Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #601
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by mint julep View Post
Hi, I don't see on the Atomic moto website if you have stock of FX 39 Camo Marpat size S?
Not stocking the Camo editions?

I have a Shoei RF-1000 size Small. 56cm head.
Would the AFX FX-39 Small be good fit?

Thanks.
Dave
Hi Dave. Camo versions are here: http://www.atomic-moto.com/AFX-FX-39...amo_p_344.html

AFA sizing, is that 56cm spec your actual measurement, or the size on the Shoei? If that is your spec, you are probably a size S.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #602
boardforever
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Washing

I have an AFX FX-39, I don't have the documentation anymore, are there any special care instructions for washing the liner? Can I just throw them in the washing machine/dryer?

Thanks
Old 07-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #603
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardforever View Post
I have an AFX FX-39, I don't have the documentation anymore, are there any special care instructions for washing the liner? Can I just throw them in the washing machine/dryer?

Thanks
Hi Boardforever. I just wash them in the sink and let them air dry. I usually use garden variety anti-bacterial hand soap, but I have used dish soap too.

Hope that helps.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 07-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #604
boardforever
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Hi Boardforever. I just wash them in the sink and let them air dry. I usually use garden variety anti-bacterial hand soap, but I have used dish soap too.

Hope that helps.

BP
Yeah that helps, hand wash it is. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:02 PM   #605
mint julep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Ok, I see I had my post deleted. I guess due to competitor link I posted. No price match, I get it.

Thanks for the link. Didnt see that.

Yes, 56cm is my actual head size. Yes I wear the Shoei size Small.
Good to know which size to order now after reading they run big.

Anybody tell me if the Smith Fuel V2 goggles (medium fit I believe), would those fit in my size Small helmet?

Thanks again.
Dave
mint julep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #606
hellboy2232
n00b

Oddometer: 3
good helmet

This a a nice decent helmet. I was reading through some of this thread and was wondering if the chin curtain is out yet. That's the only thing wrong with the helmet to me. Except for the sun glasses issue with them wanting to ride up high on face. If its not out yet is there an eta? Is there another chin curtain from a different helmet that anyone uses. I do not want to wear a neck sock. Thanks.
hellboy2232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #607
Dirt Sampler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
I bought an AFX about two months ago,,after some phone calls getting the sizing issues clear I went with a large helmet with x-large cheek pads,,this worked nicely for me.

I hauled the thing to Montana, plunked it on my head and set out on the Continetal Divide Trail,,that's right,,no break-in, no nothing.. I figured if it just didn't work, I would look for something else along the way. Well,,at the end of the ride, I was still wearing the Afx.

It broke in nicely and is as comfortable as any helmet I have had,,and I usually wear Arai. I thought the buckle and chin strap might bother me, but after a couple of hours, I just didn't notice it anymore,,and it is nice for working the strap with wet gloves on.

I modified the visor (peak) so that it comes down a little lower, an may work with it some more, and it would be nice if the shield had a detent to hold it open just a little,,maybe a half inch or so, but I think I can modify things a bit and make it do that.

I really liked having the shield in the rain and hail,,and bugs. The only issue I'm still working on is the glasses wanting to ride up,,tough to ride when you're looking through the bottom part of the bifocals. I think I may have a fix for that though, I just need to get access to a sewing machine that will sew through the cheek pad...

Overall,,,a good buy. And the guys at Atomic are great to deal with....
Dirt Sampler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #608
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Sampler View Post

The only issue I'm still working on is the glasses wanting to ride up,,tough to ride when you're looking through the bottom part of the bifocals. I think I may have a fix for that though, I just need to get access to a sewing machine that will sew through the cheek pad...

Overall,,,a good buy. And the guys at Atomic are great to deal with....
+ 1 on the Atomics.

Keep us posted about the bifocals issue. I find myself pushing down on the visor to bring my glasses (I have the no line bifocals that are position sensitive) to the proper spot to see at distance.

The pads seem to hold the ear pieces too high.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #609
Whitebread117
I do what I want

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
+ 1 on the Atomics.
+2.

Recently had the silver screw that attaches the peak/shield to the left side of my fx-39 vibrate off sometime while riding home from work (been riding in this helmet for a year now). Emailed atomic moto to ask about pricing/availability on replacement parts. They not only responded quickly but gave me the distributor's part number and told me I could use that number to order it through a local shop for less than they could sell it to me with shipping charges.

As it turns out I walked out to get the mail the next day and found the screw at the end of the driveway
Whitebread117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:44 PM   #610
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
I read a bunch of posts on here and decided to try the AFX-39 helmet. I usually wear a large helmet, but after the advice here I tried a medium AFX.

When it arrived, I opened the box and hoped for the best. Well, it fit ok but it seemed a bit tight. I can deal with that, the foam will probably break in a bit, but it also seems a bit short (top to bottom and front to back). Luckily, my neighbor was looking for a helmet and he bought it from me.

I think I will order the Fly Trekker in large and see what happens.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #611
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntmo View Post
I read a bunch of posts on here and decided to try the AFX-39 helmet. I usually wear a large helmet, but after the advice here I tried a medium AFX.

When it arrived, I opened the box and hoped for the best. Well, it fit ok but it seemed a bit tight. I can deal with that, the foam will probably break in a bit, but it also seems a bit short (top to bottom and front to back). Luckily, my neighbor was looking for a helmet and he bought it from me.

I think I will order the Fly Trekker in large and see what happens.
tntmo, I do not see you in the record, PM me if you bought from us.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 08-24-2012, 09:02 AM   #612
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
tntmo, I do not see you in the record, PM me if you bought from us.

BP
I didn't buy from you, sounds like you have great customer service. Luckily I didn't need to test the customer service because my neighbor saw the helmet.

I guess I may buy locally, just so I can try on a helmet. I don't like buying online stuff unless I know it fits.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #613
E365
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Here's my newbie take on the FX-39. My head measures 22.5" which is exactly in-between the Small and Medium. The Small felt pretty snug (a good snug) in the store and the medium maybe be a tad too big. I decided to go with the Small AFX in Hi Viz yellow. I got it home (ordered from DennisKirk.com actually) and it seemed a little too tight but I think it will break-in to about perfect. Actually, a day later of just wearing it around the house and it's feeling better already. I think the store version was broken-in a bit from all the test fitting.

I also tried the Fly Racing Trekker in the store as my 22.5" head is exactly in the middle of their Medium range. The AFX Medium did feel a tad bigger than the Fly Medium which is consitent with the info found online. But I felt the Fly and AFX Smalls felt about the same.

I like Fly's version of Hi-Viz yellow better than AFX's, but I'm really digging the AFX ratchet strap, so the strap design won out over the color for me. I still plan to add some Hi-Viz Scotchlite stickers to the helmet anyway.

Just need to buy a motorcycle now....

E365 screwed with this post 08-25-2012 at 06:03 PM
E365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:59 PM   #614
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Question about this helmet

hi, so ive had the afx fx-39 for a while now, and all is great, i recently removed the stock clear face shield, and now only have the sun visor on, cause its been hot as hell around here, no need for the face shield now, and ever since i did that, at about 50mph or higher, i get whistling noises from right where the sun visor part is, on both sides, i notice if i put my hand over it while riding it stops, does it on both sides,

have any of you guys witnessed this, and what can be done to fix it? gets really annoying.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #615
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
hi, so ive had the afx fx-39 for a while now, and all is great, i recently removed the stock clear face shield, and now only have the sun visor on, cause its been hot as hell around here, no need for the face shield now, and ever since i did that, at about 50mph or higher, i get whistling noises from right where the sun visor part is, on both sides, i notice if i put my hand over it while riding it stops, does it on both sides,

have any of you guys witnessed this, and what can be done to fix it? gets really annoying.
Try a piece of tape where you were putting your hand. Might change the airflow enough to stop it.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote