots of leases to drill on and moving west. As long as someone at 1600 Penn Ave doesn't do something stupid and close Fracking down , its going to last awhile. It'd be nice to have a pipeline to take that crude out of here also. You should see all the rail sidings around here. Plenty of go juice for the Rat bike for awhile.

David
Old 07-20-2012, 06:00 AM   #1540
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post

Yep, 200 rigs. They have lots of leases to drill on and moving west. As long as someone at 1600 Penn Ave doesn't do something stupid and close Fracking down , its going to last awhile. It'd be nice to have a pipeline to take that crude out of here also. You should see all the rail sidings around here. Plenty of go juice for the Rat bike for awhile.

David
you and your oil patch buddies should pitch in and buy that dude season tickets for the Bulls...ya know, just so he'll have a way to spend his free time after november.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:10 AM   #1541
JAFO
displaced Jeep guy.....

Oddometer: 3,974
Quote:
the only advantages in starting with the ER6/650R is the cop motor, and the fact that they're more easily found cheap.
Out of curiousity, why is this being called the "Cop" motor? I've seen it hundreds of times now... what gives?
JAFO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:17 AM   #1542
JAFO
displaced Jeep guy.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR View Post

But then you'd have the problem of no-one calling you Ewan or Charlie, no-one would know you have loads of cash and you certainly wouldn't be able to bore the tits off people expounding the virtue of what's 'clearly the best all round motorcycle in the world'...
*yawn*
Yes- I agree-- the benefits are long and never-ending :)
Old 07-20-2012, 01:04 PM   #1543
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
Out of curiousity, why is this being called the "Cop" motor? I've seen it hundreds of times now... what gives?
"Cop motor" is the name i coined for the sportbike version of the kawasaki 650 parallel twin engine. introduced in 2006, it's identical in appearance to the Versys engine which came out in 2007 with 10% less horsepower and torque. the higher performance ER6 engine has different cams, higher compression, and mapping to match. the updated 2012 ER6 motor has even better numbers.

"Cop motor" is from the Blues Brothers movie...

Elwood: It's got a cop motor, a 440-cubic-inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters, so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say? Is it the new Bluesmobile or what?

it was a mistake for kawasaki not to use the cop motor in the Versys, so i fixed that error. that motor puts some real scoot in your scooter.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:45 PM   #1544
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Quote:
you and your oil patch buddies should pitch in and buy that dude season tickets for the Bulls...ya know, just so he'll have a way to spend his free time after november.
Trust me there are lots of suggestions about where he could go and what he could do. I think there is a reason the Rep nomonie doesn't want to reveal where all the PACT money comes from.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:11 AM   #1545
JAFO
displaced Jeep guy.....

As I've said, I have a 06 ER6F (aka 650r, etc) that, while I love the motor in it, I am not fond of the sportbike-ish styling- I'm a 40 year old man, and to be frank sportbike kids fucking ANNOY me. I still have asshats talking shit at stoplights about how "I have something faster at home"... yeah, why aren't you riding it- scared of it?

Anyway- just not my scene. I am much more at home on my KLR- but wish they'd put this motor in that bike (yes, I've seen folks do it, and may well do so in the future)...

I'd thought about trading in on a Versys, a Wee-strom, and so on- but I own this one, free and clear.

I'm a huge fan of naked bikes, and a huge fan of DS bikes. I think I have most of this build figured out except for the pegs. I would love to lose that stupid "sculpture" of a peg mount on each side of the bike, while making it stronger and more suitable for DS use. Any input there?