User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #15841
danpfister
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Anyone? TKC80 question....

I did some research... and I want some continental TKC80s on my 2012 scram. Can anyone here confirm I can rock a 110 in the front and a 150 in the back? Both fenders are already removed... but worried about spacing. Am I good? Also... need a new exhaust. Arrow seems like a good bet. You guys happy with yours?

Thanks in advance and I'll get some pix up this weekend!
danpfister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #15842
Alfred
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I have made the most of our belated summer to do a bit of tweaking:

AI gone
Airbox gone
Rejet to 42 pilot and 145 main jets
Bitubo WMEs at the back and Bitubo linear fork springs at the front.
Rear mudguard gone

The difference is impressive, especially the noise, I rode past a high-sided lorry and was nearly deafened by the sound I was making.

Most of all I really enjoyed the process of working on the bike, so I think I will continue by putting on a 17t front sprocket.

I have also become increasingly interested in the Mass Mojave exhaust, is this a more open exhaust than the TORS? I have seen mention that they are E-marked, does this mean it will pass through the new stricter MOT guidelines?
Alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #15843
ColoradoKevin
Colorado Scrambler

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by twolf View Post
+1 on the KnL Footpegs. They work nicely with a flat black rattle can job too.

http://twolf.zenfolio.com/p823248632#h2abef676
I just put the same set of foot pegs on my Scrambler today. After 3 years and just over 30,000 miles of riding, I dropped the bike for the first time. Less than ten minutes later I dropped it again. I managed to break the left foot peg (which is the reason for the upgrade), bend the clutch lever and trash both Tiger hand guards. Considering how rocky the trail was I think I was lucky—the damage could have been much worse! I did remember reading, somewhere in this thread, how the passenger foot peg can be swapped onto the front in case of "breakage". That worked great, so thanks to whoever posted it!

I'd also like to thank Shercoman for welding the crack on my frame (unrelated to the above incident). I've been fortunate to meet several ADVer's and all of them have been "good people". Also, we're trying to organize a Colorado Scrambler owners ride. If you're interested please PM one or both of us…
ColoradoKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #15844
ColoradoKevin
Colorado Scrambler

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by twolf View Post
+1 on the KnL Footpegs. They work nicely with a flat black rattle can job too.

http://twolf.zenfolio.com/p823248632#h2abef676
Just looked closer at your pics and they do look better in black. The local shop where I purchased them offered to powder coat them but hitting them with the rattle can is cheaper. Plus, I can touch up the bash plate while I'm at it.
ColoradoKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #15845
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,528
Footpegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rderman View Post
I like the looks of these pegs, but not sure if the 3/4" drop is a good idea. I scrape the stock-height pegs too often as is. Is there a standard height version? Do they still "give" up if you were to scrape one while cornering?

The KnL footpegs use the oem springs and pivot pins, they will fold up like the stock pegs, pretty much at a 45 degree angle. Last I knew there was no standard height option but you might want to verify that as I was specifically looking for lowered and could have missed other choices.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:13 AM   #15846
optical
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
I don't believe the "bottom" of the peg is any lower. Its just that the height of the peg is shorter from bottom to top than the OEM pegs, so they have a lowering effect.

I picked them up as well and they are nice. Now, to get some spacers for the right foot bracket to rid myself of elvis legs.
optical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:52 AM   #15847
RMAK
The Magnanimous

Oddometer: 297
No technical talk to contribute. Just hate to see the lights out on the Scrambler thread when I check in. Here's a nicely done Scram sent to me by my buddy Henry (Henry II here):
RMAK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #15848
Motoblag
Replacing skill with will

Oddometer: 383
Anyone got good ideas for skid plate bolts? The cheesy hex jobbers that came stock always seize and round out as you're trying to remove the danged thing. No amount of anti-seize stops them from corroding in place.

I'm going to say screw it and put in regular headed bolts and call it a day, unless other folks have better ideas. Usually anti-seize or blue Loctite works but both have failed for this application.
Motoblag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:52 PM   #15849
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Question Side Stand?

Got out for some back road riding with a buddy today. He borrowed my '08 Scrambler for a while last year while trying to decide what to buy, ended up with a pretty white over red '06. When we stopped for some lunch it was very apparent that his bike seemed to stand up 'normal' on the side stand while mine (and the other Scramblers that I am familiar with) leans rather drastically. I had always attributed this to Triumph using the same stand as on the Bonny, despite the longer Scrambler shocks, now I am wondering about that. So ... Scrambler owners who still have stock length shocks, does your bike lean drastacally on the side stand?

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Old 07-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #15850
MightyChosen1
I wanna be sedated

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
Got out for some back road riding with a buddy today. He borrowed my '08 Scrambler for a while last year while trying to decide what to buy, ended up with a pretty white over red '06. When we stopped for some lunch it was very apparent that his bike seemed to stand up 'normal' on the side stand while mine (and the other Scramblers that I am familiar with) leans rather drastically. I had always attributed this to Triumph using the same stand as on the Bonny, despite the longer Scrambler shocks, now I am wondering about that. So ... Scrambler owners who still have stock length shocks, does your bike lean drastacally on the side stand?

Bruce

Yep, mine has the lean. I noticed a couple months ago it was getting worse and found the kickstand bolt had loosened up and was about to fall out. Thats when I decided to check all the bolts on my bike and found that the front sprocket was also loose as well.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #15851
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyChosen1 View Post
Yep, mine has the lean. I noticed a couple months ago it was getting worse and found the kickstand bolt had loosened up and was about to fall out. Thats when I decided to check all the bolts on my bike and found that the front sprocket was also loose as well.

Thanks, I haven't noticed that mine was getting worse but I miss a lot more than I used to so I better check that bolt!

Bruce
Old 07-26-2012, 07:09 AM   #15852
DoubleCafe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMAK View Post
No technical talk to contribute. Just hate to see the lights out on the Scrambler thread when I check in. Here's a nicely done Scram sent to me by my buddy Henry (Henry II here):
I'm diggin the brown leather seat, the Tuxedo Tank and the MAS aluminum fender!
1982 Montesa Cota 349
DoubleCafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #15853
Steve SA
Adv Wannabe

Oddometer: 54
Parys - De Aar ADV Rally 2012

Did 1000km of dirt riding 2 weeks ago on the annual "Parys-De Aar Rally" in South Africa. What a blast!

Hope you don't mind me sharing a few pics.

Steve SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:42 PM   #15854
gseur
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258

Nice pics!

I can't wait about getting mine. Till about 10 days to wait. Aaaarrrgggghhhh
gseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #15855
b0rderman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128