ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #1
Xdream OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Austria
Oddometer: 120
The impossible ride

Where are those roads you would call "impossible" to ride on a Motorbike, but at the right time, with the right planning, the right people, the right equipment and a portion of luck could still be possible. Looking for roads that were only done by a few people or have been tried but failed.

To give you an idea what I am talking about...
1) North Canol Road - Yukon / NWT
2) Eastern BAM Road - Sibiria
3) Bering Sea Crossing (Alaska to Russia)

Im not planning, just interested whats still out there.

Xdream screwed with this post 07-20-2012 at 08:24 AM
Xdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #2
FatChance
Road Captain
 
FatChance's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Durango, Colorado, USA
Oddometer: 10,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdream View Post
Where are those roads you would call "impossible" to ride on a Motorbike, but at the right time, with the right planning, the right people, the right equipment and a portion of luck could still be possible. Looking for roads that were only done by a few people or have been tried but failed.

To give you an idea what I am talking about...
1) North Canol Road - Yukon / NWT
2) Eastern BAM Road - Sibiria
3) Bering Sea Crossing (Alaska to Russia)

Im not planning, just interested whats still out there.
Darien Gap
__________________
Pain in the Butte Ranch
Durango, Colorado

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
Xdream OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Austria
Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Darien Gap
__________________
Vienna to Magadan 2011
Xdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
Lone Rider
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: out and about
Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdream View Post
Where are those roads you would call "impossible" to ride on a Motorbike, but at the right time, with the right planning, the right people, the right equipment and a portion of luck could still be possible. Looking for roads that were only done by a few people or have been tried but failed.

To give you an idea what I am talking about...
1) North Canol Road - Yukon / NWT
2) Eastern BAM Road - Sibiria
3) Bering Sea Crossing (Alaska to Russia)

Im not planning, just interested whats still out there.
Sounds like you want to prove something for yourself, and maybe for others - taking on a challenge that will provide you with some type of satisfaction.

Go prepared, not matter what you decide.

Have you been there before? Have you touched, in real life, this before?

We never know what we don't know. Flying loose.

Cause yourself to be smart. Then go.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:28 PM   #5
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Okie near Muskogee
Oddometer: 3,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider View Post

Have you been there before? Have you touched, in real life, this before?
I'm pretty freaking sure the dude done all right, IIRC he did a poor man's BAM road tour

No small feat in itself

I would like to hear about him trying to "ride" the Darien Gap, should make for interesting reading.


Crossing most of the sub sub-Saharan big jungle countries sounds pretty tough along with say Borneo crossing or some of the old Russian routes in Cuba area mofo
__________________
www.throttlemeister.net
Throttlemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:33 AM   #6
alicethomas
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Palatinate, Germany
Oddometer: 416
TAH 3, Tripoli - Cape Town.
Would be tough even without politicians, police and other bandits.
Nevertheless it's called a major continental highway!
alicethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #7
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Oddometer: 3,412
India to Thailand via Burma.

China to South Korea via North Korea.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #8
Pantah
Red Sox Nation
 
Pantah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: India Wharf
Oddometer: 10,073
I've ridden the North Canol twice (as many others have on this forum). It's not hard, but you need a solution for fuel range, since it's about 140 miles one way to NWT from Ross River.

Really fun road, though.
__________________
Straight ahead and faster -Bo Weaver 1970
"There I was..." -Griffin Niner Three Hotel
"One day closer to a parade..." Jonny Gomes, spring training 2013
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:17 AM   #9
Xdream OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Austria
Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I've ridden the North Canol twice (as many others have on this forum). It's not hard, but you need a solution for fuel range, since it's about 140 miles one way to NWT from Ross River.

Really fun road, though.
Well, I thought of getting through to the NWT until Norman Wells, which would be the Canol Heritage Trail.
__________________
Vienna to Magadan 2011
Xdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:28 AM   #10
Xdream OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Austria
Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider View Post
Sounds like you want to prove something for yourself, and maybe for others - taking on a challenge that will provide you with some type of satisfaction.

Go prepared, not matter what you decide.

Have you been there before? Have you touched, in real life, this before?

We never know what we don't know. Flying loose.

Cause yourself to be smart. Then go.
Satisfaction - yes, proof - no what for?

I thought of listing a few things I have done in "real life", but I decided not to.

See it that way: Some people get attracted by a nice beach or a great bar. If somebody asks you for a nice bar (on a nice beach *g*), do you ask back if he wants to proove something to himselfe or to someone else? Well at least he also might look for satisfaction

I get attracted to the word "impossible". Does not mean that I am stupid and Jump out a helicopter 1000 meter above the earth without a parachute. (well its been proven to be possible too - bad example)
__________________
Vienna to Magadan 2011
Xdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #11
Xdream OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Austria
Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post

I would like to hear about him trying to "ride" the Darien Gap, should make for interesting reading.
On first sight I loved the Idea of being kidnapped by a group of virgin half-naked-Drug-Dealing.-Guerillia-Amazons. And be held as their sex slave for a few month.

Then I thought it might not be that funny, because i think "ah, not today - I got headache" would not be a proper excuse for them.

Still, interesting reading on the internet about the "Darien Gap".
__________________
Vienna to Magadan 2011
Xdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #12
AtlasExp
beer me
 
AtlasExp's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Oddometer: 420
Almost did Canol trail!

Last summer we get stooped from going to Canol road! Plan was to ride from Ross river to Norman Wells! Pickup truck died on a start day! Plan was to get bikes to Ross river from NY on a pick up truck. It took as one week to get another car and it was too late to go. It was Aug 10 Still looking for riding partners and still willing to go there!
__________________
Dual Sport Luggage Racks for: DRZ-S, SM and E and KLR650 and DR650: http://www.moto-racks.com/ Find me on Instagram " ahtoxa007 "

AtlasExp screwed with this post 12-30-2012 at 09:05 PM
AtlasExp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:32 PM   #13
Cosmic_Jumper
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: The Republic of Dreams , Bureau of Dubious Reality
Oddometer: 255
Trans-Taiga Road

The Trans-Taiga Road runs 400+ east from the James Bay Rd thru extremely remove Quebec to end at the Caniapiscau Reservoir.

The Quebec North Shore Rail Road runs north thru western Labrador from Sept Isles on the St Lawrence River up to Schefferville Quebec. There is a "town", Esker, Labrador, about between Labrador City & Schefferville, along the railway with a road link to the Trans-Labrador Hwy.

There is a large blank spot on the map between the end of the Trans-Taiga Rd and Schefferville.

Enuf said...
Cosmic_Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #14
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 6,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdream View Post
On first sight I loved the Idea of being kidnapped by a group of virgin half-naked-Drug-Dealing.-Guerillia-Amazons. And be held as their sex slave for a few month.

Then I thought it might not be that funny, because i think "ah, not today - I got headache" would not be a proper excuse for them.
Yeah, but you'd die happy. Or at least satiated.
__________________
"FFS I've said I don't know." Jetjock
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:37 AM   #15
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Oddometer: 3,412
3) Bering Sea Crossing (Alaska to Russia)

Actually that's not a road, it's a sea, that might freeze up in the winter. I'm sure eventually someone is crazy enough to ride it, and either succeed or die trying (and if I had to put money on it, I'd unfortunately bet on #2).
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014