Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2012, 08:19 PM   #796
Renegade_Azzy
Kamen Rider

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeliot View Post
Acetone is very volatile; make sure you have plenty of ventilation when using this mixture.
yep. It will also eat through the wrong bottle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergermeister View Post
does it hurt painted surfaces?
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
Acetone is what they put in nail polish remover. In fact, the best stuff is almost all acetone. Yes, it can soften paint.

It can soften paint, but I have foudn that it is not as bad as you would think. Most older paint is hard enough for it not to notice. At least on my cars so far that has been the case. Might also be some of the wax buildup that protects, but seom of this old Chrysler paint is the only thing holding old jeep floors together.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:33 AM   #797
gn77b
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
a few from me.

instead of using graphite gaskets to seal the midpipe joint of the exhaust, use sheets cut from beer cans. stack a few until it's a slight press fit. exhaust paste never worked for me. it's very brittle and will crack in no time unless the joint is 100% rigid, which it never is.

I recently saw a video of a guy who was using masking tape to get a good grab of the oil filter in order to undo it. if it was overtightened it's a nightmare to undo it even with an oil filter wrench or even using the messy screwdriver method. never tried it but should work.

this may seem very obvious but always leave any tool that has some sort of adjustment to it on the "safest" setting. that is dremel/drill on lowest rpm, multimeter on highest voltage scale. if you remember to do it after finishing your work, do it then, you may forget to check when using it the next time. believe me, one beer too many or your mind wandering may eventually lead to you trying to measure 200+ volts with multimeter set to amps. or imagine the surprise when the 15000 rpm-capable dremel suddenly starts at max rpm while you expect it to start at 1000.

I always have a sheet of white paper glued to the bench.

the best hand cleaner I've used is laundry detergent. not the nicest on the skin but if not used too often there shouldn't be any problem.
gn77b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #798
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by gn77b View Post
I recently saw a video of a guy who was using masking tape to get a good grab of the oil filter in order to undo it. if it was overtightened it's a nightmare to undo it even with an oil filter wrench or even using the messy screwdriver method. never tried it but should work.
I use a pipe wrench. It grabs just as much as you need to move the filter, but not more. Screwdrivers weaken the filter, making it harder to get off by other means once you've failed to loosen it.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #799
gn77b
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
I use a pipe wrench. It grabs just as much as you need to move the filter, but not more. Screwdrivers weaken the filter, making it harder to get off by other means once you've failed to loosen it.

exacly, the screwdriver method which I tried once is useless. but I'm not sure there's enough access on my bike to use a big wrench.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #800
Voltar
Jr Asst Road Captain

Oddometer: 1,634
It may have never occurred to you guys, but there is this thang called an oil filter wrench....

My projects and stuff:
http://www.whiskeytangohotel.com/
Voltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #801
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltar View Post
It may have never occurred to you guys, but there is this thang called an oil filter wrench....
Yeah, but if you use one of those it isn't a shop trick, and doesn't belong in this thread.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #802
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,166
Quote:
exacly, the screwdriver method which I tried once is useless. but I'm not sure there's enough access on my bike to use a big wrench.
May not pertain to motorcycle wrenching but putting a hole in the filter, with a screwdriver of other pointy tool, to drain it before removal, works well on my big ass Ford 7.3. Forgot to do so last change and of course I dropped the filter and dumped a quart on the ground.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #803
gn77b
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltar View Post
Quote:
if it was overtightened it's a nightmare to undo it even with an oil filter wrench
yes, I know.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #804
wvboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Quote:

A small piece of sandpaper between the filter wrench and filter with the rough side toward the filter works good also.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #805
Shepfly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Cheap parts bins

Useing 1 gallon empty metal rectangular (like lacquer thinner) containers, carefully cut out one of the large sides,leaving enough material to fold over the cut edges so all sharp finger sliceing materal is not exposed. You now have a parts bin with a handel on one end. I made a wooden shelf setup for 5 bins in a row and 5 shelves high. Just have to scrouge up the containers, Dave
Shepfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:27 PM   #806
EddMc
are we there yet

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepfly View Post
Useing 1 gallon empty metal rectangular (like lacquer thinner) containers, carefully cut out one of the large sides,leaving enough material to fold over the cut edges so all sharp finger sliceing materal is not exposed. You now have a parts bin with a handel on one end. I made a wooden shelf setup for 5 bins in a row and 5 shelves high. Just have to scrouge up the containers, Dave
Or you can use old antifreeze bottles with out the worry of sharp edges.

2007 R1200GS
1997 XR400R
EddMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #807
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,898
Next time you have to thread a wire from the front of your bike back to the battery compartment, take a trick from sailors and electricians. Tie a "pennant" to the wire so that the next time, you can use it to pull through the next accessory - and another pennant.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #808
nmarkato
Making it work

Oddometer: 2
Stuck fasteners

I sometimes come across a screw that I'm having a hard time turning out and is in an area where using a torch to apply heat might damage something. (near plastic components, wires or painted surfaces) In this situation I have had good results with placing the tip of a soldering gun against the top of the fastener and letting it cook for a while.
nmarkato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:17 AM   #809
Barnun
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Carb Cheat

Not sure if anyone has tried this. I bought a bike that had been sitting and it ran poorly (got a good price because of that). it would only run with the choke half on. with 4 carbs on the bike, I thought i'd take a chance and try to cheat. nothing to lose on this really. I pulled the fuel line off. I used seafoam in the spray can with the little straw. I started the bike and let it begin to use the fuel in the carbs and incoming fuel line. I kept re filling the fuel line with seafoam (not carb cleaner) once the carbs were full of seafoam the bike died. I let it sit that way overnight. the next day I reconnected the fuel line allowing fresh gas to the carbs. the bike rolled over a couple times and fired up. It ran pretty darn good. I spiked the gas tank with seafoam and rode the bike. It worked like a champ. this same theory might work well on the kids mini bikes and 4 wheelers when spring comes around and you realize you didnt prep the gas for winter. Ethanol is a bad bad thing. The good thing about ethanol is how much energy it saves our country. it only takes 1.2 gallons of gasoline energy to make 1 gallon of ehtanol. I wish I could own a business and have the government pay me to lose money and force people to buy my product .....
'05 DL650
Barnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:40 AM   #810
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmarkato View Post
I sometimes come across a screw that I'm having a hard time turning out and is in an area where using a torch to apply heat might damage something. (near plastic components, wires or painted surfaces) In this situation I have had good results with placing the tip of a soldering gun against the top of the fastener and letting it cook for a while.
I like that, will file it away for future use.
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is online now   Reply With Quote