Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #976
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBill View Post
.. good point .. ATGATT don't come cheap .. well .. if you buy retail it don't ..

.. shop the flea market here at ADV .. or fleaBay on the internet .. I have gotten some GREAT deals on GOOD (sometimes nearly-new) gear and saved a chunk of money for Farkles .. I think about the only thing I wear that I paid retail for are my gloves ..

.. that's something like five jackets .. about six helmets .. three pairs of riding pants .. boots .. everything "name brand" quality gear fit for a big guy .. you normal-sized guys and gals should do even better than I have .. and I'm still somewhere around a grand (US $$) for everything ..

.. great point Coma ..
i only have 1helmet, 1jacket, 1 pair of trousers 2 sets of gloves and 1 pair of boots and are 4years old and still good. i dont bother with leathers as its to cold and wet in the uk to use them much.

you only need 1 full set of ridden gear and never buy a 2rd hand helmet
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #977
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
Thanks for the Tip!
Subscribe to these guys mailing list & check their site...
Awesome deals float by regularly: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #978
Coma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Subscribe to these guys mailing list & check their site...
Awesome deals float by regularly: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/

Thanks!
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:12 AM   #979
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,104
RE the helmets-thing .. I agree, kinda .. you don't want to pick up a beat up helmet or piece of junk to put your melon in, usually, that's a good word of caution and wisdom there .. that said .. I disagree, mostly .. here's why ..

Like most things in life, ymmv .. BUT .. I have gotten three near-new helmets off this site and don't have any problem with using them .. one even still had the plastic protective sheet still on the visor (I paid a whopping $70.00 for it and love it, retail was about $130.00 bucks when I got it .. now they are about $90.00-$110.00 if you can find them) .. the other two are very nice Arai helmets that the wife and I use, again, no safety issues at all .. and I have about $200.00 invested in BOTH of them together (not $400.00 to $500.00 + each) .. they came from guys who I PM'd prior to buying and they didn't tell me any lies about their condition ..

.. the other helmets are in great shape too .. they don't fit me worth a damn, but I didn't spend more than about $50.00 on any of them and I know exactly how they fit and how their (mfg.) sizing runs now ..

.. I'll also point out that, imvho, a used full-face in good condition is a helluva lot better than a brand spankin' now DOT polo or skid lid or 3/4 helmet .. I wear those too, though not as much these days .. again, ymmv .. even my 10 year old beat up smelly Fulmer Modus Flip-Face is better than any one of my skid lids (and I got a bunch of those too .. in DOT and non-DOT "novelty" flavors) ..

.. someone will probably tell me I'm crazy, but in my experience, if you're thinking about dropping several hundred dollars into a helmet that you can't try on before you buy, or you may decide after a week that it didn't break-in right and it's not going to work out for you, then pick a cheap used one first .. cause no "reputable" dealer is going to take it back ..

.. and sizing .. yeesh .. especially with Arai helmets .. they tend to be a real pain if you are not familiar with their size and shape differences between models/makes .. some run narrow and oval and some run "more round" but are not really all that round .. I take a XL Aria in the Quantum II series and a medium in about anything from AFX or Fulmer .. I found this out from buying a couple of used helmets and trying them on and wearing them around the house for a bunch of days (I think there's even a pic or three of my playing video games with the kids while sitting around wearing some of them, which my wife finds just hysterical for some reason) as result if have found that I don't like the near-new Kombat helmet I picked up for $20.00 but my kids think it's the greatest thing to play with (while they leave my helmets I actually wear alone) .. nor the Bell .. nor the other ones (it really is a longer list than I realized until I wrote this and checked the kid's room .. yikes ..) ..

I have lost nothing by picking up good condition/like new condition helmets from other guys that paid full retail and found they didn't fit and couldn't return them .. I still have far less invested in some good "name brand" helmets than I would if I had spent time and money (and gas) driving all over North Carolina shopping for them .. I don't live in a booming metropolis where it's easy or convenient to go helmet shopping, so ADVRider (and sometimes eBay) is my friend when it comes to gear reviews and picking up good-quality gear at a fraction of the retail price .. I know for a solid fact what the fitment is (or isn't) without taking a beating on the cost of helmets and riding gear ..

I have even given away some gear that didn't fit me but the kid down the street who just bought a bike (and can't afford his own gear) can (and does) wear .. one guy I work with pulled a "superman" sliding down the road wearing a Joe Rocket jacket I had just given him two weeks before he went down .. (it looked cooler than the FirstGear Killamanjaro jacket I also tried to give him .. shame I didn't give him some pants to go with the jacket (his knees came out looking a little rough .. and my kids LOVE the "toy" helmets they have gotten along the way (though they look more like Dark Helmet from Space Balls running around in those things) ..

.. again .. ymmv .. but I have had a great time trying out gear for WAY less than retail without any return hassles .. your experiences may vary too, but I have not gotten "burned" by anyone here yet .. helmets included ..

.. now, if I (ever) get off my fanny and actually (re)list some of the stuff that didn't work out well I would have even "far less" invested in my gear .. and could pass along a good deal to the next guy .. or I'll keep giving the stuff away to other guys I ride with .. whatever works ..

.. okay .. someone else can have the soap box for awhile .. have a great day folks .. Ride Blessed .. ymmv .. no purchase necessary to win .. credit cards gratefully accepted, cash gets you a discount .. family members and employees not eligible to win .. etc., etc., ..

.. but, for you NOOBS .. used gear is better than no gear ! ! ! ! .. and that includes helmets ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:18 AM   #980
NeedaSpace7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
^ + 1

I agree with everything you have said
NeedaSpace7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:50 AM   #981
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBill View Post
.. someone will probably tell me I'm crazy, but in my experience, if you're thinking about dropping several hundred dollars into a helmet that you can't try on before you buy,.

But you will be "dropping" good money for a helmet that may have been dropped.

A used helmet may look great. It will be better than not wearing one but if it has been dropped it may well be fractured and comprimised while showing no outward signs.

Just last weekend the store where I work was very busy and we had a customer looking at helmets place one back on a shelf (not very well) about 6' up. They then bumped it when they grabbed the one next to it and it fell to the floor with a THUD. I was pleased to see one of our apparel gals go over and offer assistance with a smile and cut the straps off the dropped helmet.

This is the reason I would NEVER buy a used lid. That and the fact that someone else has had their scanky head in it.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:45 AM   #982
Coma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
RevBill,
I think you make some really good points about used. I am adverse to buying used helmets for the mentioned reasons. Until I get a handle on how some of this stuff fits I will have to try it on. I also like to support local business, if I can. I am not a good shopper, but I love to smell new motorcycles while looking at gear. Online pricing for info and trying on for size will have to work for a while.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #983
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,115
I bought my last (new) helmet at CycleGear - they are the only retailer I know that will allow you to return a helmet if you don't like it. I talked to the store manager, whom I know pretty well, just to get a feel for how he felt (as in would this cause him any grief...) his answer was "Heck yeah I want you to order one ... I won't get to see a Shoei Qwest for months if you don't .... "

Apparently the have a big sale of all the returned gear once a year at the corporate HQ and figure that the cost of any returns is worth it in terms of gathering more loyal customers ... I have to say it worked on me!
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:28 PM   #984
Mike_drz
Banned

Oddometer: 402
I would say get a helmet that really fits your head. I been riding with a helmet -1 size for years (they said motorcross rider do that), just realized I been too hard for my head
Mike_drz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:50 AM   #985
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
RevBill,
I think you make some really good points about used. I am adverse to buying used helmets for the mentioned reasons. Until I get a handle on how some of this stuff fits I will have to try it on. I also like to support local business, if I can. I am not a good shopper, but I love to smell new motorcycles while looking at gear. Online pricing for info and trying on for size will have to work for a while.

just go to a motorbike shop and find the helmets thats in your price range and try it on and do this with load s of helmets til you get the right fit. all my 2rd hand lids get the straps cut off before i bin them.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #986
tiredofpushinpedals
n00b

Oddometer: 3
first post...

woo hoo! I'm an adventurer! I guess that's a step-up from a "lurker"? I am in the process of getting my first bike- talking the wife into it, checking on bikes, insurance, gear, etc., and this place is an awesome resource. thanks to all of you who share your experience with those of us who have none, or less. One little thing I can add here about not focusing on what you want to miss and instead focusing on the line you want to take is a little rhyme I've used mountain biking for the past 12 years- "Pick it and Stick it!" That is, pick the line you want to take and get the bike there. Easy for a bone head like me to remember.

Glad to be here and looking forward to... who the hell knows what!
tiredofpushinpedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #987
woolsocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
lane positioning when passing

Is this correct?

I'm on a two lane road (two lanes one way, two lanes the other way). I'm in the right lane behind some cars, I will generally be in the left side of that lane so that the cars in front of me can see me in their mirrors (if they use them) and I can be seen by oncoming traffic attempting to turn left in front of me. Let's say I attempt to pass the cars in the right lane, so I move over to the left lane and start passing. Generally, what part of the lane should I be in? Should I be on the right side of the left lane near the cars that I'm passing in the right lane so they can see me in their mirrors (if they use them) or should I go towards the left side of the left lane and be near the center line of the road and hence be near oncoming traffic that could possibly cross the center line and hit me? I always apply lots of throttle when passing and get the hell out of there. I'm always about 5 to 10 miles an hour faster than traffic and throttle it if I need to get out of a blind spot or pass quickly. So, any advice?

Thanks!
woolsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #988
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Lane positioning is always situational.

In general I would stay to the left side of the lane just in case the car decides to start changing lanes without checking it's blind spot first.

However, if there were a big-assed truck coming the other way in the opposing left lane then I'd probably stay more towards the middle.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #989
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by woolsocks View Post
Let's say I attempt to pass the cars in the right lane, so I move over to the left lane and start passing. Generally, what part of the lane should I be in? Should I be on the right side of the left lane near the cars that I'm passing in the right lane so they can see me in their mirrors (if they use them) or should I go towards the left side of the left lane and be near the center line of the road and hence be near oncoming traffic that could possibly cross the center line and hit me?
you'll get different opinions. mine is:

i assume i have absolutely no influence on what any cars will do and that they will not see me no matter what i do.

so, i position myself in such a ways as to make avoiding them if they do something stupid easiest.

so, if there are no oncoming cars, i would be in the left of the left lane near the center line in the situation you describe. that gives the most cushion for them to wander into my lane and not hit me and, more importanly, gives me the most time to see that they are doing that and react.

if there are cars in the oncoming lane, i will be in the middle of the lane so i have as much time and space as possible to react if the oncoming car crosses the center line while still having some time and space to react to the car i am passing.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #990
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by woolsocks View Post
Is this correct?

I'm on a two lane road (two lanes one way, two lanes the other way). I'm in the right lane behind some cars, I will generally be in the left side of that lane so that the cars in front of me can see me in their mirrors (if they use them) and I can be seen by oncoming traffic attempting to turn left in front of me. Let's say I attempt to pass the cars in the right lane, so I move over to the left lane and start passing. Generally, what part of the lane should I be in? Should I be on the right side of the left lane near the cars that I'm passing in the right lane so they can see me in their mirrors (if they use them) or should I go towards the left side of the left lane and be near the center line of the road and hence be near oncoming traffic that could possibly cross the center line and hit me? I always apply lots of throttle when passing and get the hell out of there. I'm always about 5 to 10 miles an hour faster than traffic and throttle it if I need to get out of a blind spot or pass quickly. So, any advice?

Thanks!
IMO, it's a situational thing and not amenable to a 'rule' of some sort. The only rule I have is pass as quickly as you can to return to a space where negligent behavior on the part of the cages can't affect you.