Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #4771
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,761
[QUOTE=rickypanecatyl;19231826]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakrj View Post
I apologize for my contentiousness all! I lost heart for a moment but I'll try to be better now!
Apology graciously accepted.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #4772
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
...but not away from the 690 thread I hope!
Just try to get rid of me.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #4773
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,081

I have been thinking about getting a 690, but the last few pages have me a little leary. I do appreciate all the info you guys are sharing.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #4774
dunefreak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkey Cat View Post
I have been thinking about getting a 690, but the last few pages have me a little leary. I do appreciate all the info you guys are sharing.
^ which is exactly why I asked those with the higher mileage bikes to post up their experiences. I was pretty leery of pulling the trigger on a new 690 as well. Especially coming from a bulletproof and very simple designed XR650L. There are plenty of 690's out there with lots of miles that have had no issues. I wouldn't sweat it. If you research known problems for any bike, you will likely find problems with them all. They all have their own horror stories and those mega-threads will make those models sound unreliable as well. I think many problems that arise from some bikes is their own owners doing. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #4775
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 1,037
My 2010 has 6,000 trouble free miles. I use it for both single track enduro trails, and crossing New Mexico to get to Colorado for riding old jeep trails, and mountain passes. I couldn't ask for a more capable bike.

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
wswartzwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:27 PM   #4776
touser
canned fruit

Oddometer: 358
Adcice please

I have an 08 e with 20,000k,s on it and at times when i shut down the throttle it doesn't can be a little slow to react. Only does it now and then but it can be a bit hairy comming into a corner.

i havn't had it put on a diagnostic machine as it has been faultless so far and I'm a bit concerned that someone might f#ck it up.

Also I have some rally raid tanks and was wondering does it drain from them first?

any thoughts appreciated?

dave
Old 07-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #4777
blakrj
Need to ride

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by touser View Post
I have an 08 e with 20,000k,s on it and at times when i shut down the throttle it doesn't can be a little slow to react. Only does it now and then but it can be a bit hairy comming into a corner.

i havn't had it put on a diagnostic machine as it has been faultless so far and I'm a bit concerned that someone might f#ck it up.

Also I have some rally raid tanks and was wondering does it drain from them first?

dave
No idea on the throttle, but I use my brakes for slowing for corners. Do not leave the petcocks open on the RR tanks until you have used up some fuel from the stock tank, or it'll overflow. Normally I run 100km or so before opening the taps, or wait for the reserve light to come on before opening them up.
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:06 PM   #4778
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
There are a lot of things that dealers should know, but don't. It's not a good idea to disable the clutch switch on 690 and 990 bikes. Beyond safety, there is logic in the Kehin FI which cuts all fuel to the injectors if the motor is above a certain RPM, in gear, clutch not pulled and the throttle is closed rather than use the idle map. This is done for emissions and fuel economy. Of course, if the ECU cannot determine cllutch state, the bike will die. This does not happen when the bike is cold since the FI operates in non loop-back mode (fixed mapping) and the above logic is bypassed until the motor is up to normal operating temp.
Excellent info - I didn't know that! Should be put on a sticker under the seat.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #4779
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Quote:

Like a hungover redneck seeing his wife's shinners in the morning I realized I went overboard when people started talking about DRZ's!
Old 07-28-2012, 11:59 PM   #4780
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,761
Quote:

dave
Hi Dave,

I have experienced similer thing on my 09 a few times. In my case it was due to my hand position on the throttle. I ride with two fingers on the front break which can prevent me from fully closing off the throttle due to my fingers locking on the break lever. Only happens under breaking cos your gripping the throttle harder. My bad technicque but now I'm aware I make sure I release my grip just before hauling on the anchors!!
Old 07-29-2012, 05:43 AM   #4781
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
There are a lot of things that dealers should know, but don't. It's not a good idea to disable the clutch switch on 690 and 990 bikes. Beyond safety, there is logic in the Kehin FI which cuts all fuel to the injectors if the motor is above a certain RPM, in gear, clutch not pulled and the throttle is closed rather than use the idle map. This is done for emissions and fuel economy. Of course, if the ECU cannot determine cllutch state, the bike will die. This does not happen when the bike is cold since the FI operates in non loop-back mode (fixed mapping) and the above logic is bypassed until the motor is up to normal operating temp.
I'm no expert, but if the clutch switch is disabled, the bike thinks the clutch is pulled in, hence the fact it will start in gear. So, when the bike is on the over-run, it thinks the clutch is pulled and will continue to provide fuel to keep the engine running, not cut the fuel as you say.

I'm not saying the dealer was right to do what they did, but i can see some logic to it.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:43 AM   #4782
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,447
Quote:
As someone who has an extremely expensive repair on his hands right now, and can't bear the thought of life without my 690. Get one! Miles of smiles and then some!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey View Post
None of us are exceptionally skilled riders (excepting when I'm drunk, then I'm fcking quick).
BK.RD.RNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:42 AM   #4783
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
I have an 08 e with 20,000k,s on it and at times when i shut down the throttle it doesn't can be a little slow to react.
if it's got a vacuum leak or the "carb" boot has loosened it can cause it to hang
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #4784
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechie View Post
John has delivered what he promised, a new tank kit for our 690s - rally replika look a like.
Great job John!!!
http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/...ture-evo2-kit/

I like the looks of that lower projector beam. I've got a light I use on my KLX I personally think is the best street legal beam pattern (50 watt Hi CRI FX Bi-Xenon projector) but am having a tough time mounting in on the 690. Is that mount for the light something you could sell seperate from the rally fairing? I just want something to hold my projector to the bike and my projector looks just like that lower one you have.

rickypanecatyl screwed with this post 07-29-2012 at 08:59 AM
Old 07-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #4785
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
I'm no expert, but if the clutch switch is disabled, the bike thinks the clutch is pulled in, hence the fact it will start in gear. So, when the bike is on the over-run, it thinks the clutch is pulled and will continue to provide fuel to keep the engine running, not cut the fuel as you say.

I'm not saying the dealer was right to do what they did, but i can see some logic to it.
Disanlimg the clutch switch by splicing the wires together so the bike thinks that the clutch is in all the time is nad news. The nike has a different map setting for clutch in and the bike will rum like shit if you try and ride like this...learned thos after disanling the switch on the australian rally.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote