Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2012, 08:31 AM   #196
CharlieFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
I was finally able to install the EXP last night. I set the gain and did the "break in" per the instructions.

Shifting from 1st to 2nd is no different than with the normal clutch. However, shifiting into gears 3+ requires noticably more effort than it did with the traditional clutch. The gears change, and there is no grinding; just higher effort.

Is this part of the normal break in process? Do the syptoms indicate that I missed something?

Thanks for the input.
CharlieFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:04 AM   #197
spencergt66
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieFox View Post
I was finally able to install the EXP last night. I set the gain and did the "break in" per the instructions.

Shifting from 1st to 2nd is no different than with the normal clutch. However, shifiting into gears 3+ requires noticably more effort than it did with the traditional clutch. The gears change, and there is no grinding; just higher effort.

Is this part of the normal break in process? Do the syptoms indicate that I missed something?

Thanks for the input.

You are still suppose to use the clutch lever when shifting at least I do other wise everything is in some what of a torque bind
spencergt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #198
CharlieFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencergt66 View Post
You are still suppose to use the clutch lever when shifting at least I do other wise everything is in some what of a torque bind
Apologies. I did not describe the situation clearly.

Yes, I was still using the clutch lever for the shifts, but the effort required to shift is greater.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:17 AM   #199
spencergt66
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieFox View Post
Apologies. I did not describe the situation clearly.

Yes, I was still using the clutch lever for the shifts, but the effort required to shift is greater.
All your adjustments correct? I have 0 difference in lever feel
spencergt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #200
CharlieFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
All your adjustments correct? I have 0 difference in lever feel
Clearly I have an issue. I will bleed the system and re-do the adjustments.

Thanks for your input
Old 07-19-2012, 02:44 PM   #201
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
I've had mine several months now, or since they first came out. And mine shifts normal, just like if I had the OEM clutch. In fact, by now, I sometimes forget I have a Rekluse. I just use it like a normal clutch. Its just when I get into a bind, or slow speed manuvering that I use the Rekluse for its intended use.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #202
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
I only used the clutch to start and stop before or on technical trails. Now, with the Rekluse, I almost never touch the clutch lever.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:14 AM   #203
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
I only used the clutch to start and stop before or on technical trails. Now, with the Rekluse, I almost never touch the clutch lever.
As I said, I use mine like a reg clutch. I don't think either of is right or wrong, you're
Just able to do either, whatever you like.

Tho I do have mine set up pretty tight, so the Rekluse releases slower and engages quicker. Might be why I use the clutch lever more.......
Old 07-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #204
moto-treks
Back Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood_55 View Post
As I said, I use mine like a reg clutch. I don't think either of is right or wrong, you're
Just able to do either, whatever you like.

Tho I do have mine set up pretty tight, so the Rekluse releases slower and engages quicker. Might be why I use the clutch lever more.......
Being able to use the clutch with the lever is one of the better parts of the EXP design. Since I never used the clutch to shift before the EXP I don't use it now. Riding in town is a breeze as you don't need to worry about the clutch with the stop-n-go traffic. On more challenging trails you can forget about it altogether, which is great when it's the end of the day and your a bit tired. It will be interesting to see how these hold up after a few years. My guess is a bit better as I've seen two people burn up their standard clutch. Would the EXP have helped? I'm not sure, but I am sure it would not have hurt as long as one keep their fingers off the level in the conditions that killed these two clutches.

Moto-Treks
Old 10-26-2012, 03:45 PM   #205
xcflyn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,131
Mine chatters a little bit, I have the same effect on my 450, I never could get it perfect on the 450 but on that bike Im always givin her the beans so it isnt a big deal. With the big bike its a little annoying. Wonder if I should swap springs ? Any thoughts? Maybe I should be a little heavier on the throttle ?
xcflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #206
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcflyn View Post
Mine chatters a little bit, I have the same effect on my 450, I never could get it perfect on the 450 but on that bike Im always givin her the beans so it isnt a big deal. With the big bike its a little annoying. Wonder if I should swap springs ? Any thoughts? Maybe I should be a little heavier on the throttle ?

Mine chatters on take off in the beginning but after it warms up (Maybe a mile) it goes away. I also use it like a regular clutch except in the dirt and there it makes me smile with the ease i can go slow without worrying about killing the clutch or falling over, LOL.

I bought it for the Mud but unfortunately we're in the middle of a drought. I had killed the stock clutch and thought it was a combination of me and the clay but when installing the Rekluse I checked the oil jet and found it was defective (Had a blob of metal where the hole should be. (I used a vacuum pump and large magnifying glass to verify it was sealed but a vise and drill press solved that issue.)
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:43 PM   #207
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,418
Yep. Chatter on startup. Once warm, no issues. Good thing is that you can just use the lever until it's ready.

S
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #208
moto-treks
Back Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcflyn View Post
Or try the heaver wedges. I've played with the springs and wedges and the combinations do make a difference. I now have the latest setup suggestion for Rekluse, drive plates, heavy wedges and medium springs setting. This setup works nice for the road but I think I'm going to go with the low spring setting (early engagement) for the dirt.

Moto-Treks
Old 10-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #209
CharlieFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Once I got the Rekluse dialed in, my experience has noticed a little chatter when the bike is cold, but the chatter disappears once the bike is warmed up.

The EXP is my favorite mod, next to the safari tanks
Old 10-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #210
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
My guess is a bit better as I've seen two people burn up their standard clutch. Would the EXP have helped? I'm not sure, but I am sure it would not have hurt as long as one keep their fingers off the level in the conditions that killed these two clutches.
Jeff, FWIW I think the clutch plates will last longer with the Rekluse installed. All depends on how hard you are on the standard clutch I guess.

I've been running the Z-start pro on my 990 for about 60,000 miles now, original clutch plates, changed the second to top drive plate thickness a couple of times, I'm on the thick one now. Still works good, but I'm going to open it up again soon and see what everything looks like.

I tend to use the clutch when downshifting. When I get tired I tend to grind em a bit on a clutchless downshift, and that doesnt sound nice.

If the Rekluse basket is showing wear it might be a good excuse to upgrade to an EXP if nothing more for that bump start capability.

Are you bleeding Orange these days or do you still have the workhorse 1150?

crashmaster screwed with this post 10-29-2012 at 12:35 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote