Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #196
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,420
Awesome ride! I need to get out and wander around those parts!
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #197
Riddler990
I Suck, You Rule.

Oddometer: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM265 View Post
Cause where we go, your heavy bikes would never make it...what fun is limiting where you can go? We spend the 1st day crawling in and out of ravines, large boulder climbs, pea rock sand wash that is over 5 miles long (dry river bed we follow) Imagine that sand corner you guys wiped out on being 5 miles long with cliff walls on either side...only one direction and no way to avoid it.

Every trip regardless of the gear and location is always a good adventure though and sure beats going to work... Great pictures, good write up...
Apples and Oranges my friend. Most on this ride aren't (weren't) limited, we have both small and big bikes. This ride was about what it was about. I'm sure some of us will return to the general area in the near future on the small bikes for a different riding experience.
Riddler990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #198
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokklym View Post
Awesome ride! I need to get out and wander around those parts!

come out and PM me if you need additional info.

great linky you have...very helpful to all those planning a trip...http://www.rideadv.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler990 View Post
This ride was about what it was about. I'm sure some of us will return to the general area in the near future on the small bikes for a different riding experience.

haha...we were leaving at the same time, we were already planning to go back and ride it again. one good round deserves another.

yeah....small bikes....and a support truck
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #199
KTM265
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler990 View Post
Apples and Oranges my friend. Most on this ride aren't (weren't) limited, we have both small and big bikes. This ride was about what it was about. I'm sure some of us will return to the general area in the near future on the small bikes for a different riding experience.

Outstanding... FYI, looking at a run in Oct for the south rim again if any of you might be interested...shoot me a PM.
Mark Twain: "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, dream and discover"....

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely and in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy Crap, What a Ride!"
KTM265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:38 AM   #200
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM265 View Post
Outstanding... FYI, looking at a run in Oct for the south rim again if any of you might be interested...shoot me a PM.
north rim is closed from oct 15 to may 15 for winter.

weather permitting, we plan to go back this november and conquer elbow canyon on our small bikes....

and about the same time frame we'll be back next year. many of the riders commented we don't have to change anything, it was ride where everything fell in the right places....haha

maybe add another 2 days.
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:13 AM   #201
KTM265
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
north rim is closed from oct 15 to may 15 for winter.

weather permitting, we plan to go back this november and conquer elbow canyon on our small bikes....

and about the same time frame we'll be back next year. many of the riders commented we don't have to change anything, it was ride where everything fell in the right places....haha

maybe add another 2 days.

We have hit some snow on the south side a few times. We start in Fountain Hills where it's around 1,000ft elevation, 80-90F in the heat of the day...as we head north, the elevation goes up, temps drop fast...we'll be around 9,000 foot by day 2...snow and cold hitting us...then it drops back down in elevation until we hit the rim and decent temps...We did the ride in April one year, the drifts in the mountains were around 2 to 3 feet and miles long... That year I had my KTM250EXC and it was a blast cutting through the snow on it.
Mark Twain: "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, dream and discover"....

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely and in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy Crap, What a Ride!"
Old 07-13-2012, 07:24 AM   #202
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,279
Bump for this RR.

The riders on these kinds of trips form friendship bonds that last. If you're reading through and think you would like to experience this type of adventure, then continue to prepare and gain skills and be ready for one you can fit with.

This trip could only have been a pipe dream for me just a few years ago. A friend sent me a link of adventure rider photos (ADV Intro) some years ago, and it completely changed my outlook on motorcycling. I knew right away these were the kinds of adventures I wanted to pursue.

The adventures people share on ADVrider don't just happen in a vacuum. It takes years of practice and planning, and preparing yourself and machine for them.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:44 AM   #203
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Nice ride report, guys. Lots of familiar roads.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #204
Buster714
VP of crash testing

Oddometer: 628
Aram - Day 3... 3mo later?!

Okay you FF's look out! I'm back! More adv to share from far off lands outside CA. Found this post in a text file on my desktop. Is there an expiration on RR's? Not when I'm in them. This could take me another 6mo.

-----

Ten hours of sleep. Roughin' it.

Loner, StuCazzo, Tbarstow

So happy with this bike on this trip!!! I started to get bummed out on the last couple Mojave rides, feeling like a pussy trying to keep up with little bikes on this thing, but this last trip allowed the GS to stretch its legs and show me what it's got. I was very impressed and even shocked at times with the handling under full load through extremely rocky climbs, tight forested trails and slippery gravel roads. I have renewed faith in the bike. So much so, that I may be riding to Idaho next month from SoCal.

Anyway, on with the pics...

Forest a la FYYFF.

Yet another beautiful trail to an insane view of the Grand Canyon.

What a great feeling reaching the end of a climb and being presented with these views! It seemed obvious that these were places most people will never know about, with views that easily rival the very best the Canyon has to offer.

Here's a poor shot of that car Browneye was talking about. It looked like they hammered it into some rock steps and blew a tire. The spare was out but the car was already wedged into the hill against the rocks. Impala man... is that you?

NSFW, Tbarstow

There were unusual piles and stacks of giant rocks on the side of the highway.

The boulders dwafed us as we rode by.

Buster714 screwed with this post 07-31-2012 at 06:13 PM Reason: image location update
Buster714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #205
KTM265
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Bump for this RR.

The riders on these kinds of trips form friendship bonds that last. If you're reading through and think you would like to experience this type of adventure, then continue to prepare and gain skills and be ready for one you can fit with.

This trip could only have been a pipe dream for me just a few years ago. A friend sent me a link of adventure rider photos (ADV Intro) some years ago, and it completely changed my outlook on motorcycling. I knew right away these were the kinds of adventures I wanted to pursue.

The adventures people share on ADVrider don't just happen in a vacuum. It takes years of practice and planning, and preparing yourself and machine for them.

Amen to that... If you're a decent B level rider, you're ready for a trip like this...All it takes is a few PMs to people planning a trip and boom, you're in with a group...

Old 07-31-2012, 06:37 PM   #206
Buster714
VP of crash testing

More shots from the trip....

Awesome campsite.

Clanking buckets and yelling first thing in the AM. Miss you, Rich.

Strange noises over there last night.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:42 PM   #207
Buster714
VP of crash testing

The rest of my pics......

Long wait for the tunnel.

Now that's a post bump.

Video anyone?
Old 07-31-2012, 09:17 PM   #208
Buster714
VP of crash testing

Elbow Canyon hiking video up next! It's rendering. FINALLY I'm at work at 9:15pm... Spect. Spect.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #209
Buster714
VP of crash testing

DAY 1: Elbow Canyon

This video is RIDICULOUSLY LONG, but I wanted to document what everyone was up to on this particular day of the ride. Tim and I were running up and down that mountain for the better part of the day. Too many stops. The most on any ride I've ever been on. Ever. I even tipped over at one point having stopped too many times leading up to one section. Nevertheless, there's always something to learn from these rides... isn't there?

Ride up.
Hike down.
Pick up bikes.
Hike back up.
Repeat.

Carnage everywhere. Total destruction... for what? A few rocks? Looks easy enough..............

on video. Once you stopped, there was no traction on a heavy bike in this stuff. Good times for some. Total nightmare for others.

In all fairness, this terrain wasn't exactly on the menu when the trip was planned. It was supposed to be an 'easy' route with a challenging section or two. It took hours and hours to get everyone through about 18 miles!!!

Sorry for the long wait guys. I hope it was as enchanting as you remember it.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #210
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster714 View Post
This video is RIDICULOUSLY LONG, but I wanted to document what everyone was up to on this particular day of the ride. Tim and I were running up and down that mountain for the better part of the day. Too many stops. The most on any ride I've ever been on. Ever. I even tipped over at one point having stopped too many times leading up to one section. Nevertheless, there's always something to learn from these rides... isn't there?

Ride up.
Hike down.
Pick up bikes.
Hike back up.
Repeat.

Carnage everywhere. Total destruction... for what? A few rocks? Looks easy enough..............

on video. Once you stopped, there was no traction on a heavy bike in this stuff. Good times for some. Total nightmare for others.

In all fairness, this terrain wasn't exactly on the menu when the trip was planned. It was supposed to be an 'easy' route with a challenging section or two. It took hours and hours to get everyone through about 18 miles!!!

Sorry for the long wait guys. I hope it was as enchanting as you remember it.
Sweet video Aram! It was almost like doing it all over again, but without all the sweat and huffing and puffing.

Looking forward to your Idaho/Wyoming RR!
My YouTube
Save $5 when you sign-up with SmugMug: COUPON
M1Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote