Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2012, 08:09 PM   #2551
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
Congratulations!

I said the same thing about the seat but that was only the first 50 miles or so. I've had mine a week now. After four rides totaling 450 miles I don't notice the seat at all anymore. I wore jeans that first ride and some Tourmaster mesh pants the other rides. The jeans seemed to bunch up in the front but the riding pants don't. I plan on doing a 400 or 500 mile ride on it Saturday and that will tell me more. I'll take a sheepskin I have with me just in case! I could do 500 or 600 miles on the stock ST1300 seat and had to go to a Sargent to get a 1000 mile in a day seat. Mine came with Metzelers too but the Bridgestone 023 on other 700's are very good tires. I ran a set on my ST1300 and really liked them. I kind of looked forward to 023's again but oh well.
I will probably transition to Michelin Pilot Roads after the Metzelers wear out. We'll see. I run both Metzelers and Pilot Roads on my BMW with good results. I hope I get as lucky as you adapting to the seat, but I am a 600-1000 mile per day rider on long trips so I expect a custom is in order. I am sure the nut can be cracked but they sure would have made it easier with a side gas fill and a one piece seat. Dang 'em!
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #2552
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Here is a link to the Honda worldwide site with some details on the engine design. Another important aspect of Honda's current philosophy is evident in the large catalysts that the NC700 and the CBR250R have. Take a look.
. http://world.honda.com/Global-700cc-engine/index.html
sendler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #2553
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
I will probably transition to Michelin Pilot Roads after the Metzelers wear out. We'll see. I run both Metzelers and Pilot Roads on my BMW with good results. I hope I get as lucky as you adapting to the seat, but I am a 600-1000 mile per day rider on long trips so I expect a custom is in order. I am sure the nut can be cracked but they sure would have made it easier with a side gas fill and a one piece seat. Dang 'em!
Hopefully if enough of us complain about the seat, maybe we can Get a Russell day long made for it!
I just bought a Michelin Commander 2 for my GL1200 and its supposed to last 24,000 miles.
http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/...ser-tires-test
I want a long lasting set of tires for the NC also.
turbodieseli4i6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #2554
Mike Cash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
I'm not entirely sure the seat problem isn't mostly a matter of middle-aged men wearing boxers and ending up sitting on their losing-the-fight-with-gravity nutsacks.

I think I'll invest in a pair of briefs to see if that fixes the problem. Gotta be cheaper than modding the seat.....
Mike Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:39 PM   #2555
EetsOK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
I'm not entirely sure the seat problem isn't mostly a matter of middle-aged men wearing boxers and ending up sitting on their losing-the-fight-with-gravity nutsacks.

I think I'll invest in a pair of briefs to see if that fixes the problem. Gotta be cheaper than modding the seat.....
Talcum powder helps a bunch!
If you are chaffed afterwards, zinc creme (the white stuff you use for diaper rash) works wonders too. The zinc stimulates the cells in the healing process.

Before your ride:

After your ride(or before):

"Zinc oxide is a topical skin product that is used as a protective coating for mild skin irritations and abrasions. It can promote the healing of chapped skin. Zinc oxide works as a mild astringent and has some antiseptic properties.
Zinc oxide is commonly used to prevent or to treat rash by forming a protective barrier between the skin. Moderate concentrations (e.g., 15%) are usually used for prevention and maintenance of rash. Higher concentrations (up to 40%) may have absorptive properties and are usually used for treatment of rash."
Old 08-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #2556
Mike Cash
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm not getting a rash. It's just that the combined effects of the seat height/shape and 47 years of gravity means I end up sitting on my nuts! Alright when I'm by myself or there are just guys around, but adjusting one's nuts in mixed company simply isn't appropriate behavior for those of a refined deportment and genteel upbringing, such as myself.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:11 PM   #2557
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,562
Quote:
I'm not getting a rash. It's just that the combined effects of the seat height/shape and 47 years of gravity means I end up sitting on my nuts! Alright when I'm by myself or there are just guys around, but adjusting one's nuts in mixed company simply isn't appropriate behavior for those of a refined deportment and genteel upbringing, such as myself.
Jesus.
This is one of those posts that WOULD NOT benefit from a picture
for further elaboration. Thank you for not posting one.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:26 PM   #2558
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,929
Quote:
And all this time Honda having been saying...

Quote:
is lightweight and compact and delivers lots of torque in the low and middle rpm ranges with a comforting throb
Sounds like the seat produces something else..

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:02 AM   #2559
Mike Cash
Gnarly Adventurer

Maybe I should try swinging my leg over the front instead of the rear of the bike.

It's not an inherent design flaw with the bike; it's just a matter of figuring out a new mounting habit that gets my butt cheeks on the seat before the twins arrive.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:10 AM   #2560
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
Quote:
Maybe I should try swinging my leg over the front instead of the rear of the bike.

It's not an inherent design flaw with the bike; it's just a matter of figuring out a new mounting habit that gets my butt cheeks on the seat before the twins arrive.

Dang Mike! Maybe we need to have a cubby made in the seat for the family jewels. Nothing like hitting the brakes hard to make the ole eyeballs buldge out huh?
turbodieseli4i6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:32 AM   #2561
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Bicycle seats have had holes in the middle for years..
Ventilation more then anything else, but it's a good starting point.

Got my fun zone wet more then once, but it was even somewhat
enjoyable since the rain puddles on the road get hot very fast, so..

Maybe we're talking this too far.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 08-02-2012, 12:44 AM   #2562
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,904
A hardcore LD rider I know swears by these undergarments.

http://www.ldcomfort.com/
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:35 AM   #2563
Cortez
BAZINGA!

I forgot about that stuff completely.

I used to tour on my 650R in cycling shorts under my regular jeans.
It doubled the usable seat time.
$25-30 fix.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:26 AM   #2564
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
Well, the company I retired from makes the anti-monkey butt powder, so I am aware of that. TRUE crusty old long-distance kilo-mile riders use this stuff designed for cows...

http://www.bagbalm.com

In the excellent technical review article that was posted on the 700 engine design, much was spoken of the requirement of the engine to meet a "mature rider's" expectations. Well, Honda, that extends to the seat as well. It is OK if the engine throbs a bit, but not "the boys". I don't think it is entirely a positioning problem, because lacking Mike Cash's refined deportment and genteel upbringing, I am not embarrassed to tell them when and where to sit. I don't like that the angle forces you down towards the false tank. I WILL solve this problem.

Further to improvement of the bike I will look to improve the budget suspension. Honda seems forever intent on providing too much springing and not enough damping. Or maybe I have just been on BMW's too long. The front needs a complete re-valve and re-springing and the rear shock needs replacement with an Ohlins or Wilbers unit. I may see if I can get one that will drop the rear by 16mm to put the ride height back where it started after the addition of a 160/70 rear tire to replace the 160/60. This will allow fitment of the BMW K1200LT specific Metzeler Marathon tires that run about 18,000 miles. The front is already the "correct size".

Givi is already cataloging some good stuff for the bike including the mounts for the G35 bags, a windshield, and engine guards. Revzilla confirmed to me that they can special order the bag mounts. I will check today whether the engine guards and windshield are likewise available. The Honda protection bar looks to be ornamental and they even advertise it's "rugged adventure look". I am not going for the look.

This will be fun. To those non-farklers who would say "leave it the F alone", I cannot. Farkling is hereditary, however, most of my stuff works out and that which doesn't is usually reversible.

beemerphile screwed with this post 08-02-2012 at 06:33 AM
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:38 AM   #2565
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
In the excellent technical review article that was posted on the 700 engine design, much was spoken of the requirement of the engine to meet a "mature rider's" expectations.
It is a good tech article on the new NC700 engine but all the part about " a pleasing rumble" is heavily flavored with marketing speak. What they really meant to say is "we wanted a twin instead of a four for cost and fuel economy and the 270* crank was the best set of compromises.
sendler is offline   Reply With Quote