Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2012, 04:16 AM   #16
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Video games, Netflix, reading, comic books, study, make electronic music.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:13 AM   #17
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,937
Restore an old bike. Maybe track down another model like your first one. Me, I like to reload and go shooting, then reload some more and repeat. Dont want to reload? try .22's. Dont like guns? Well....I can't relate. If I couldn't ride and shoot, I would be in your shoes. I know, I just had a brain fart! Start a thread on ADV asking people what their other non- riding, non-motorcycle related hobbies are. We're all on this site because we love to ride. outside of that, we are a very diverse group. It may be intresting if enough folks chime in. Oh, and another thing, volunteer in your community. There is always something that needs to be done. Somewhere, for someone. I pick up trash on state land.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:18 AM   #18
sleazy rider
Squidly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Don't know... The last time my Doctor told me "No riding for 6 weeks"

I told her: "You can kill me now... That is NOT going to happen"
This. Three weeks after rotator cuff repair, I rode to all my PT appointments. Two weeks after arthroscopy on my knee, I was back on two wheels. In the short down time I did have, I planned more trips to take and did my exercises at home.
--Tom IBA #41627
Blog
sleazy rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #19
Doorguy1979 OP
Dreamridin'

Oddometer: 626
Great suggestions, don't stop now, loving it.

The KLR is all ready to go, whenever I can go, did a bunch of neglected maintenance. Been working little at a time on an ole 83 Suzuki GS850 that my GF's grandfather bought new in 83, 75,000 miles later it's something to do.
Hell even had a friend deliver a barn fresh Sachs pedal moped for me to tinker on. Unfortunately the accident I was in also destroyed/damages/disappeared alot of tools(it was my work truck) including crushing my Lincoln SP135 welder and oxy/acetylene setup . That puts quite the damper on metal work.

I do know that my old bicycle is getting reworked so I can at least me mobile.

08 KLR 650
82 Suzuki GS850
7? Sachs Moped Basket Case
Doorguy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:05 PM   #20
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
make beer. Grow grapes and make wine.
Drink fruits of my labor.
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #21
Sir Not Appearing
That's no ordinary rabbit

Oddometer: 1,101
I second the R/C option. Cars, trucks, planes….whatever floats your boat. However, the really scale stuff can be a time killer and would be great for your current situation. The scale 4x4 stuff is really cool and is really rewarding when you finish it up. The stuff can get expensive, but as always there are many “projects” on Ebay and Craigslist that people sell cheap. Just make sure it is "hobby grade" stuff that can be fixed with available replacement parts.

Also, if you like to tinker, there are few sites better than http://www.instructables.com . There are many cheap projects that involve recycling/repurposing, but there are also some higher-dollar projects depending on what you want to build or your budget. Great way to keep your hands busy. I’m building a modified version of a vacuum-forming machine that I found on there for use in my shop class. Lots of fun stuff.

Oh, and as far as Netflix goes, if you haven't watched the "Breaking Bad" series do yourself a favor and give it a shot. I thought the premise was dumb when I read about it and thought everyone was blowing it out of proportion....then I gave it a chance and I'm hooked! I'm working on season 3 now.
2003 Ford Focus SVT

Sir Not Appearing screwed with this post 07-25-2012 at 03:16 PM
Sir Not Appearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #22
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleazy rider View Post
This. Three weeks after rotator cuff repair, I rode to all my PT appointments. Two weeks after arthroscopy on my knee, I was back on two wheels. In the short down time I did have, I planned more trips to take and did my exercises at home.

3 days after surgery for my rotator cuff and bone spurs, I started riding. Pretty damn stiff and sore though. 2 weeks in, I did 260 miles or so with my wife on the back of my CBR900RR. It didn't start hurting until about 10 miles from home. I ain't the smartest kid on the block, that's for sure.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #23
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,633
During the few times I can't ride in the winter months I keep myself busy brewing beer and working on my bikes.
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #24
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
I found the end of the Internet when had the hardware removed from my leg from my last crash.
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #25
Doorguy1979 OP
Dreamridin'

Oddometer: 626
As of lately, I have been doing alot of research, planning, design on a large RV conversion project I've been thinking about for a couple years. Looking pretty good, when I figure out how I'll post a screenshot or two.

Getting familiar with Google SketchUp, liking it.

08 KLR 650
82 Suzuki GS850
7? Sachs Moped Basket Case
Doorguy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:05 AM   #26
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
Lots of good stuff .

All I have to add is ham radio .

The google sketch up is a good time killer , Ive designed a bunch of crap in it killing tons of time .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:44 AM   #27
Vulfy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
Craigs List, looking at different bike listings.
I seem to change my bike every 2 years or so.
Loved all of my babies, but I just can not commit.
Vulfy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:08 AM   #28
DrLewall
Banned

Oddometer: 32,121
At least you can get up and move around..the longest I was ever confined was 6 months IN BED and that really, REALLY SUCKED!!!!! Nothing to do but sleep and watch soaps

But since you can get up and move around, how abt restoring old kids bicycles? Get someone to drive you around scrounging for old bikes, alleys, recycle centers etc, and restore them..then donate them to womens shelters or homeless shelters...you will be amazed at how much your self worth will increase.

Good luck!
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #29
fonztheyeti
king of all i survey

Oddometer: 777
surf and whack.

Originally Posted by Kommando
People that want to try to dictate my life to me can suck it.
fonztheyeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:17 AM   #30
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Not Appearing View Post
I second the R/C option. Cars, trucks, planes….whatever floats your boat. However, the really scale stuff can be a time killer and would be great for your current situation. The scale 4x4 stuff is really cool and is really rewarding when you finish it up. The stuff can get expensive, but as always there are many “projects” on Ebay and Craigslist that people sell cheap. Just make sure it is "hobby grade" stuff that can be fixed with available replacement parts.

Also, if you like to tinker, there are few sites better than http://www.instructables.com . There are many cheap projects that involve recycling/repurposing, but there are also some higher-dollar projects depending on what you want to build or your budget. Great way to keep your hands busy. I’m building a modified version of a vacuum-forming machine that I found on there for use in my shop class. Lots of fun stuff.

Oh, and as far as Netflix goes, if you haven't watched the "Breaking Bad" series do yourself a favor and give it a shot. I thought the premise was dumb when I read about it and thought everyone was blowing it out of proportion....then I gave it a chance and I'm hooked! I'm working on season 3 now.
Watch that RC planes and cars stuff. My buddy started doing it several years ago, He's got over 50 planes now. And his wife just left him because of it. Really, 100% serious.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote