Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2012, 04:29 AM   #91
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by uzidzit View Post
I did have a small problem with the ntx, a loose connector and blown fuse, lead to a flat battery late saturday night on the way back to knoxville. (I slept on a table at an abandoned store outside Turtletown Tn, on rt60). Hitched a ride to Ducktown (no cell service where I was "camping") and called the guys at RH first thing sunday morning. They got a trailer and picked me up in Ducktown and then the ntx ~20 miles away, and went back to the store. They had already charged a new battery for me and were ready to look at the bike. At about 7:30 they found the very minor problem re-ran all the electronics checks and sent me out all good with the new battery. The really nice part is they comped me a room in Dhlonaga for the night so I could get cleaned up and sleep before the trip back, first class I did not ask for. I was feeling pretty grubby, I had not planned to stay or camp, I was lucky that store had a hose bib behind it so there was water at least as it was in the high 90s when i left.

There is ONE CORRECTION to the owners manual!!!! The manual shows the secondary fuse panel behind the rt fairing!! IT AINT THERE NO MORE THE GAS TANK IS!!! it is behind a small panel on the rt side of the bike right under your rt thigh!! just a fyi
Jon
Sorry you had the little issue and I'm glad the folks at Rider's Hill did you good. I do like them alot.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:17 AM   #92
BrittC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
I did have a small problem with the ntx, a loose connector and blown fuse, lead to a flat battery late saturday night on the way back to knoxville. (I slept on a table at an abandoned store outside Turtletown Tn, on rt60). Hitched a ride to Ducktown (no cell service where I was "camping") and called the guys at RH first thing sunday morning. They got a trailer and picked me up in Ducktown and then the ntx ~20 miles away, and went back to the store. They had already charged a new battery for me and were ready to look at the bike. At about 7:30 they found the very minor problem re-ran all the electronics checks and sent me out all good with the new battery. The really nice part is they comped me a room in Dhlonaga for the night so I could get cleaned up and sleep before the trip back, first class I did not ask for. I was feeling pretty grubby, I had not planned to stay or camp, I was lucky that store had a hose bib behind it so there was water at least as it was in the high 90s when i left.

There is ONE CORRECTION to the owners manual!!!! The manual shows the secondary fuse panel behind the rt fairing!! IT AINT THERE NO MORE THE GAS TANK IS!!! it is behind a small panel on the rt side of the bike right under your rt thigh!! just a fyi
Jon

Now that is a first class dealership!
http://britt-motorcycling.blogspot.com
BrittC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:59 AM   #93
leafman60 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,675
Quote:
Moto Guzzi include a set of 3 matched lock barrels (under the seat with the manual), to the factory bag locks for givi luggage, so you can add a givi top box and have it keyed to the factory side cases if you wish.

No extra lock barrels on my NTX ....
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:24 AM   #94
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
No extra lock barrels on my NTX ....
nor mine...
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:30 AM   #95
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
nor mine...
Mine were in the underseat tray - I assumed they were to fit the Norge style panniers and top box
Old 07-18-2012, 11:24 AM   #96
uzidzit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
the lock bbls

they were located in the under seat tray, in a seperate bag from the documentation, and tool bag. Maybe they were added after the first few ntxs were crated, not sure but I am sure mine will fit hepco, and givi bags. I do not run top boxes as they bug me I use a soft duffle on top if needed
uzidzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:42 AM   #97
leafman60 OP
Beastly Adventurer

The current issue of Motorcycle Consumer News (August 2012), has a review of Triumph's new 1200 Explorer. This comes fresh on the heels of last month's review of the Stelvio.

I advise you fellow Guzzi-philes to take a read of Triumph review. I find the situation interesting that the Guzzi is cited several times as somewhat of a benchmark to which the Triumph is judged and not always in a positive way for the Triumph.

Been a long time since that kind of thing happened.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:19 AM   #98
Dust_
Adventure Dreamer

Oddometer: 175
I've followed this thread from the beggining and just saw that I haven't said anything. Congratulations, this is a truly wonderful unique bike!
Old 07-21-2012, 08:07 AM   #99
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,679
Picked mine up yesterday...I've put on less than 100 miles so far, but WOW, I am impressed. The bike is just fantastic, comfortable, and smooth. Much better than I expected.

Word to the wise for your new buyers- go over the bike top to bottom with the dealer when you pick it up (inspect the crate if you can). Mine had some shipping damage to the left hand guard and one of the front headlight gaskets were messed up. The dealer wrote down all the issues and has parts on order. No big deal, but you don't want to be stuck with those things when you leave.

The lighting on this thing is amazing. The headlights and fog lights are VERY bright. Could not be happier.

More info and mods as time moves on.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:08 PM   #100
Gravel grinder
2 Wheeler

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
The current issue of Motorcycle Consumer News (August 2012), has a review of Triumph's new 1200 Explorer. This comes fresh on the heels of last month's review of the Stelvio.

I advise you fellow Guzzi-philes to take a read of Triumph review. I find the situation interesting that the Guzzi is cited several times as somewhat of a benchmark to which the Triumph is judged and not always in a positive way for the Triumph.

Been a long time since that kind of thing happened.
Really interested in reading the Stelvio review, but I can't see it anywhere in the July 2012 issue of the magazine. I'm REALLY leaning towards a Stelvio purchase, but like many have some reservations about service, parts and long term reliability. Not really different than any other 2 wheeled unit, just such a limited number on the road (which is a very good thing in my opinion). I have a dealer an hour away........and 1 in stock......
Gravel grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #101
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel grinder View Post
Really interested in reading the Stelvio review, but I can't see it anywhere in the July 2012 issue of the magazine. I'm REALLY leaning towards a Stelvio purchase, but like many have some reservations about service, parts and long term reliability. Not really different than any other 2 wheeled unit, just such a limited number on the road (which is a very good thing in my opinion). I have a dealer an hour away........and 1 in stock......
Long term reliability isn't an issue with Guzzis. They are very robust....once you get through the "teething pains" that can occur with them from new. It's my understanding that under Piaggio's rule, those early issues have been significantly reduced (I owned an '08 Norge that had some early problems, but that was before Piaggio bought Guzzi), and if true, it should be a relatively trouble-free machine. I'll know soon enough as I pick my new NTX up next week.

-SM

Sock Monkey screwed with this post 07-21-2012 at 08:28 PM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #102
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
It's my understanding that under Piaggio's rule, those early issues have been significantly reduced
(I owned an '08 Norge that had some early problems, but that was before Piaggio bought Guzzi),
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...io-aprilia.htm

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/2010FebStelvio.pdf

"But since the company’s purchase by Piaggio in 2004,
redesigned products with dramatically improved quality control
have been rumbling out of Guzzi’s factory doors."
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:06 AM   #103
leafman60 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel grinder View Post
Really interested in reading the Stelvio review, but I can't see it anywhere in the July 2012 issue of the magazine.
Motorcycle Consumer News (US)

It is not online yet but it appeared in last month's paper issue.

Better go down there and get that bike before someone else buys it out from under you ! lol
Old 07-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #104
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...io-aprilia.htm

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/2010FebStelvio.pdf

"But since the company’s purchase by Piaggio in 2004,
redesigned products with dramatically improved quality control
have been rumbling out of Guzzi’s factory doors."
Interesting! I didn't realize PG purchased Guzzi so long ago.

Let's hope by now they have all the bugs worked out!

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #105
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
The lighting on this thing is amazing. The headlights and fog lights are VERY bright. Could not be happier.
This is the best lit bike I've had - being that I run the aux lights all the time I did fit 35w bulbs in place of the 55w stockers