Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2012, 12:43 PM   #106
Cornbread82 OP
Sir Crash A Lot!

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by cross-country View Post
Brett, I'm glad to hear the shoulder is getting better!

Do you guys have lodging figured out? I have a buddy that rents out a Hacienda southwest of Ojos Negros. We usually base out of there when prerunning all the sections from San Felipe-North. It's a nice place in that it is miles from anything and safe place to leave bikes/tools/whatever laying around and not worry about theft. Let me know if you want his contact info.
Hey Tony, I don't know what Allan, and John have planned for us but I do know that we are staying in hotels each of the nights. I don't think that we are going to be staying in the same place any night, we are going to be going about 150-200 each day from place to place.

Allan is taking at some options and sending the map of what he has planned to me tonight or tomorrow so I will see if we are going to be in that location and I will let you know if we are going to need it.

Thanks,
Brett
Cornbread82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:45 PM   #107
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,679
when is your pre-run? do you want a local?
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:59 PM   #108
Cornbread82 OP
Sir Crash A Lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
when is your pre-run? do you want a local?
We are going to get started the morning of the 9th. Allan is sending us a linkup site that we will meet on the night of the 8th and we will cross over the border the morning of the 9th. I think he was saying that we are only going about 11 miles in the trucks the getting on the bikes. Don't ask me where we are going to go or the location of the linkup yet, he should be sending that to me tonight. Do you have time to ride some?? If so let me know and I will keep you in the loop, I will tell you that this is more of a this is Baja, bike shakedown type of thing. We are not going to be blasting around to much, might get on it now and then but most of it will be just getting a good feel for all of the different types of riding. From what I have seen and been told, it changes all the time, sand to rock, to about everything else you can think of. Most of us are on the East coast so it is going to be all new, and I am sure that we will be spending a bunch of time picking ourselves and bikes up! If you are good with that let me know, I will talk to Allan and John, to make sure that everyone is cool. This is their thing helping us out so I can't make the call but I will find an answer for you.

Brett
Old 07-31-2012, 03:16 PM   #109
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,679
I won't be this month. I'm up in Reno for two months. But I have a friend who may have time for you. PM sent.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:56 PM   #110
azcagiva
new orange flavor

Oddometer: 1,141
Crossing at Tecate leaving trucks at Rancho Ojai.

-John

www.Raceforthewounded.com
azcagiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:19 AM   #111
ecarnell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornbread82 View Post
Ecarnell, I think that it is helping me and worth the money. I don't know how your shoulder feels but I feel OK with the arm in the riding position, it is putting it out to the side that hurts the most. The strap helps hold the shoulder in toward your body. It seems to give you extra support in the joint to help stop straining it some. It was a bit painful putting it on the first time, but once I got the straps in place it isn't as bad. You might need some help getting everything setup but after that I just kept everything in place. IMO it is worth the money!! Not the end all be all but it helps me and I think worth giving a try. Some people think it is bulky but I don't think it is that bad. I hope that this helps, I am about the same % as you are with the shoulder.

Brett
Did you buy the SB02 or the SB03?
Ordering one next week.
2012 Dacre Challenge -Team Explore the Bruce - 8th (i.e last) Place. 17:59
ecarnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:41 AM   #112
Cornbread82 OP
Sir Crash A Lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecarnell View Post
Did you buy the SB02 or the SB03?
Ordering one next week.
I got the SB03
Old 08-02-2012, 03:08 AM   #113
Cornbread82 OP
Sir Crash A Lot!

Well the forks and shocks will be in today so I can finish the bike and get on the road to do the Baja shakedown. Scott and I will be on the road the morning of the 5th and conduct a linkup with Allan, John, Randy, and Chris the night of the 8th. We should be in Mexico by 0800 on the 9th and riding by 1000. I will have my spot on and I think that Allan is going to bring his too, so if you want to follow along with the ride you can. We will be trying to post as much video and pics as we can during the ride, and I am sure after we will give a good report on the 3 cherry's thoughts on riding in Baja I am sure this is gong to help Scott, Randy and my training plan for the race. I am just happy that all of this going to happen so we are not going into the race cold never seeing Baja until the race.

Just a quick update on what we have raised for the Wounded Warriors. At this point on our site Raceforthewounded.com
we have $6552.00, not bad but we are only just over 10% of our goal. Joe, who is part of the chase crew has a few things going starting tonight in St. Peters Mo. at Sombreros 1287 Jungermann Rd. in hopes of raising more money for the Wounded Warrior's. If you are in the area please stop by and help support our Wounded Warriors and please checkout or site if you can't make it.

Thanks,
Brett
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...X9yxS1CDF1MXqi
Old 08-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #114
wittyusername
Baja Basketball

Oddometer: 120
At Brett's house

I just arrived at Brett's house. This is the first time I've seen the race bike in 4 months. Damn it looks good.

We're gonna be working on the bike all day tomorrow then we're off to Mexico for a little pre-pre-riding in the desert. This will be the fist time most of the team has ever met. We're all looking forward to this.

I'm setting up a SPOT Tracker page for all to follow. I figure if you're following this thread...you might want to follow us on the SPOT tracker too. hah.

Stay Classy,
Scott
wittyusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #115
wittyusername
Baja Basketball

Oddometer: 120
SPOT Public Page

I just created a public SPOT Tracker page. This is my first time using this tracker. It's a dry run for our race in Nov.

Here's the link to the public tracker page.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...mYpBX4T5zQmHb8
wittyusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #116
HalfFast
Double Secret Pit Ninja

Oddometer: 251
Last minute prep

Seems like we have a bit of last minute prep to do when we all link up in SoCal on Wednesday night. Brett reported from the road yesterday that we have a leaky carb on the KTM. I am trying to source some parts and he is going to be doing some more in depth trouble shooting on the needle valve seat etc......

in the meantime I added my Baja designs lights to my WR pre-runner. I like them but they do add some weight over the front wheel. It is better than running in to trees or cacti though. I figure these dual 8"race lights plus my two 10w HID helmet lights ought to do just fine.

can't wait to ride!

AND if anyone along the highway 5 corridor from San Jose to Los Angeles wants a hand delivered TEAM TCB T shirt let me know. I am driving down Wednesday evening and we can meet up for a short pit stop T shirt sale..... They are pretty sweet and will go a long way towards helping out the team and our wounded warriors.

2012 2nd place NORRA Mexican 1000
2013 1st place NORRA Mexican 1000

HalfFast screwed with this post 08-06-2012 at 12:36 PM
HalfFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #117
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFast View Post
Seems like we have a bit of last minute prep to do when we all link up in SoCal on Wednesday night. Brett reported from the road yesterday that we have a leaky carb on the KTM. I am trying to source some parts and he is going to be doing some more in depth trouble shooting on the needle valve seat etc......

in the meantime I added my Baja designs lights to my WR pre-runner. I like them but they do add some weight over the front wheel. It is better than running in to trees or cacti though. I figure these dual 8"race lights plus my two 10w HID helmet lights ought to do just fine.

can't wait to ride!
]

MO light=MO better. You can never have enough.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #118
rburkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
I just put up our documentary on racing the Baja 1000 on youtube. It's a step by step of two noobs planning, preriding, and racing it in 2008 ( loop race ) . Hope it helps :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnlRddEvGpI

We did it just with 2 guys. Never been to mexico and we're pretty new to riding.

Here are some non obvious tips that i wish we knew or some that we actually had.

1. Make sure that the rider of record starts the race. ( The rider of record either has to start or finish for you to officially complete the race. If you have the rider of record go last and he crashes/gets hurt and can't finish, you're out. So best to start with that rider and even if he gets hurt 10 feet from the start, your other guys still can continue and finish successfully.

2. Check that your helmet mounted lights are the same temperature ( color ) as you bike lights. It's distracting and adds to fatigue if one is blue and one is white. Your eyes are continually having to adjust. You will spent more time riding at night and you will be more tired so optimize for the night ride.

3. Make your pits smooth. You can waste a lot of time in the pits and that adds to frustration, time and fatigue. Have guys that know what they are doing and you can trust. During the race you might not be thinking straight so it's nice if you have someone that takes care of this. If you have major pits to change wheels/tires make sure that you have lots of lighting in the pit in case it happens at night.

4. Have a spare bike of the same type in the back of chase truck. It's nice to just swap out a whole break system or the like if you need to. We bent our rotor and burned out our break, so simply changed the whole front break system in 5 minutes.

In the baja 1000 you can show up unprepared, race and finish with out issue....if you're lucky. You can also have the best gear and prepare all you want and not finish...if you're unlucky. So my advice is to prepare as much as you can so when you have to deal with the adversity that will come at you.

btw, I'll be there this year also trying it solo... on my 990R :)

Radek

rburkat screwed with this post 08-06-2012 at 09:07 PM
rburkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #119
bajaboundmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by rburkat View Post
Make sure that the Rider Of Record starts the race. The rider of record either has to start or finish for you to officially complete the race.
Not exactly. Who starts or finishes only matters if you're doing all 3 races (250/500/1000) that year for "points".
If not going for points ROR can do anything, or nothing, and if you finish you're scored as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburkat View Post
In the baja 1000 you can show up unprepared, race and finish with out issue....if you're lucky.
You can also have the best gear and prepare all you want and not finish...if you're unlucky.
Aint that the truth!
bajaboundmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #120
rburkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaboundmoto View Post
Not exactly. Who starts or finishes only matters if you're doing all 3 races (250/500/1000) that year for "points".
If not going for points ROR can do anything, or nothing, and if you finish you're scored as such.

Aint that the truth!
Weird. They made such a big deal out of it at finish line. But perhaps they were just looking at overall points. Thanks for the clarification.
rburkat is offline   Reply With Quote