alicethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #17
steven_04 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicethomas View Post
Same as for 1 year: 40 CHF, 33.
33 for the swiss vignette for 1 day??????????????????????????? Do they sell a cheaper one? I mean i'm a tourist, i don't need such an expensive vignette. 33 is more than the half fuel i'm going to consume in order to reach Bolzano.
steven_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:19 AM   #18
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_04 View Post
33 for the swiss vignette for 1 day??????????????????????????? Do they sell a cheaper one?
Nope. That's why I stick to the backroads in Switzerland.

You COULD just take your chances - as long as you're not making a border crossing or doing anything to arouse the interest of the authorities, the chances of you being stopped at random are just about nil.

I've rented a few times in Switzerland, and the renters put the vignettes on the underside of the seat - not visible when riding, and I've never been stopped or asked to show the vignette.
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:22 AM   #19
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr&MrsErnbo View Post
Have a great ride and be safe. Once in Bolzano take the time to ride up to Castelrotto,
That would be the Alpe de Siusi (or Seiser Alm). Castelrotto (Kastelruth) is the nearest town.

And it is a lovely ride. Up and back, though - not a through route.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:04 AM   #20
steven_04 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
That would be the Alpe de Siusi (or Seiser Alm). Castelrotto (Kastelruth) is the nearest town.

And it is a lovely ride. Up and back, though - not a through route.
Thank you Michael. I don't know if i will take the chance because we will be tourists with Licences from anotether countries and bikes fully loaded, so maybe the authorities would like to check if we have the vignete.

After that i thought an another plan to reach Bolzano:

Mannheim -> Konstanz, take the ferry to Meersburg and then straight down to Lindau and enter Austria, follow A14 and E60. Then turn right at rout 180 for Prutz, Serfaus, Nauders and then Viva Italia!!!!

Route B here
Old 07-22-2012, 08:44 AM   #21
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Then turn right at rout 180 for Prutz, Serfaus, Nauders and then Viva Italia!!!!
That would work nicely - the Italian part is a main road, but traffic flows nicely.

You'll go over the Passo di Resia (Reschenpass) which is worth a brief stop to see the submerged church. A bit further east is Glorenza (Glurns) - a preserved medieval town with a great ice cream shop in the square

Continuing east, you'll pass the turnoff for Stelvio on your right and the road to the Timmelsjoch as you pass by Merano.

A possible alternative would be to head east (before the turn to Serafus) towards Imst in and go over the Timmelsjoch to Merano.

Yet another (my choice) would be to stay in Germany on the Autobahn heading towards Fussen, go south to Elmen in Austria, over the Hahntenjoch to Imst, a bit east from Imst towards Innsbruck and then south up the Oetztal to the Timmelsjoch and then Merano & Bolzano - this would give you two GREAT roads in Austria and Autobahns almost all the way to the border. AutoRoute shows this to be 568kms with 346 of those Autobahn from Mannheim to Fussen with 190kms of great roads in between (and then 30 kms of busy road between Merano & Bolzano).

So many roads, so little time
Old 07-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #22
steven_04 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
That would work nicely - the Italian part is a main road, but traffic flows nicely.

You'll go over the Passo di Resia (Reschenpass) which is worth a brief stop to see the submerged church. A bit further east is Glorenza (Glurns) - a preserved medieval town with a great ice cream shop in the square

Continuing east, you'll pass the turnoff for Stelvio on your right and the road to the Timmelsjoch as you pass by Merano.

A possible alternative would be to head east (before the turn to Serafus) towards Imst in and go over the Timmelsjoch to Merano.

Yet another (my choice) would be to stay in Germany on the Autobahn heading towards Fussen, go south to Elmen in Austria, over the Hahntenjoch to Imst, a bit east from Imst towards Innsbruck and then south up the Oetztal to the Timmelsjoch and then Merano & Bolzano - this would give you two GREAT roads in Austria and Autobahns almost all the way to the border. AutoRoute shows this to be 568kms with 346 of those Autobahn from Mannheim to Fussen with 190kms of great roads in between (and then 30 kms of busy road between Merano & Bolzano).

So many roads, so little time

Thank's to your suggestions. According to what you said, our return route is going to be this
Old 07-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #23
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thank's to your suggestions. According to what you said, our return route is going to be this
Fernpass, huh? This is Alpine Roads' take on the Fernpass: "If you really have to get into or out of Austria near here in a hurry or bad weather then the Fernpass (1207m) is your best bet. A main route from Southern Germany into Austria, and therefore iIt carries tons of heavy traffic and is normally to be avoided like the plague at weekends"

Since you're already going through Imst, I'd highly recommend the Hahntenjoch - that road rejoins your route at Reutte.

Again - A-R's take

L246 out of Imst, becomes L266 and joins the 198 at Elmen.

MUCH nicer ride. It would add 7kms and 20 minutes to your trip.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #24
steven_04 OP
Adventurer

Sorry, missunderstanding. I think now the return route is corrected.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:51 PM   #25
steven_04 OP
Adventurer

7 Days left

Can't wait...
Old 08-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #26
steven_04 OP
Adventurer

See you next week amigos. Leaving tomorrow morning. Wish me good luck, i need it...
Old 08-12-2012, 02:33 AM   #27
steven_04 OP
Adventurer

Back to base :(

No problem happened, all done by the plan and i saw amazing scenes on Dolomites. From now I think i'm in love with north Italy...