Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 51 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #1396
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,514
Picked this up Wednesday night:

E-Flite Carbon Cub, brushless 180, flaps, lights. I installed "bush tires" for better takeoff/landing on the asphalt here. Haven't flown it yet. I bought it from a hobby shop owner. 1st batch had faulty servos. They had a new "brick" with it and I installed that. Has a few small dents on the wings but overall not bad. And I got a nice discount

DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:56 PM   #1397
gugnheim
On the DL...

Oddometer: 164
Hey guys, need a suggestion. I don't do R/C(yet, anyway!) but my brother in law mentioned looking for a first time plane kit for him and his 7 year old boy to build over the next few months together. It's the young one's b-day coming up and I want to get them something. He has no R/C experience, but is a good modeler. I'm of course open to any ready to fly options that aren't going to be left on a shelf in a few months after they get better. I realize a lot of this is open ended, but have no idea where to start.
Thanks
Ryan

gugnheim screwed with this post 07-27-2012 at 05:56 PM Reason: spelling
gugnheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #1398
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,054
You might call me a bit of a nut..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C_3i...8&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jza02...feature=relmfu

Been working on another plane for a few months now, don't have the spark to continue it though. All of my gear is old and worn out, a bit abused too. My transmitter I would put in a backpack wrapped in a t-shirt and go hike out to a hill to slope. Guess the water bottles were a bit too sturdy so a few switches are busted. Also was flying one time when a torrential downpour came out of nowhere. Took me about 30 seconds to land and I had to run home real quick. The damage was done though, transmitters light and trims are non functional now, well the trims work somewhat at least...

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #1399
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gugnheim View Post
Hey guys, need a suggestion. I don't do R/C(yet, anyway!) but my brother in law mentioned looking for a first time plane kit for him and his 7 year old boy to build over the next few months together. It's the young one's b-day coming up and I want to get them something. He has no R/C experience, but is a good modeler. I'm of course open to any ready to fly options that aren't going to be left on a shelf in a few months after they get better. I realize a lot of this is open ended, but have no idea where to start.
Thanks
Ryan
There are a few options out there. If they want to build the airplane they might consider a Multiplex Easy Star ARF, then purchasing the equipment separately to put into the airplane as they build it.

I always recommend sticking with the stock electric Permax 400 motor and propeller, especially if they are a beginner. It's a great combination that makes it difficult to get into trouble with the throttle. Of course I also recommend HS81 servos (or similar sized, really an HS55 is fine, or even a HobbyKing HXT900, though the HXT's won't fit into the servo pockets snug, you will have to glue them in on one side) with a decent beginner transmitter. Hitec RCD makes some good transmitters (I always recommend Hitec RCD, they are a local company to me and have the customer support to back their products) as well as Spektrum- a Hitec Optic 6 Sport, Spektrum Dx6i, or any one of those transmitters I recommend.

Speed controllers vary, you will need a brushed one, I'll recommend a 20 amp with LiPo compatibility and at least a 2 amp BEC. Then of course a 2200-3000mah 2 cell 20C lipo pack for those long flight times.

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
Old 07-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #1400
Buzzbomber
Not Dr. Who...

Oddometer: 1,226
Quote:
Aw man, I haven't seen one of those in FOREVER! Wow, I had one of those; that brings back some memories! I thought it was the awesomest r/c ever......then I got a Frog for Christmas and forgot about the 250R...
Buzzbomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:23 PM   #1401
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by gugnheim View Post
Thanks
Ryan
Man, if you're new to this stuff, and you're going to try anything close to what XpressCS is recomending you might want to read this a couple of times. http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31071
2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:03 AM   #1402
gugnheim
On the DL...

Oddometer: 164
Thanks for both suggestions! Give me something to chew on over the weekend!
gugnheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:55 AM   #1403
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbomber View Post
Aw man, I haven't seen one of those in FOREVER! Wow, I had one of those; that brings back some memories! I thought it was the awesomest r/c ever......then I got a Frog for Christmas and forgot about the 250R...
Yeah, it's pretty sweet. Unfortunately something inside of the proprietary circuit board is fried, so I need to dig into it eventually and fix it. The steering works, but something won't drive the motor, which works fine.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #1404
DakarNick
Swabee

Quote:
Originally Posted by XpressCS View Post
You might call me a bit of a nut..

I like my EPP Twisted Hobbys Crack Yak. Id' like to try a DW plane. More in my album (click picture).

Old 07-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #1405
DakarNick
Swabee

I had my mind set on the RC Factory SBach that I posted a few pages back but I think I'll get this one instead.

http://twistedhobbys.com/Telink-48-E...0sc-Yellow.htm

Telink 48" Extra 330SC

Embed is screwing with me...
http://youtu.be/KlU6hktKeV0

Old 07-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #1406
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick View Post
I like my EPP Twisted Hobbys Crack Yak. Id' like to try a DW plane. More in my album (click picture).

I've pretty much only flown DW Foamies, after my first foamy which was a Charger Yak thing.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:22 AM   #1407
arraflipper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
ARF plane

This fellow has some pretty good prices on planes, I got another Surfer from him. It was the old style so there is more room inside. You can get one without anything or get one for $110 with everything you need. The place is called Ready Made RC

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...k6125v1320d440
arraflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:33 AM   #1408
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,216
Did a little building this weekend....too dang hot for anything else.

The Panther is my old battle hardned plane from a few pages ago....I really like this thing....the F4 just got its radio gear this weekend.

These are two of the little 800mm FMS planes from Banana hobby....the detail on these planes is just amazing. I already had the little sky raider and liked it so much I bought these two....so far I am very impressed with the FMS line of planes...the need a little more fiddling to get them right then like a Park Zone or something, but they fly so nice and the detail just blows them away.

I forgot the pic of the Pioneer.

FPGT72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:57 AM   #1409
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,216
I wanted to toss this out there as it is one heck of a deal. I was shopping for some parts and just figured eh..why not take a look.

This is one of the Re-Re's of the original SRB the Rough rider. it just has the silver body. If anyone knows what these go for in hobby shops you know how good a deal this is.

These buggies, and the sand scorcher are going back into the vault so if you want one this may be your last chance. The LHS (that I try to give my business to) wanted to sell the SS to me for over $400....I got it shipped to my door from Tower for 260...this shipped is 197...no shipping costs on any of them...and I could have gotten an extra 50 off by using a tamiya promo code I did not know about....bummer.

Just wanted to toss this out here for this classic buggy.

I just checked UPS and the SS is on the truck and headed to my house.....I get a toy before I go to the urologist MOON RIVER.
FPGT72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #1410
DakarNick
Swabee

Here is my newest acquisition. It is a Dynamics Foamy DF-11 (MD-11) in FED FX (Fed Ex play on words) trim. It is a 3-channel.

It is 2mm Depron, 17" span, 20" length, 20 grams AUW, and is powered by a Parkzone Vapor "Brick" (receiver, ESC, and two micro linear servos in one board) and an E-Flite Blade mCPX tail motor (6mm) and pusher prop and is all powered by a Thunder Power 160mAh 1S lipo.

It's a pretty nice kit! Comes with laser cut foam, laser cut ply standoffs and control horns, carbon control rods, music wire for pushrods, heat shrink, and water-transfer graphics for only $25.

Mine was 5 days late Damn USPS...

But I got her done and will hopefully maiden tonight!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: