Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2012, 05:43 AM   #1516
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post

I just don't get the bashing. Wheter or not the Motus appeals to you, as a die hard motoryclist, you should be happy that an American Co is giving it a go.

Rick G
Me neither. It's pathetic, really. If you want one and can afford it, go buy it. If not, don't.

Plenty of folks on this website who have dropped over 30K on BMW motorcycles when all the farkles and other shit is added up. Plenty more folks with the disposable income to buy the Motus. Apparently, though, it's more fun to sit in your chair and bitch about it over the forum than it is to go buy one. I wonder how many of the people who said "if I were rich, I'd buy one," actually WOULD buy one if they had the money.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:26 AM   #1517
limeymike
Who Me?

Oddometer: 551
This must be the longest thread for a company where production hasn't started yet. Any date set when they will begin making the damn things?
limeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:33 AM   #1518
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
. I wonder how many of the people who said "if I were rich, I'd buy one," actually WOULD buy one if they had the money.
Probably even less than the group who said that "If the XR1200 was available in the U.S., I would buy one" back when it was released as a Europe only model. Then Harley made it available here, evolved it into the even better XR1200X, and still nobody buys them here. Those kind of statements are easy to make on the internet where there's no obligation to follow through attached to it.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:47 AM   #1519
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,703
The flag waving in this thread is ridiculous. If you want to wax patriotic about American innovation, start a thread about Zero or Brammo, and the availability of realistically practical electric motorcycles.

Motus isn't doing anything fundamentally different, other than limited production and a high price tag.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:56 AM   #1520
Rhino-1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
The flag waving in this thread is ridiculous. If you want to wax patriotic about American innovation, start a thread about Zero or Brammo, and the availability of realistically practical electric motorcycles.

Motus isn't doing anything fundamentally different, other than limited production and a high price tag.
And yor point is? Does it have to be fundamentally different in order for it to be acceptable as an American sportbike? Is a ZX10R fundamentally different than a GSXR1000? An SR1000? Does it matter much?

And just what is so wrong about "flag waving" and wanting a real American alternative?

I have a few oddball bikes, to be sure, and none of them were cheap. I might be ready for a real ST soon. I like BMW's and the new Connie in that role. The Motus is super intriguing...

'03 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, '04 Aprilia Mille Factory, '75 Honda CB125S
Rhino-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:29 AM   #1521
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Honestly, and you may find this trivial, but I do not find the bike exciting to look at. Or even different. If I were starting with a clean piece of paper...
Old 07-25-2012, 08:42 AM   #1522
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,899
Motus is in the same ball park as Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Maserati, etc. etc.. Not as expensive but just as exclusive to most riders, and in that light it is irrelevant to most riders. So it will get its ass kicked, as it should, in a society were fortunes are made satisfying the wants of the masses, not the few. Its class warfare boys, get your colts ready, the snobs are coming. BUT most riders if they were being totally honest without filters, would wish and hope that Motus would become the next American legend, I do.

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #1523
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by capriccio View Post
Motus is in the same ball park as Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Maserati, etc. etc.. Not as expensive but just as exclusive to most riders, and in that light it is irrelevant to most riders. So it will get its ass kicked, as it should, in a society were fortunes are made satisfying the wants of the masses, not the few. Its class warfare boys, get your colts ready, the snobs are coming.
Ferrari etc. are now, basically, irrelevant. I can buy a C6 Corvette that will eat far more expensive "exotics" for lunch at a fraction of the price. Ferrari even licensed the Magnetic suspension from Cadillac to stay competitive (available on Corvettes since the 90s). It's not about satisfying the masses, it's plain and simple the march of technology. You don't NEED a Ferrari, but you sure can WANT one. Same with the Motus. But it's got to look (and be) a lot more interesting to make me WANT one.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:47 AM   #1524
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
Ferrari etc. are now, basically, irrelevant. I can buy a C6 Corvette that will eat far more expensive "exotics" for lunch at a fraction of the price. Ferrari even licensed the Magnetic suspension from Cadillac to stay competitive (available on Corvettes since the 90s). It's not about satisfying the masses, it's plain and simple the march of technology. You don't NEED a Ferrari, but you sure can WANT one. Same with the Motus. But it's got to look (and be) a lot more interesting to make me WANT one.
anyone who heard that thing running via the youtube link a few pages back on the Barber track and states they didn't find that bike "interesting" (keeping in mind it's a V f'ing 4) is either lying, has an agenda, jealous, inept, or all of the above.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:50 AM   #1525
bikeama
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Hope they make it. I gave up waiting and got a k1600GT, almost as much as the MOTUS. May look at one in a year or two if I get tired of the the BMW. Yes I am one the the old retired guys who saved and can afford to pay cash for one if I like it.

Bill in STockton
bikeama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #1526
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,871
If you really think about it, the Motus is in the reach of far more riders than given credit for. The comparison to Ferrari or Maserati whose entry level cars are in the $200,000 range doesn't wash. The average new car right now is in the $30,000 range so the exotic cars are 7-10 times the cost of an average car. Go up one level to BMW 3 series, Auid A4 or Mercedes C Class and those are around $50-60,000, the exotics are still 3-4 times that of these already upmarket cars.

Now look at Motus at $35,000. The average new bike is around $10,000 so a Motus is only 3 times the average new bike. Now go up market to BMW, Ducati etc and the average new bike is in the $15-20,000 range so stepping up to the Motus is only at most a little more than double and in the case of a top BMW1200RT wich is now in the $22-24,000 you are only paying about a 50% premium. Or about the same if you jump from an average $30,000 car to a Bimmer.

Now factor in that the Motus is being marketed as an up market and limited production alternative to BMW and their are quite a few folks out there that can afford to buy one in cash or be able to afford the payments.

How many guys do you know with a garage full of newer bikes? Or has a used $30,000 Porshce or Vette in their driveway? Or maybe a $40,000 boat in dry dock? I am not rich, but I know quite a few guys that fit that mold who live for thier passion and are willing to spend money on it even if they are just working class guys like the rest of us. They find a way to play.

I just don't get why so man think that a fairly reasonable $35K will be unsurmountable to so many when in fact it is just the opposite if you are being realistic. I am not saying that there are more who could afford than not, but there are enough to make a modest sales goal attainable.

Really, I think many of the bashers here really want one and are just pissed that they chose the wrong profession or didn't pay enough attention in school to learn how to get ahead in the world.

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #1527
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,013
Understood , affordable.

No, not really, but feel free to think so.

I did go out and buy a tractor this year at nearly $40,000. Not real glamorous I know , but I needed a tractor after the old one seized and there wasn't time to rebuild it.That will come later.
The thing is with the tractor, I use it for doing work. And it is finanaced at 0% for 5 years and fully tax deductable.
Motorcycles are toys/luxury items. I buy used and seldom spend more than $2000 on one.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #1528
Rhino-1
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
Understood , affordable.

No, not really, but feel free to think so.

I did go out and buy a tractor this year at nearly $40,000. Not real glamorous I know , but I needed a tractor after the old one seized and there wasn't time to rebuild it.That will come later.
The thing is with the tractor, I use it for doing work. And it is finanaced at 0% for 5 years and fully tax deductable.
Motorcycles are toys/luxury items. I buy used and seldom spend more than $2000 on one.
I'd say on this forum (if you stay out of the KLR threads) you are in the distinct minority... 2,000 is what many ADV'ers guys spend on suspension alone...

Old 07-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #1529
Rhino-1
Studly Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
If you really think about it, the Motus is in the reach of far more riders than given credit for. The comparison to Ferrari or Maserati whose entry level cars are in the $200,000 range doesn't wash. The average new car right now is in the $30,000 range so the exotic cars are 7-10 times the cost of an average car. Go up one level to BMW 3 series, Auid A4 or Mercedes C Class and those are around $50-60,000, the exotics are still 3-4 times that of these already upmarket cars.

Now look at Motus at $35,000. The average new bike is around $10,000 so a Motus is only 3 times the average new bike. Now go up market to BMW, Ducati etc and the average new bike is in the $15-20,000 range so stepping up to the Motus is only at most a little more than double and in the case of a top BMW1200RT wich is now in the $22-24,000 you are only paying about a 50% premium. Or about the same if you jump from an average $30,000 car to a Bimmer.

Now factor in that the Motus is being marketed as an up market and limited production alternative to BMW and their are quite a few folks out there that can afford to buy one in cash or be able to afford the payments.

How many guys do you know with a garage full of newer bikes? Or has a used $30,000 Porshce or Vette in their driveway? Or maybe a $40,000 boat in dry dock? I am not rich, but I know quite a few guys that fit that mold who live for thier passion and are willing to spend money on it even if they are just working class guys like the rest of us. They find a way to play.

I just don't get why so man think that a fairly reasonable $35K will be unsurmountable to so many when in fact it is just the opposite if you are being realistic. I am not saying that there are more who could afford than not, but there are enough to make a modest sales goal attainable.

Really, I think many of the bashers here really want one and are just pissed that they chose the wrong profession or didn't pay enough attention in school to learn how to get ahead in the world.

Rick G
Well said, Rick.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:10 AM   #1530
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeama View Post
Hope they make it. I gave up waiting and got a k1600GT, almost as much as the MOTUS. May look at one in a year or two if I get tired of the the BMW. Yes I am one the the old retired guys who saved and can afford to pay cash for one if I like it.

Bill in STockton
That's 'cause you live in STockton...
hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote