Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #571
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 2,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommer View Post
hey thumper,
if i have my driver liscence back i would love to come over for this ride! who is in charge of it? and how do i get into it?
It's being put on by The Big Island Dual Sport Assn, a rather loosely knit gathering of folks that like all things dirtbike. Don't be surprised if you don't get timely responses from them, it's the Big Island....

Link Here: http://bidsa.mk200.com/
Old 07-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #572
burlap
n00b

Oddometer: 1
rentals on KAUAI??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmason71 View Post
I'm looking for a place to rent ADV bikes on Maui. All I can find is Harleys. I'm mostly going to be riding on the road unless someone has some cool trails they can show me. It'd be great if I could find maybe a GS to rent but I'm open to anything.

If you own a bike and are looking to make some cash by renting it out I'm open to that too.

I'll be there July 30th to June 8th.
I'm looking for exactly this, but on Kauai. I've called pretty much everywhere and it's looking grim. Will be there August 4-11. Any leads? this would make the trip for me, surely..
burlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #573
mrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmason71 View Post
......unless someone has some cool trails they can show me. ...
I'll be there July 30th to June 8th.
Go to Youtube and search for "Accidental Broadcast". Lots of off - road Maui videos.

Here's a few of AB's good ones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ki3r...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38l2u...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN-sL...e_gdata_player

mrider screwed with this post 07-25-2012 at 10:16 PM
mrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #574
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

460ish Days between Rides!

Haven't seen much in the way of actual riding on this thread of late so some 14 months after the last time I rode I figured I'd better go home and take some pics, all rather poor quality... I've been working overseas, traveling with the family and for work, riding my mountainbikes, stand up paddle boarding, and drooling over wheeled european exotica that is generally out of reach if I want to maintain a marriage (the KTM Freeride and OSSA Explorer come to mind).

I got in on Saturday and called a friend about Sunday's ride they were headed "Up the Coast" and would pick me up on the way. Five KTMs (1 x 150XC, 2 x 200XCWs, 2 x 300XCs), a GasGas EC250, and a Honda CR250 are ready to hit the single track it'd rained the night before so it ought to be fun. The trusty '11 200XCW with 19.1 hours on the meter works as well as I remember though it took me 2/3s of the ride to get used to modulating a clutch again and by that time my forearms were fried.

Waiting.

Falling.

Climbing.

Righting.

Climbing some more.

Being off of a bike this long isn't the best way to maintain your skills base, I got brutalized by a couple of big logs, a tree or two, and some slippery hill climbs, OTOH hopping on a bike reminded me of how much I miss it. Gotta come back in December and do it again!
Old 08-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #575
sfront
Chaos in Motion

Oddometer: 950
Glad to see you back in the saddle!

STEVE

So what if it was short....I still had a great time!!!
sfront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #576
uxc
adventure nerd

Oddometer: 1,340
Oahu / Kuaui in November

Aloha, Hawaii!

I will be coming down for a visit this November, spending a week on Oahu, then a week on Kuaui. I found a Triumph Bonneville to rent from "Cruzin Hawaii" ( http://www.cruzinhawaii.com/bike-tri...onneville.html ), and Big Kahuna also has BMWs ( http://www.bigkahunarentals.com/ ) but it looks like the only operation on Kuaui is Harley ( http://www.kauaiharley-davidson.com/ ).

Does anybody know if it would be feasible to rent a bike on Oahu and transport it to Kuaui and back? I wish the InterIsland Superferry was running. That would make life so much easier.

Also, if anyone has experience with Big Kahuna or Cruzin Hawaii, or other places on Oahu or Kuaui, it would be appreciated.

Or, if you live on Kuaui and would like to rent me your bike in exchange for $ and sweet photos of your bike all over the island, let me know!

Thanks in Advance!
UXC (Rick)
uxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #577
stan.riner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
We ship bikes inter-island for the various trail races. I doubt it would be very economical due to the transit time. I dropped off my bike on Monday in Honolulu and was able to get it on Friday in Kauai. You're going to be renting it the whole time. Also, you'll have to have a pallet or crate. You can also use a G-van. We usually put three dirt bikes in one of those. I've heard you can do two street bikes.

Regarding rentals in general, my wife works at Montgomery Motorsports on Oahu (dba Cyclesports, the Suzuki dealer) and they rent Harleys. I told them about you guys wanting adventure style bikes but I guess there's just not enough demand to make it worth while.
stan.riner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #578
uxc
adventure nerd

Oddometer: 1,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan.riner View Post
We ship bikes inter-island for the various trail races. I doubt it would be very economical due to the transit time. I dropped off my bike on Monday in Honolulu and was able to get it on Friday in Kauai. You're going to be renting it the whole time. Also, you'll have to have a pallet or crate. You can also use a G-van. We usually put three dirt bikes in one of those. I've heard you can do two street bikes.

Regarding rentals in general, my wife works at Montgomery Motorsports on Oahu (dba Cyclesports, the Suzuki dealer) and they rent Harleys. I told them about you guys wanting adventure style bikes but I guess there's just not enough demand to make it worth while.
Thanks for the info! Sounds like I should stick with a Harley on Kuaui. I was imagining a roll-on roll-off cargo boat that might make daily trips, but I guess that's not how it works. As long as it has 2 wheels, I'll be happy.
uxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #579
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

Oddometer: 749
Hey y'all!

Me and a buddy of mine will be attending a conference on the Big Island in December!
After that we are planning to hop over to Maui and stay there for a week. My buddy is gonna take a kite-surfing course and I'm planning to do some hiking and relaxing.
I'd also LOVE to rent a bike for a day or so and try the roads!
I've already checked the rentals (and parts of this thread) and know that there's Harleys and one V-Strom..
I'd prefer the Strom TBH, but I'd alos kinda like to test the nightrod. Hm..
Anyway.

Will it be a problem to rent a bike with my Swiss licence? Do I need anything special (credit card, sure)?

I'll be riding roads only - if any of you is wiling to share his wisdom and suggest a must-do day trip, I'd be more than happy!!
Also, if anyone wants to meet up or join for a ride while I'm there (14. - 20. December), bring it on!
Looking forward to hearing from you and maybe meeting you!

Cheers and all the best from the Swiss Alps!

AllBlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #580
hiADV
Island Explorer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southest US Thumper View Post
It's being put on by The Big Island Dual Sport Assn, a rather loosely knit gathering of folks that like all things dirtbike. Don't be surprised if you don't get timely responses from them, it's the Big Island....

Link Here: http://bidsa.mk200.com/
Hey Thumper, are you on the Big Island? The wifey and I are moving to Kona next month and shipping our bikes over. This ride sounds stellar! Guess I need to email the BIDSA guys to get in on this?
hiADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:43 PM   #581
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiADV View Post
Hey Thumper, are you on the Big Island? The wifey and I are moving to Kona next month and shipping our bikes over. This ride sounds stellar! Guess I need to email the BIDSA guys to get in on this?
Yes and No, I'm currently working in Germany but have plans to be at the DS Ride.

Big Isle is home for me, what kinda bikes are you guys bringing? The terrain is very diverse but your most bang will be with a smaller bike (plated 200-300 2 Stroke or 4 Stroke) if you want to see real trails. A 400 plus DS will keep you actively engaged with tons of opportunity if that's your choice.

Send BIDSA a note, if you don't get a response PM me.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:08 AM   #582
hiADV
Island Explorer

Quote:
Yes and No, I'm currently working in Germany but have plans to be at the DS Ride.

Big Isle is home for me, what kinda bikes are you guys bringing? The terrain is very diverse but your most bang will be with a smaller bike (plated 200-300 2 Stroke or 4 Stroke) if you want to see real trails. A 400 plus DS will keep you actively engaged with tons of opportunity if that's your choice.

Send BIDSA a note, if you don't get a response PM me.
I'm bringing a TW200, KLX250S, DR650 and KLR650 just to make sure all the bases are covered. I'll be on the island in two weeks but the bikes aren't due to arrive until the first week of September. I'm super stoked to get over there and start riding. I was there a few months back and really wishin I had my bikes with me.

I'll drop those guys a line and see if I can get something worked out. I'm sure I'll meet ya there sometime soon. Safe travels.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:11 AM   #583
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:
I'm bringing a TW200, KLX250S, DR650 and KLR650 just to make sure all the bases are covered. I'll be on the island in two weeks but the bikes aren't due to arrive until the first week of September. I'm super stoked to get over there and start riding. I was there a few months back and really wishin I had my bikes with me.

I'll drop those guys a line and see if I can get something worked out. I'm sure I'll meet ya there sometime soon. Safe travels.
That should do it for starters. It'd be possible to do a link up ride for Nov, meet down towards south point or closer to Kona then ride the rest of the loop. Let me know if you don't get any feedback.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #584
hiADV
Island Explorer

Quote:
That should do it for starters. It'd be possible to do a link up ride for Nov, meet down towards south point or closer to Kona then ride the rest of the loop. Let me know if you don't get any feedback.
Right on, I'd love to meet up and get in some seat time. I emailed those guys but no response yet... I do understand island time so no real surprise there. The bikes should be there early November. Thanks for helping out, I look forward to meeting and riding with all you guys!
Old 10-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #585
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Right on, I'd love to meet up and get in some seat time. I emailed those guys but no response yet... I do understand island time so no real surprise there. The bikes should be there early November. Thanks for helping out, I look forward to meeting and riding with all you guys!
I've asked a friend to contact/post/PM you in regards to the DS Ride, if nothing else, Big Island Power Sports is at 961-3033, anybody there should know da scoop.