Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #16
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Oddometer: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeast View Post
What - where's the rest? Now I need to live vicariously through you.
haha I'm working on it as I write this I'll post an update today. It's hard to pick what photos to share... THANKS to all of you for leaving your comments

betitolara screwed with this post 07-21-2012 at 12:23 AM
betitolara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #17
stickman1432
Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
Great stuff keep it coming.....................

R1200GS-08', WR250R-08'
XR650R-03', 110 Honda-83'
stickman1432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #18
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Day 2 (23km): Bella Coola la bella

Every time I start my bike first thing in the morning the engine sounds TERRIBLE (I'll post a short video soon) Remnants of the rebuild in Peru no doubt. Despite what my dealer says, it does not sound like my fathers F8GS. At least it's still going I guess, but I'm not pleased that dealers are adamant that that is how the bike is supposed to sound. No way.

We had planned for a quick morning. Wake up, pack up and head to the ferry. We were supposed to get to the terminal 2 hrs before the scheduled sailing time for our reservation, and we did.... just. The ferry didn't seem that busy at any rate, so I think we would have been fine either way. The extra time hanging around the terminal was spent talking shop with the 2 1200GSs also taking the ferry, and eating some breakfast. Once again it was a nice day, so hanging around the ferry terminal was no big deal.

A glorious sunny morning in P. Hardy

We didn't have to spend that long waiting to board the ferry, or it didn't seem that long anyway. On board we quickly secured the bikes and got some prime seating upstairs. What we didn't know at the time is that the chairs all face in the wrong direction so we ended up being on the opposite side that we had intended to. Lesson learned for next time.

A BMW afair ... those tie-downs were pretty useless (the beemer owner on the left used his own tie-downs)

We took advantage of the ferry wall sockets and charged up all of our devices. Alternating between time lounging outside in the sun and relaxing inside out of the wind. Lunch was surprisingly good, somehow this ferry food tasted better than normal. We were able to leave all our things at our seats and roam about the boat worry free, a nice thing about traveling in Canada. All of our stuff was always waiting for us when we returned; it was a very comfortable relaxed atmosphere.

Our spot for 13 hrs

Ferry views

Very cool lighthouse

Lunch time!

The BC Ferries employees were exceptional, very friendly and helpful throughout. At dinner time they cooked up a BBQ on the bow outside deck, and it was fantastic. The ladies working in the cafeteria even gave us some techniques to score extra food! We dined out on the deck and were rewarded with a great view, sunshine and wildlife. Joining us for dinner was a pod of dolphins and then a little later some humpback whales decided to join the party. They weren't really doing anything exciting mostly just coming up and down getting some air, but out of nowhere one breached and it was awesome! We also had a slight peek of a tale. Either way it was great! Loved the ferry ride, it is a worthwhile experience particularly when the weather is clear skies and sunshine.

Worth the price

The coast line

Originally named BASTO II

Blue skies all the way!

BBQ on the deck!

Not often we have a chance for the two of us to be on the same photo

BBQ chicken was more than enough for 2

It was a very very nice dinner experience

Dolphins playing all around the ship

The tale of a whale

Mountains by the sea

Did we mention that the views were amazing?

See the size of the tree for a scale of things

Naomi takes great photos!

Near the end

Red snow

It was a bit hectic when we landed in Bella Coola because they don't let you down to the car deck until the ferry is actually docked. We were racing like mad trying to get our bikes packed back up and helmets on. It was dark when we got off, but luckily it was only 16km to the campground we had booked in Hagensborg. The couple that run the Gnome Home RV and Campground are really friendly and they were waiting at the entrance with a flashlight to flag us down.

We pretty much just set up the tent and crashed, it was a long but great day. Kinda weird since we didn't do any riding, haha

Late camping

betitolara screwed with this post 07-21-2012 at 01:51 PM
Old 07-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #19
tofire409
Geared up and ready.

Oddometer: 542
It looks like this trip may provide a few pics that will worthy for another Horizon's calander

Sorry to hear that the bike still has not fully recovered from Peru.....winter project?

I LOVE your photos and look forward to the rest of your report!
Toronto to Maine and back, Toronto to Boston -The Long way, To the Dragon
tofire409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:23 PM   #20
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,361
Great pictures Alberto
Old 07-20-2012, 08:09 PM   #21
MrKiwi
Ageing Enthusiast

Oddometer: 326
I'm in, plan to do this trip at some point when we finally bring our bikes up from NZ...
Old 07-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #22
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,262
beautiful pics...we live in a gorgeous Province...Alberto you lost a lot of weight! The Alaska Ferry system could learn from BC that set up they have for bikes. Looking forward to more!
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #23
far
ADVreader

Oddometer: 135
Thumb subscribe

Great pictures from a beautiful place
far is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:29 AM   #24
naotweed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Thanks for following along eyerone, and for the locals we are both looking forward to meeting you in person and swapping some stories at the BCBTR
naotweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #25
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofire409 View Post
It looks like this trip may provide a few pics that will worthy for another Horizon's calander
I have one photo in mind from this trip that I want to submit for the 2013 HU calendar... but it's from day 6 or 7 I think
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
beautiful pics...we live in a gorgeous Province...Alberto you lost a lot of weight!
Indeed! I was blown away with the overall 'adventure riding' experience we had in this short trip.

Hahaha I guess being 30 lbs lighter becomes noticeable (thanks to Herbalife btw )

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
Great pictures Alberto
Muchas gracias!
Old 07-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #26
bujas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Looks promising this ride report, look forward to see more.
bujas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #27
soph9
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by betitolara View Post

Hahaha I guess being 30 lbs lighter becomes noticeable (thanks to Herbalife btw )

Muchas gracias!
looking good
Old 07-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #28
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Day 3 (292km): The Movie Spot

The first real day of the trip begins, real because we are actually riding in places we've never been. We sort of had a lazy start due to the late night the previous evening. We showered up, breakfasted up and then hit the road.

Two bikes, one tent = perfect!

Breakfast setup

Bella Coola!

Back on the road surrounded by awesome vistas

The scenery was quite impressive in the light of day. We decided to back track back into Bella Coola to see what was up. That took about 5min, and then we were back on the road heading east. While Alberto was parked at the side of the road taking a picture a friendly local told him to follow him to a great spot to get some good views of the mountains. So off we went into the hills following the guy in the red pickup. It was like a 15min detour, what a friendly guy to offer. It's fun, bizarre, random moments like that that make doing trips fun for us.

Leaving Bella Coola

Blue skies again!

Lots of 'head-turning' scenery

We enjoyed the road very much. There was very little traffic and lots of amazing scenery. Reasonably twisty and the road surface is fair.

What a nice ride it was

Wow...

Incredible panoramas right next to the road

After a 'photo break' we needed to keep rolling

We experienced the infamous "hill". A very nicely maintained dirt road I must say. Some of the tightest switchbacks we have ever been on. It was great fun!

On 'The Hill'

Twisty stuff

Why do they call it 'The Hill'?

Still climbing up

Heidenau vs VeeRubber

Then when the dirt road plateaus it is quite smooth, wide and fast, very much like a paved highway. Some people were really flying too, we tried to keep it sensible. The only complaint we have is that when we stopped for lunch the mosquitoes were crazy, so much so that we had to postpone our lunch stop!

Lunch break ... before the mosquitoes noticed our presence

Smooth like mantequilla (ala Jorge Lorenzo)

We felt really isolated riding today, which reminded us of riding in foreign countries. I joked to Alberto that I never need to leave BC again because I can simulate almost any type of riding in this province.

It was another gorgeous sunny today, quite warm actually. We both had our vents blasted wide open! How long can this luck continue? I hope a long time. We eventually stopped for gas and lunch in Nimpo lake. There were mosquitoes but it was not nearly as bad as earlier. We continued on Highway 20 until Tatla Lake where we turned off on a secondary road to find a campsite that was recommended by the owners of Gnomes Home. They said it was called the Movie Spot, because of the scenery. It was worth the detour and then some. We camped at a spectacular lake side Rec Site with fantastic mountain views. Life is good.

Well maintained dirt roads almost too well to call it 'adventure riding'

Naomi and her new head gear: XD4 + S.Cardo G9

La Gringa back on the road, where it belongs (50% of the time napping on it )

We set up shop right on the lake in a pretty private little site. We were all settled in pretty early, which gave us a chance to enjoy the sun and the views. A nice relaxing evening is a perfect spot.

Tatlayoko Lake = amazing

Free camping @ its best!

The view from our tent

The 'movie spot' view

Dinner time!

GREAT camping spot:

Agua es vida (Water is life)

Nice to enjoy what BC has to offer

I like this shot

Planning our next move

Great gadget to keep our electronics running
[

Night falls and colours rise

Last shot of the day (11pm)

betitolara screwed with this post 07-23-2012 at 04:06 PM
Old 07-22-2012, 12:41 PM   #29
soph9
Bike Addict

We never been to Bella Coola..we missed that area last year...now we know where we must go!
Old 07-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #30
VanIsland Rider
Intrepid Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Hi Naomi and Alberto

Great pics and RR. Last summer my wife and I did a 5000km loop through southern BC, into Alberta, and ending up in Bella Coola. It never ceases to amaze me what an incredible province BC is and how lucky we are to call it home!! In the area that you are now in, we came across a couple of young grizzly's and also had to stop due to three very large bulls deciding to rest in the middle of the highway!!

Our ferry ride also turned into an adventure as we had to anchor overnight due to bad weather in the Queen Charlotte Strait. The ferry ride turned into a 32 hour trip!! The staff on board were amazing and took very good care of us. I have never been so envious of motorhome owners as we had to sleep on the floor sharing one pillow and blanket. It all adds to the adventure though.

Take care and keep the pics coming.
Bryan

2004 R1200GS (yes there really is such a bike)
VanIsland Rider is offline   Reply With Quote