User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2012, 05:43 PM   #6091
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,648
Rhino lined tank & side panels

Thought some of you guys might be interested in seeing this. I had a 2nd gas tank (and tank "ears") and decided to get 'em Rhino Lined as I'd heard good things of the toughness of this spray-on truck bed liner. I brought them (Rhino Linings Of Winnipeg, 1481 Dublin Ave, Winnipeg, MB R3E 3G8, PH: 204-697-4466) the parts all prepped this morning, and they sprayed 'em for $100. Note that I was too lazy to take the fairing & rear fender off to get done too. A couple of points regarding all this. If you want it done cheap, bring the parts to them all prepped (sanded, decals removed of course, cleaned thoroughly with TSP or acetone, masked & ready to paint)... it's a lot of work doing this properly BTW - took me a few days. I think the results were worth it:

GreatWhiteNorth screwed with this post 07-31-2012 at 05:48 PM
GreatWhiteNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:17 PM   #6092
rugbyrtcwka
railroader

Oddometer: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibs View Post
Thanks but I am not dissuaded. This will require extensive planning and co ordination but avoiding rail traffic on this line is not difficult.
you kind of remind me of that guy who invented an antigrizzly suit which he tromped off into the BC forest wearing never to be seen again.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:26 PM   #6093
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibs View Post
Glad to hear someone with a positive response to this ride! I am putting the ride off until next August to allow me time to build the outrigger and also get my gun license and a shotgun. Friends of mine at a local fab shop are on board with the project, and we have begun the design process. Gonna take some advice from a fellow inmate and stop the open conversation about the trip on the forum. I will post pics and video next September I hope lol.

Jibs - what you riding? You'd need pretty solid mounts for an outrigger system. Basically you're making a rail specific sidecar! You'll want really solid mounting points - suggest looking into sidecar mounts. Dauntless Motors (DMC) in Enumclaw WA is probably the most well known/highest volume selling sidecar guy in the States. They make sidecar adaptor subframes and hardware for pretty much most common "tugs". Suggest you contact them, and I'm betting they'd fabricate you something that'd work. Another good Cdn company that does wonders with custom work is Side Effects in Kamloops BC. Not sure how much custom work Griffin Trikes (also a sidecar installer) here in Wpg does, but you could ask.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:35 PM   #6094
calan818
All squint eyed&confused

Oddometer: 1,187
saddle sore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-II View Post
I just got back from our place at the lake. No real damage other than some water ingress, but BIG trees everywhere ripped out by their roots, and windows blown in and shattered on neighboring places. Power lines are down, of course, and it might be towards the weekend before it's restored.

I think my own trip is off. I don't think I'm going to survive in the saddle for 5 days when lately I can't go much more than an hour without needing to get off :(

Got to work on my physical condition, and either get some comfort mods done to this bike or look at a more suitable all-round machine in the spring and perhaps go next summer instead.
Mark, I rode my stock KLR seat for years and thought it was just ok. For about 135 bucks I got new foam and seat cover from Seat Concepts (you use your stock seat pan). A little wider and flatter and it was a nice improvement . Beats paying $500 and up for a new seat.
calan818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:53 PM   #6095
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Aftermarket gel seat.

My bike came with a Travelcade (I think that's the company) gel seat. That's what I used for that big loop thru the Rockies. I found the seat surprisingly decent all things considered. They're a pretty cheap upgrade ($130ish). I don't normally use it around town because the seat cover is in rough shape (I have a 2nd spare cover... just need to get it put on) - Mark, if you'd like to borrow it to try you're welcome to it.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:47 PM   #6096
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 590
Hey guys.

Wanted to let you guys know I'm still alive and got word today that my bike is gonna be okay! If you guys want, I can post pictures I got from when I saw it in the mpi lot.
I'm spending a lot of time working at wholesale sports these days so if anybody wants to drop by I'm working all day Friday and Saturday. I'll be in the camping department.
Besides that, I can't wait to get back in the road with you guys. Shall we have another kenora joyride?

- Mel
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:00 AM   #6097
Mark-II
Turn The Gas On

Oddometer: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
My bike came with a Travelcade (I think that's the company) gel seat. That's what I used for that big loop thru the Rockies. I found the seat surprisingly decent all things considered. They're a pretty cheap upgrade ($130ish). I don't normally use it around town because the seat cover is in rough shape (I have a 2nd spare cover... just need to get it put on) - Mark, if you'd like to borrow it to try you're welcome to it.
Thanks for the offer. The guy I was going with *really* doesn't want me dropping out. I was going to head out this morning to look for a gel pad (his suggestion), otherwise I might take you up on the loaner. Time is just getting really tight now, with Friday being date-of-departure and so much else to do in the meantime, so getting a new seat or re-doing mine is out of the question at this point, but definitely on the list if I decide to keep this bike (will hopefully get to test an NC700x in Rapid City).

Will keep in touch!
Mark-II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:52 AM   #6098
Oldrookie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
KLR Seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-II View Post
I just got back from our place at the lake. No real damage other than some water ingress, but BIG trees everywhere ripped out by their roots, and windows blown in and shattered on neighboring places. Power lines are down, of course, and it might be towards the weekend before it's restored.

I think my own trip is off. I don't think I'm going to survive in the saddle for 5 days when lately I can't go much more than an hour without needing to get off :(

Got to work on my physical condition, and either get some comfort mods done to this bike or look at a more suitable all-round machine in the spring and perhaps go next summer instead.
I'm a stranger in this forum, but the KLR seat thing is too good to pass up. The Piffle person landed at my place a couple of years ago with a modification to his KLR seat that I found ingenious. I guess his rear end is a tad wide, and the stock seat was causing some discomfort, so he got hold of some sort of fabric water bottle holder, put a water bottle on each end and laid it over his seat. It worked a treat, doubling the width of the seat, as he traveled a bunch of kms with it before upgrading the following winter. Total expenditure had to be <$20.

Besides, according to Brian, Winnipegers are tough and KLR guys spend all their time on the pegs don't they?
Old 08-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #6099
Mark-II
Turn The Gas On

Considering I was thinking of a way to pack extra water that might not be a bad idea, if I could find such a device.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:03 AM   #6100
Mark-II
Turn The Gas On

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeKLR View Post
Hey guys.

Wanted to let you guys know I'm still alive and got word today that my bike is gonna be okay! If you guys want, I can post pictures I got from when I saw it in the mpi lot.
I'm spending a lot of time working at wholesale sports these days so if anybody wants to drop by I'm working all day Friday and Saturday. I'll be in the camping department.
Besides that, I can't wait to get back in the road with you guys. Shall we have another kenora joyride?

- Mel
Glad your scoot survived. I guess the KLR takes a dumpin' and keeps on thumpin' ;)

Pics plz.

If I'm around I'd be up for a trip again. I'm still supposed to be heading west for a week before my holidays are done, though.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:06 PM   #6101
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 590
As requested, Here are some picture taken from my phone. Enjoy.

Waiting for paramedics to take me away

Minutes after the crash

Hahaha this is the picture I sent Chris from the ambulance. Classy, no?

5-6 shots of morphine and still awake and aware.

1 week later

Paniers definitely saved the bike

And the Acerbis handguards did their job

The frame supporting the front cowling got pushed in almost completely on the right side.

Broken turn signal

That front tire looks a little off, doesn't it.

Mirrors all messed up. I had them at just the right spot, too

Moral of the story: WEAR RIDING GEAR, FOR GOD'S SAKE. the ONLY day ever since getting the bike that I don't wear long pants or jeans and this happens. I've learned my lesson.
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #6102
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Incredibly lucky!

Mel - by the grace of God, you really were lucky things weren't worse. Glad to see you were so fortunate, and your bike looks very repairable. Hope to see you back on 2 wheels again soon.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #6103
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,676
Eeeeeeeeouch

As said before you are very lucky. Bike actually looks pretty good. Battle scars but generally functional?

Find us on Spot http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...YGllfEZqqxYWcA
dryden_rider_54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #6104
Mark-II
Turn The Gas On

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeKLR View Post
Mirrors all messed up. I had them at just the right spot, too

...you got off light for taking a tumble in something akin to shorts. I don't take unnecessary chances because someone towards whom Gravity is highly attracted would bounce with a great deal less grace.

BTW - I'm pretty happy with those Olympia Airglide pants. On particularly hot days I do wear shorts under them, though they are made with the intent of being used AS pants, rather than overpants, so this should be ok. I love that the zippers go all the way up to the waist. Of course I have no intention of voluntarily testing their abrasion resistance....

Mark-II screwed with this post 08-01-2012 at 02:46 PM
Old 08-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #6105
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,400
Never met you Mel, but you're a poster child for ATGATT! That leg is lucky to still be attached to it's owner. Good luck with a speedy recovery.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote