ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2012, 11:02 PM   #1861
XB12R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,092
My Monday ride

I set out Monday about noon to find a forgotten grave site near Bonny Crossing. It took a while but I found it. I love searching for points of interest.

On the way home I stopped at the Friend School. It looked like an ADV ass hat had been there before, wonder who that could have been.

I like to visit pioneer grave yards, this one is in Kingsley, near Friend. I read every marker and thought about their lives and challenges. So many were very young when they died. So much history, so much to appreciate.

I got back to The Dalles around 6:00 traded the WR for the GS and rode 90 miles North to my place in Zillah.

XB12R screwed with this post 07-23-2012 at 11:12 PM
XB12R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #1862
Squishy
Positively charged

Oddometer: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by XB12R View Post
I like to visit pioneer grave yards, this one is in Kingsley, near Friend. I read every marker and thought about their lives and challenges. So many were very young when they died. So much history, so much to appreciate.

I got back to The Dalles around 6:00 traded the WR for the GS and rode 90 miles North to my place in Zillah.
Yeah i find it interesting too. This headstone looks familiar, at the Lonepine cemetary sth of Wamic? I stopped in there 1 day, spent hours reading them all. A lot of hardships on there journey across the country! I often marvel when i'm camping on the Barlow, how the pioneers would have done it. Like how they used to take the wagon wheels off at days end, when by a river, & soak them in the river overnight to tighten the wood to the steel bands. It's so easy to load the bike each morning & hit the starter!

"Creative use of what we have is part of the point of motorcycling"- Kevin Smith/Motorcyclist Magazine.
Squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #1863
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,593
Parking in Hood River

I'd heard rumors that motorcycles could park anywhere in Hood River and not get ticketed. We have spots that are labeled for motorcycles that are free. Today, while getting ready to leave work the parking nazi happen to be walking by so I asked him. And hell yea! parking is free for motorcycles outside the designated motorcycle parking spots. This is something that has never been publicized and I'm pretty sure not too many riders know about.

So if your in town visiting don't worry about feeding that meter. Just another reason to ride to Hood River I guess.

Oh, and parked next to me was fellow inmate TwindDuro who was passing through on his way home from a nice little adventure. Nice meeting you and thanks for the chat. Safe travels today getting home. Tried talking him into coming back down for TP's party.

Ladukebob screwed with this post 07-24-2012 at 04:03 PM
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #1864
Red0ktober
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Yes! I had overheard that while browsing through 2nd Wind Sports downtown. Nice to have it verified. I still usually park in the motorcycle area, but it's nice to know they're all fair game.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #1865
Squishy
Positively charged

Specific bike parks.

Many countries have dedicated bike parking (usually near the front of the stores), at many malls, main streets & grocery stores. It's about time America adopted that attitude, i've often thought of approaching the state about it...especially as more & more bikes are being used for commuting, & will continue to as fuel prices match that of other countries.

"Creative use of what we have is part of the point of motorcycling"- Kevin Smith/Motorcyclist Magazine.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #1866
XB12R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy View Post
Yeah i find it interesting too. This headstone looks familiar, at the Lonepine cemetary sth of Wamic? I stopped in there 1 day, spent hours reading them all. A lot of hardships on there journey across the country! I often marvel when i'm camping on the Barlow, how the pioneers would have done it. Like how they used to take the wagon wheels off at days end, when by a river, & soak them in the river overnight to tighten the wood to the steel bands. It's so easy to load the bike each morning & hit the starter!
No, this one is on Hix Road near Friend. It's the Kingsley Catholic Cemetery. If you need the GPS location, let me know.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:15 AM   #1867
Squishy
Positively charged

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB12R View Post
No, this one is on Hix Road near Friend. It's the Kingsley Catholic Cemetery. If you need the GPS location, let me know.
I'm sure the hood guys know (we were there at the church/school a few weeks back), why don't you post them anyway.

Thanks, Neil.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:24 AM   #1868
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Those old cemeteries can be pretty interesting. Years ago a couple of us were exploring the old Dufer cemetery and we stumbled upon two large families that all died on the same day back in the late 1800's. We were puzzled as to what could have happened to take the lives of 10-12 people on the same day. Fire? Gun fight? Multi covered wagon pile up on the Old Dufer Rd.? It's also interesting to read at what ages people died back then. A lot of kids died young, which I guessing was usually some form of sickness. And if they did make it out of childhood, adulthood didn't last very long for some ether.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:32 AM   #1869
Squishy
Positively charged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladukebob View Post
Those old cemeteries can be pretty interesting. Years ago a couple of us were exploring the old Dufer cemetery and we stumbled upon two large families that all died on the same day back in the late 1800's. We were puzzled as to what could have happened to take the lives of 10-12 people on the same day. Fire? Gun fight? Multi covered wagon pile up on the Old Dufer Rd.? It's also interesting to read at what ages people died back then. A lot of kids died young, which I guessing was usually some form of sickness. And if they did make it out of childhood, adulthood didn't last very long for some ether.
The books that i've read, talk of river crossing drownings with the youngins, copper pot cooking hampered alot of them also, the odd gun fight on the Barlow, & child birth complications...not to mention just general sickness from the winter travels.

FUCK we have it good!!

Old 07-26-2012, 01:32 AM   #1870
TwinDuro
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Wandering through the streets of Hood River (for the first time in my life BTW), I decided I needed to take a look at the map and have a drink of water, and look who I ran into:

It was great to meet and talk with you ladukebob and I appreciate the invite to TP's party! The evil clutches of work might not let me out of their grasp this weekend, but if something changes...

I _really_ enjoyed the Hood River area and am definitely planning on coming back sooner rather then later. I had a great extended weekend adventure aboard my XT225 starting in Tacoma, going down the coast, cutting over to Colton, heading up to Hood river, eventually ending up in Randle and then back to Tacoma. 750 miles aboard the XT225 was a hoot, and I can't wait to do it again. The 225 was great fun on Lolo Pass too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladukebob View Post
I'd heard rumors that motorcycles could park anywhere in Hood River and not get ticketed. We have spots that are labeled for motorcycles that are free. Today, while getting ready to leave work the parking nazi happen to be walking by so I asked him. And hell yea! parking is free for motorcycles outside the designated motorcycle parking spots. This is something that has never been publicized and I'm pretty sure not too many riders know about.

So if your in town visiting don't worry about feeding that meter. Just another reason to ride to Hood River I guess.

Oh, and parked next to me was fellow inmate TwindDuro who was passing through on his way home from a nice little adventure. Nice meeting you and thanks for the chat. Safe travels today getting home. Tried talking him into coming back down for TP's party.

TwinDuro screwed with this post 07-26-2012 at 01:40 AM
TwinDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:56 AM   #1871
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer: 1,877
Hod rats

Hey hoodies, glad to see some ride pics! Scott, Jesse and I are half way thru the ubdr. Sorry cant post pics from this crappy I phone! We are rockin. Have fun. See ya soon

Just cause I'm wrong, don't make you right / Needtobreathe
Our OBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712724
Our UTBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816500
asrvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:17 AM   #1872
Squishy
Positively charged

Quote:
Originally Posted by asrvivor View Post
Hey hoodies, glad to see some ride pics! Scott, Jesse and I are half way thru the ubdr. Sorry cant post pics from this crappy I phone! We are rockin. Have fun. See ya soon
Very cool, have fun, hope you are taking heaps of photos for your RR. Which Scott? Scott PDX?

Old 07-26-2012, 10:49 PM   #1873
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

Oddometer: 1,384
Got a little riding in this afternoon!

Craig McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:57 PM   #1874
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig McCurdy View Post

The cool little trail up to Black LK

Shelly and I saw you two coming back down Dee Hwy tonight.
We were in a silver Dakota cage.
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:28 AM   #1875
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig McCurdy View Post
Looks like the Gate Cr. trail? If we're ever up there together I show you where the hidden irrigation screen is that I helped design and install