ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
81husky OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Kelly Creek to Lolo Motorway

Anyone know if FS road 581 (Toboggan Ridge) is open between Old Kelly Creek Work Station and the Lolo Motorway? Clearwater NF travel info is not real clear on what the status is.
81husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
Idarider
R1200GS

Oddometer: 1,955
bump

Usually someone like sorebutt has made a day ride out of the Pierce-Kelly creek-toboggan ridge-Lolo motorway loop by now.

Anyone?

I wanted to last weekend and ended up just going to the Aquarius area of the North fork and Greer grade several times.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:43 PM   #3
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,628
I'm planning on doing that trip sometime soon. I have a couple of projects I'm working on that I should finish up this week. I would guess it is open unless there are trees down. I was 4- wheeling Sun. & Mon. up to 8000 Ft. and there isn't much snow anywhere that I could see.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
81husky OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Thanks guys. The NF travel info page shows 581 open, but blocked by blowdown. It also shows 581D closed (blowdown and failed culvert) at the 2 mile mark. Do you know if 581D is just the spur road off of 581 that goes up to blacklead? In other words, is 581 the only road we need, to get from Kelly Creek to Lolo Motorway? My son and I will be there about the 13th of August, so the blowdown may be cleared by then.
81husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:45 AM   #5
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,697
We just did that section, I think it was july 23rd? No snow, but some downed trees.
Toboggan Ridge - it looked like a quad had been clearing stuff, but only wide enough for a quad/bike. We had to duck under a bunch of trees, but we got through just fine.

It feels like a million years ago (we're in Canada now), but we were going from the Lolo Motorway to Kelly Creek. Aside from the downed trees, no other problems. Not sure about the spur road, but I think we only took 581?
Sorry, that was many miles ago and my memory is crap.
Chances are it's been cleared by now, or at least will be by august 13th.

LittleWan screwed with this post 08-15-2012 at 02:43 PM Reason: fix photo link
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:42 AM   #6
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 1,014
We (Best of MT 2012 group) 7 inmates spent the night at Cayuse Ck on the Lolo end of the Kelly Ck/Tobaggan Road last Friday night. I've been planning on running up towards Wallace on this route. The Motorway is all clear. Had a Ural w/side car in the group carrying a chain saw, but never needed it. (And beer alsowhich was needed.)

Wansfel screwed with this post 08-01-2012 at 07:47 AM
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote