ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
Alpha One Nine OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
A Perfect Day in the Coeur d'Alene National Forest

NoSnowBob (Bob), Edwards (Marc) and I had a fantastic ride yesterday in the Coeur d'Alene National Forest. The weather and riding conditions were perfect.
Bob camped up there Friday night so Marc and I rode up the next morning. To no surprise, our two Garmin GPS devices auto routed two completely different routes to Bob's campsite coordinates. Marcís unit had us going all the way to Kingston on I-90, heading up the CDA river road to Bumble Bee then taking the Little North Fork road back. Mine said we should go in at Wolf Lodge and take FS413 up wich makes more sense so that is what we did.

Our actual ride path. (east of CDA section)

Relaxing at the campsite before heading out.

Bob suggested checking out Monument Mountain so that is was we did.

Iím not sure if the blurry spot in the middle of this pic is a bird, a UFO or dust on my lens.

After a short rest at the intersection of 413, 259 and 2320 Marc headed up 2320 a few minutes ahead of Bob and I.
When we got to the 2320 and 800 trail fork Marc was nowhere to be found.

Here Bob looks for Marcís tire tracks but there were none. Bob and I decided to continue on up 2320 as the word of the day was UP.
After a few minutes my phone rang and it was Marc. He was now at the fork and was wondering where we are. Turns out he had pulled off to check out a warming hut a few hundred yards before the fork.

The old girl gets to rest.

Marc met up with us and we continue along 2320 until we were back at the Wolf Lodge Saddle where we had already been so we headed back to the fork and took the 800 trail.

Here Bob checks out the trail rules to make sure we are compliant.

This trail was challenging on the lumbering KLR. It was very rocky and overgrown in many places with some tight switch backs.

Is it just me or does Bob's rear rack look just a little off kilter?

Back at Bobís campsite I discovered a full 20 oz. water bottle had sprung a leak in my tail box and completely drained. Fortunately my 2008 Rand McNally Road Atlas and two Forest Service Motorized Vehicle Usage maps at the bottom of the box ended up soaking up most of the water so there was minimal loss.

As is often the case, Bob grilled up some delicious cheese burgers before Marc and I headed back to Spokane.
We decided to head out via Fernan Saddle then, to avoid I-90, ride through the tourist hell that is downtown Coeur d'Alene, Seltice Road to State Line past Cruisers where the Mini Sturgis deal was going on. I considered pulling in for a beer but I didnít want to park my filthy KLR too close to all of that polished paint and chrome.

Great ride guys.
Thanks again for the Burgers Bob.
2005 KLR650 - The KLR
2010 R1200RT - The Ultimate Touring Machine
Alpha One Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
Jeffer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Nice pics Rick. See ya turned the RED beast into the valdez tanker with that IMS tank. We rode the Barlow this weekend and I thought of yer "I spilled my coffee" video
Jeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
Alpha One Nine OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffer View Post
Nice pics Rick. See ya turned the RED beast into the valdez tanker with that IMS tank. We rode the Barlow this weekend and I thought of yer "I spilled my coffee" video

Good to hear from you Jeffer. My ribs hurt every time I think about that. Thanks again.
2005 KLR650 - The KLR
Old 07-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,256
Great pics. Sounds like you were south of Airheadbruce and I. He and I headed up from Bunco...to Spion Kop and camped up there.....I believe there are pics of my KLR out on that narrow rock trail that over looks everything.

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
Alpha One Nine OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai Rider View Post
Great pics. Sounds like you were south of Airheadbruce and I. He and I headed up from Bunco...to Spion Kop and camped up there.....I believe there are pics of my KLR out on that narrow rock trail that over looks everything.
Can't wait to see those pics. I was nervous just walking out there.
2005 KLR650 - The KLR