Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #31
VxZeroKnots OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,591
4 into 4? Straight pipes might sound pretty good, stockers gotta go but not sure where yet...

Been a while since an update, but I've been busy.

Only got one picture, hours of welding, hammering, grinding, testing, rinse wash and repeating and I got this. I now have a honest to goodness gas tank.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:06 PM   #32
VxZeroKnots OP
Beastly Adventurer

Good evening inmates...

Well, I'm officially into the bullshit-blow-my-brains-out stage of the project where I have all the big fun shit out of the way and now it's time to tie up all the loose ends, of which there are a ton.

First off was to finish off the tank by welding on some mounting tabs.

Then it was getting the petcocks installed. I opted to use the stock petcocks because I wasn't sure how to deal with all the hoses and fuel pump, or whatever the fuck that thing is, mess and still have the bike run right...

It took a little longer than buying a thread in petcock and bungs and will require me to re-plumb the bastard since I had to move them about 4" forward. I welded on a 2.5" by 1' by 1/8" piece of flat steel to provide a flat mounting surface and to have something substantial to tap for the screws that hold them on and provide a good seal...

Yesterday I got in a new headlight and taillight from Low Brow Customs in Ohio who have quick shipping, good service, and prices I'll pay... After some thought I came up with what I thought was a decent mount, but it still needs some gussets and final welding before installation.

The mystery is dead now, this is what the bastard is going to look like, but with some more color, I'm not sure which way I'm going to go color wise, but it'll come out of a rattle can and probably not be very good looking or shiny.

As you can see I still have a good bit of wiring and plumbing to go, as well as order some pods and remount the battery, but I feel like I'm on the home stretch.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #33
clarkebd
Huh?

Oddometer: 819
Very cool..... keep it updated.

98 Moto Guzzi V11 EV - SOLD

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
clarkebd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #34
morena67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Learning... !!!
Old 04-25-2012, 10:17 PM   #35
VxZeroKnots OP
Beastly Adventurer

well, too much filler and a few empty rattle cans later here we are.

I couldn't really decide what color so I went with my original inclination of a dark blue.

It is good from far, but far from good and I'm happy with that. I'll do better next time...

After kludging a temporary battery set up I started clipping and crimping. Multimeters are the fucking shit. I have a suspicion that some previous owner got a little too friendly with the wiring because either the bright beam is always on, or doesn't work, and when I flip the switch the light for the speedo goes out. I tested the leads and they behave as expected so there must be some voltage drop going on somewhere when the light is pulling on it so I'll have to investigate that further... Lectric's aint my specialty, well nothing really is, but especially electrics...

Moral of the story is that everything behaves the way it did when I took it apart

Gawd damn I'm getting close to firing this bitch up again and I'm excited!

Old 05-18-2012, 10:01 AM   #36
VxZeroKnots OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well, it's been a while but life and the little things always get in the way.

I don't have much in the way of an update because I've just been tying up all the little crap it takes to finish one of these projects.

I do have some good news though, it runs!

Yeah I know, loud pipes and all.... I'll get on that, just wanted to hear it run. I'll get it quiter after everything is buttoned up and it goes down the road some.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:04 PM   #37
VxZeroKnots OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here is a pic I took this afternoon after about a 25 mile shakedown run. It rode well, but certainly has some things still to be buttoned up.

Not much louder than an XR400, fast, and handles like shit. Hell yes!

Old 05-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #38
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,560
Looks to me like you're ready for the Stampede! Just need to install some solid struts and go!
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #39
VxZeroKnots OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross-country View Post
Looks to me like you're ready for the Stampede! Just need to install some solid struts and go!
I should probably make some, you know, just to see how it rides.

Pretty much finished it up on Sunday and wrapped the exhaust still a bunch of little stuff and jetting to dial in. Put 75 miles on it on saturday, so far no performance awards from jonny law so that is good.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:50 PM   #40
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
I have two your bikes little bothers.
an 850 and 750.... The 850 is a regular ride.
Funny thing is dad has a 1500 Intruder in the shop too, he would rather ride my 850 it handles better and is easier to ride.
I have a standard gas tank for the 850/750 I'm sure the 1100 is the same.
But it doesn't fit well in the Special frames. They are entirely different.

Not sure they ever used the Hitachi carbs on the 1100, but if they did be prepared to trash them if they give problems, parts are nearly impossible to find.
One more thing, they two lines on the petcock one is actually vacuum cut off so when you shot the bike off, it stops the gas flow.
These bikes are getting old enough the diaphrams in the petcocks are going bad it lets it leak gas into the vacuum port on the manifold.
If you develop this issue MikesXS sells a regular petcock with on/off/reserve as these should have had.

Nice work.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:21 AM   #41
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 393
Hell, that looks excellent, and you can honestly say I did it
Old 07-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #42
BENRON
I'm Mr. Crabtree

Oddometer: 3,587
Neat build! Here's my old XS from a coupla years ago.

BENRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:30 PM   #43
VxZeroKnots OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish View Post

Not sure they ever used the Hitachi carbs on the 1100, but if they did be prepared to trash them if they give problems, parts are nearly impossible to find.
One more thing, they two lines on the petcock one is actually vacuum cut off so when you shot the bike off, it stops the gas flow.
These bikes are getting old enough the diaphrams in the petcocks are going bad it lets it leak gas into the vacuum port on the manifold.
If you develop this issue MikesXS sells a regular petcock with on/off/reserve as these should have had.

Nice work.
Thanks All!

this particular bike has Mikuni carbs, but I do plan on going to a different petcock setup when I fab up a whole new tank for the bike in the coming months.

Nothing has really changed on it other than the odometer has some more miles and man is this thing a hoot!

Old 07-18-2012, 10:41 PM   #44
bigzack
6'6" of awesome

Oddometer: 54
I did a XS11 Cafe a few years ago. These bikes have great motors. Lots of torque smooth power delivery great sound. The suspensions and brakes on them are downright dangerous though. And the electrics are horrible. I ended up starting from scratch with mine after several attempts to repair the stock harness. Still my XS may not be my favorite bike but it has never failed to put a smile on my face when I fire it up and roar down the road.
Here's a shot of mine.
http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/a...t/bikes004.jpg
bigzack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:24 AM   #45
VxZeroKnots OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzack View Post
I did a XS11 Cafe a few years ago. These bikes have great motors. Lots of torque smooth power delivery great sound. The suspensions and brakes on them are downright dangerous though. And the electrics are horrible. I ended up starting from scratch with mine after several attempts to repair the stock harness. Still my XS may not be my favorite bike but it has never failed to put a smile on my face when I fire it up and roar down the road.
Here's a shot of mine.
http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/a...t/bikes004.jpg
beautiful