Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #1501
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
I guess neither one of you are in their target market.

All I have stated is that there are enough guys (& gals) who won't have an issue with the price tag for a limited production exotic bike.

Bimota has a similar demographic, but they use someone else's motor. At least Motus developed (with help) their own engine.

I think they have the best chance of succeding with an American sport bike since Buell was bought by HD.

On second thought, we all now know how that worked out but I don't think it was Buell's fault that they failed. HD never let them be the bike company that they wanted to become.

Regardless, whether or not I ever own or even ride one, I hope they succeed.

Rick G
Not sure what your point is: "Idiots with too much money will buy anything different to be cool?" You're right. But I make plenty money and would far rather spend it converting a V-Rod into a real bike than buying a Motus. I wish them no ill will and hope they pull it off. But hey, I could change my mind and buy one someday.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:10 AM   #1502
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,880
Not every person with money is an idiot. Some are just over the top motorheads just like most on this forum but with more money to buy more toys for their garage. I wish I was in that postion. But to say you would be an idtiot to buy one well that is just plain wrong. That would be like saying every guy that buys a $35,000 + Harley CVO Screaming Eagle is an idiot.

OK, that didn't help my point at all, did it? LOL But the same can be said of those who bought that $72,000 v4 Ducati several years back or the guys who bought the limited editions HP bikes from BMW or any other high dollar limited edition bike.

The fact remains, the Motus for better or worse is going to be a very cool bike with awesome sport tour performance at a price that is still realisticlly in the reach of many enthusiasts. We are talking $35 grand not $100 grand!

I just don't get the bashing. Wheter or not the Motus appeals to you, as a die hard motoryclist, you should be happy that an American Co is giving it a go.

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:19 AM   #1503
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Not every person with money is an idiot. Some are just over the top motorheads just like most on this forum but with more money to buy more toys for their garage. I wish I was in that postion. But to say you would be an idtiot to buy one well that is just plain wrong. That would be like saying every guy that buys a $35,000 + Harley CVO Screaming Eagle is an idiot.

OK, that didn't help my point at all, did it? LOL But the same can be said of those who bought that $72,000 v4 Ducati several years back or the guys who bought the limited editions HP bikes from BMW or any other high dollar limited edition bike.

The fact remains, the Motus for better or worse is going to be a very cool bike with awesome sport tour performance at a price that is still realisticlly in the reach of many enthusiasts. We are talking $35 grand not $100 grand!

I just don't get the bashing. Wheter or not the Motus appeals to you, as a die hard motoryclist, you should be happy that an American Co is giving it a go.

Rick G
Heh, heh... I get what you're saying and it isn't me who's saying "only people with money are stupid enough to buy something just because it's expensive." What I AM saying, however, is that my K1200R is a fantastic, fast bike that came with ESA, ABS, and all kinds of stuff for 1/2 the Motus price out the door. No bashing intended. I hope they pull it off. But at the moment, I don't get it. That's all.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #1504
LoneTraveler
Captain Zoomtastic

Oddometer: 439
I'm guessing that the general consensus is that this company is probably not going to survive long. Their product is too expensive, making it into a niche within a niche market. They have almost no support, no reputation, and no clear development plan for future expansion.

I wish them luck, but to be honest, I think they're fuckin' crazy for asking that kind of money. Given the choice of bikes on the market, money no object, would any of you inmates here actually buy this thing?
LoneTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #1505
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneTraveler View Post
I'm guessing that the general consensus is that this company is probably not going to survive long. Their product is too expensive, making it into a niche within a niche market. They have almost no support, no reputation, and no clear development plan for future expansion.

I wish them luck, but to be honest, I think they're fuckin' crazy for asking that kind of money. Given the choice of bikes on the market, money no object, would any of you inmates here actually buy this thing?
I really like sport tourers as a concept and miss my departed ST3 and if I was in that financial position to pay $35 grand cash for a bike and there was a dealer nearby, then yes, I would consider buying one. If you compare what they are doing with Confederate, who is also putting out some very expensive limited edition bikes of a different flavor, then the Motus is a bargain! It is all how you look at it.

I agree with Srannel that the K12RS or Concourse 14 or VFR1200 and others can perform as well for far less cash. Have we all forgotten why we lust after cool bikes? And the Motus is one cool bike and I can't wait to hear one run with the snarling V4.

Their marketing plan from what I have read does not require stupid numbers to be successful. They seem to be moving forward at a reasonable pace and are not rushing to market. They have good talent and are farming out to quality shops what they can't do themselves. They are doing their homework and I think their bike will be recieved well by the press.

I am not even sure why I am defending them so much as I probably will never own one. I just think it is great that an American company is doing this, starting a new motorcycle brand and building it right here in the USA. I just can't understand why everyone is bashing them and not rooting for them. Maybe those who can't afford one are pissed. Well get over it! I can't afford a new Posrsche or even a new Corvette but I certainly don't want them to fail!

I will get off my high horse right now.

Rick G
Old 07-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #1506
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,523
Quote:
Given the choice of bikes on the market, money no object, would any of you inmates here actually buy this thing?
you've obviously ridden one you tell us.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #1507
Fundamental
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Quote:

From what I have read, Motus's business model doesn't require huge numbers to be profitable. All they need to do is sell a couple hundred bikes in each of the next few years and then slowy release additional models as they gain experience.

Rick G
Exactly. They have a cost structure (hopefully) in place that allows them to sell low numbers and keep afloat. I could buy one, but would wait until year 2-3 and some birthing pains are worked out
Fundamental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #1508
Incredulous
Peanut Gallery

Oddometer: 565
Quote:
I
Given the choice of bikes on the market, money no object, would any of you inmates here actually buy this thing?
If I was a wealthy individual, yes, absolutely I would buy this bike...cheaper than a 'Vette.
Incredulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #1509
Rhino-1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 878
Quote:

Yes. And it would live next to my New Norton and A Bimota Desi...

There is a lot of pessimism and negativity on this board (maybe everywhere?) regarding a new, American motorbike company. Any wonder that Excelsior and Buell went down in flames?

I very much want EBR to succeed so that I might be in a position to buy a new American sportbike. I'd never heard of Motus until I stumbled across this post, but it looks awesome to me. I'd hit it.

'03 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, '04 Aprilia Mille Factory, '75 Honda CB125S
Rhino-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #1510
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
Heh, heh... I get what you're saying and it isn't me who's saying "only people with money are stupid enough to buy something just because it's expensive." What I AM saying, however, is that my K1200R is a fantastic, fast bike that came with ESA, ABS, and all kinds of stuff for 1/2 the Motus price out the door. No bashing intended. I hope they pull it off. But at the moment, I don't get it. That's all.
And remember, somewhere out there are a bunch of people saying how stupid it is to buy a K1200R when you could buy a Hayabusa or BKing for thousands less. Subsequently those buyers are blasted by the group who thinks they get all of the goodies in a new old stock giveaway Bandit. And on it goes, until you get to the KLR buyer, who not coincidentally is judged to be a fool by the USED KLR buyer

The MOTUS is too expensive for ME. But that doesn't mean it's too expensive. It's only too expensive if they can't sell enough to stay in business. I wish them well, as all of motorcycling will benefit in the long run. And if they thrive, I'd be willing to be that sweet V-4 might show up in something a bit more affordable in due time.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #1511
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
And remember, somewhere out there are a bunch of people saying how stupid it is to buy a K1200R when you could buy a Hayabusa or BKing for thousands less. Subsequently those buyers are blasted by the group who thinks they get all of the goodies in a new old stock giveaway Bandit. And on it goes, until you get to the KLR buyer, who not coincidentally is judged to be a fool by the USED KLR buyer

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #1512
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
But I make plenty money and would far rather spend it converting a V-Rod into a real bike than buying a Motus.
now there's a novel idea.

how about a dual sport Valkyrie while you're at it!
Old 07-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #1513
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
He spews his thread-shitting, BMW stroking, uninformed BS in EVERY thread. The fact he can't see RW is perfect. He can troll elsewhere.
aw gee who did I miss...
Old 07-24-2012, 10:33 PM   #1514
EetsOK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Really depressing to hear that the Motus is going to be even more money. Although still better value than a new Indian though.

Well at least it is an original design.

Whatever happened to MotoCzysz?
Old 07-25-2012, 05:31 AM   #1515
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by EetsOK View Post
Really depressing to hear that the Motus is going to be even more money. Although still better value than a new Indian though.
Well at least it is an original design.

Whatever happened to MotoCzysz?
IIRC they are into electric bikes now. I think they just set a new average speed record of just over 100 mph at the Isle of Man.

Rick G

Rick G screwed with this post 07-25-2012 at 09:52 AM