User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2012, 04:25 PM   #16
kaosrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Thanks

Thanks for posting this up Eddie. I was signed up and counting down the days. Then on a ride in the woods while getting ready for the big event I "messed up". So under Doctor's orders not to touch a bike for months, I had to settle for following everything on the interent. Sorry I missed meeting you, and congratulations on winning. I played this game last year so I know what an accomplishment it is, well done

Can't wait for the rest of the story.
kaosrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #17
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,307
Also tuned in.
I was already committed to something when I heard about the affair in Ozark. Even without hearing your report I'm sorry I missed it.
Jim
on2wheels52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #18
OlafofOregon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Thanks Sunman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunman View Post
Many thanks to Ian, BMW MOA, all vendors and all the volunteers that made this event possible. I didn't have time to pull off the Gypsy Tour, but the track competition was AWESOME with a field full of solid international riders. I had a blast and very much look forward to the next one!

Grip it and rip it!

Sonny

Special thanks to:
http://www.giantloopmoto.com/collect...ar-collection/
http://www.gsmmotorent.com/
http://www.touratech-usa.com/
http://www.horsepower-farm.com/
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...otorcycle.aspx
http://www.aerostich.com/
http://www.machineartmoto.com/shopsite_sc/index.html
http://www.youorskiphotography.com/
OlafofOregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:05 PM   #19
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 4,398
Thanks all, I'll get back to the report as soon as I can. I'm moving steers this weekend. Like Arkansas and Missouri, Kansas is burning up in the heat.

Texas Hill Country Badlands and Black Hills Riding the T.W.A.T Photos
ajayhawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #20
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
Hi Eddie
Great to se eyou're doing a RR about this rally as it was such a great event, I had a fantastic time and I know a lot of people reading the reports would enjoy it.

This was me trying to find an adventure route through the Ozarks to reach the Rally

Some attempt at anonymity is maintained by keeping my helmet on for the picture. As you can imagine, it took me quite a while to get Thelma upright again
It was nice seeing you ride. Next time maybe we will have a chance to chat

Old 07-28-2012, 03:07 PM   #21
Visian
Look out!

Oddometer: 1,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayhawkfan View Post
In addition to loading the waypoints, I and worked on routes and routes and routes. I needed to figure a way to get from Kansas City to the other 3 corners of the State, pick up BS Points and to Gypsy Tour (Oark, AR) on minor roads in 2.5 days.
This planning was made even more difficult by the short time available for route planning. The scorebook with all the various ways to bag points, and links to download the GPS data, was distributed just a week ahead of time.

To keep things as even as possible between locals close to the event and riders from all over the country, we took some waypoints that Eddie provided from his years of travel in MO, added in a good number of our own and put out a list of nearly 100 possibilities for a visit.

Whether you rode from 1,000 miles away or just 100, the idea was to ride your bike off the beaten path.

And let me tell you, to do the MO FO Corners tour in 2.5 days required some *serious* path beating.
Visian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #22
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visian View Post

And let me tell you, to do the MO FO Corners tour in 2.5 days required some *serious* path beating.
Ian, you are right and it was GREAT!!!

Old 07-30-2012, 10:07 AM   #23
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Saturday morning, July 22 I checked my route from Keokuk, Iowa to the SE corner of MO. It was almost 400 miles and had two Mississippi River ferry crossings. The route also cut through St. Louis in order to grab some BS points. Today looked to be long and HOT!

The first BS Point stop was at the Canton Ferry. To get credit for the stop I needed a receipt and to get a receipt I needed to ride across the river. I was the only rider. The cost was $4.50.

The Canton Ferry is the longest continually operating ferry on the Mississippi, chartered since 1853. The current ferry was put into operation in 1994.

Upstream of the Canton Ferry is Lock and Dam No. 20 on the Mississippi River.

The lock and dam opened in November, 1935 and is 2,369 (.45 of a mile) feet long. In 1904 the facility was placed in the National Register of Historic Places.

After crossing the river I continued south on the IL side of the river and crossed back at Hannibal to get more BS Point with a picture of the Mark Twain Riverboat:

Dirty GS riders draw a crowd (or it could be the bike).

Another way to earn points is visiting BMW Motorcycle shops. From Hannibal I headed to STL and Gateway BMW. They made me feel right at home.

Next stop also in STL was the Big Shoe at Brown Shoe Company:

At STL I cross over the Mississippi River into IL in order to pick up an Adventure Detour. Adventure Detours are routes riders can take to the Rally and earn points. There were ADV Detours all over the country so no matter where the rider was comping from there were detours to take. All the tours were listed in the Scorecard and could be downloaded into you GPSr or printed as maps.

The ADV Detour I chose started in a rural area south of STL and followed the Mississippi River to a Ferry across from Ste. Genevieve, MO. In order to receive credit for the detour I needed pictures along the old fort and a picture of my bike on the Ferry.

The detour was great. It was fast and scenic with lots of history, everything I like.

Much of the route was on the top of the Mississippi River Levies. The Mississippi River was on the right and fields on the left. This went on for miles.

First stop was Fort de Chartres.

The French had a fort in this site beginning in 1720. In 1750 they built a stone fort that inclosed a number of building including the power magazine that is the oldest building in IL.

This fort served as the French seat of government and its chief military installation in the Illinois Country. In 1763 France ceded much of its territory in North America, including Illinois, to Great Britain. British troops occupied the fort from 1765 until 1772, when encroachment by the Mississippi River caused a collapse of the south wall. Subsequently, the remaining walls and buildings fell into ruin.

The site features a reconstruction of portions of the Fort de Chartres. The fort gate was built in the 1920s.

Portions of the fort's walls were reconstructed on original foundations in 1989.

The site was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1960 and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.

After the fort I rode the Ste. Genevieve Ferry and required:

It was getting late I still had over 120 miles to the SE corner of MO. I would have to get that tomorrow. I thought about staying in Ste. Gen but they were have their county fair so I rode on to Cape Girardeau, MO for the night and I needed to get more miles behind me in order to make Oark by Sunday at 5:00.

Before leaving Ste. Gen there was another opportunity for points, the Bolduc House:

The Bolduc House was the first authentically restored historic structure in Ste. Genevieve. Built in 1770 out near the river on the Le Grand Champ field by Louis Bolduc, a Canadian lead miner, merchant and planter. The house is of vertical log construction (English build logs home with horizontal log construction). After the great flood of 1783 the house was taken apart, and reassembled in its present location in 1784.

As I crossed the street to take a picture a local stopped to ask "When are the aliens coming to take you home?" I guess I looked a little silly to him in all the gear and helmet in 100 degree weather.

I hoped to get 400 miles in today. I ended up doing 340. Tomorrow, I will have to get the SE corner. I can't get the SW corner and to Oark in time. I'll spend time tonight rerouting.

ajayhawkfan screwed with this post 07-30-2012 at 10:15 AM
Old 07-30-2012, 09:20 PM   #24
Sunman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Keep going Eddie! Great Report!

Consider looking me up on your next visit down to Austin!

Sonny
Twitter.com: @SonnyJohns
Sunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:30 AM   #25
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunman View Post
Keep going Eddie! Great Report!

Consider looking me up on your next visit down to Austin!

Sonny
I'm going to be down in Oct (but not riding) to visit my daughter. Let's get together for dinner or drinks.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:53 AM   #26
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Yesterday I did not get as far as I hoped by about 60-90 miles. I wanted to pick up the SE Corner of the MO-FO Tour but if that was not possible be a lot closer. The MO FO tours is all or none. If I don't pick up all the corners I get no credit. I need the SE Corner.

I spend time working on routes. From Cape Girardeau, MO to the SE corner to the SW Corner to Oark (where I am to meet the Giants at 5:00) is 570 miles. It is even more if I stray from the route to pick up BS Points. That is too many miles on back roads to make it by 5:00. I check the miles from Cape to the SE Corner to Oark and it is 420 miles. I know that will be a full day of riding with very few breaks but I believe I can make it.

Sunday starts off hot and stays hot all day. I leave Cape and head towards the SE Corner. It is Towosahgy State Historic Site. It is located in the Bootheel of Missouri. At one time the Bootheel was all swamp but has been channeled and drained and is now some of the richest agricultural land in Missouri. It can grow anything including cotton and rice and it is FLAT.

Towosahgy State Park is an area of Indian mounds that would have risen out of the swamp.

The site is a former fortified village and civil-ceremonial center for the Mississippian peoples who lived in southern Missouri between A.D. 1000 and A.D. 1400. There are 7 mounds visible with the temple mound being the largest seen in the center of the above picture.

More information can be found here:

">

ajayhawkfan screwed with this post 07-31-2012 at 10:09 AM
Old 07-31-2012, 10:10 AM   #27
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Picture taken from the MO State Parks website.

I have to travel so many miles today it prevents me from taking the time I normally would take to enjoy the parks and historic sites. I would have spent an hour or two at each site but only did a ride by.

I turned my bike toward Oark. I still needed some BS Points so while heading east I looked for them near my planed route and saw Boze Mill. There is not much left of the mill but the dam and turbine.

The Devil Dick Boze story from "History of the Irish Wilderness" -

During the Civil War and for a 3 year period after, bands of outlaws roamed the Ozarks. One such group, led by a man who rode with Quantrill, was Devil Dick Boze. His group had hideouts in the hills of the Eleven Point River and is thought to have used the Irish Wilderness as a hideout. Devil Dick Boze's relatives owned and operated Boze Mill on the Eleven Point River. By 1868, this group increased in number and daring to he point where the Oregon County court ordered a militia to be formed to track down his gang. Most fled to the Texas and Oklahoma territories, but Devil Dick chose to make his last stand and was gunned down by the Kansas 7th Militia in a fiery battle. The court awarded Captain Greer $1.50 to build his coffin. Devil Dick is buried in the Spring Creek Cemetery.

Some say that Boze Mill is haunted by the ghost of Devil Dick Boze.

The spring the powered the mill releases 12 to 14 million gallons a day:

Continued shortly

Old 08-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #28
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

I continued west after Boze Mill and crossed this little spring fed creek. I stopped and soaked my head. The cold water felt so refreshing on this 100 degree day.

Next stop for me is Mammoth Springs, Arkansas.

Mammoth Spring is a National Natural Landmark. It is the largest spring in Arkansas and the second largest in the Ozarks (Big Springs in MO is the largest in the Ozarks and tied with two others as the largest in the US).

The spring itself can't be seen. It is 70 feet below the surface of the pool above.

The average discharge of the spring is 347 cubic feet per second. Here is how it is running now:

Note: 1 Cubic foot equals 7.48 gallons. The average discharge of 347 cubic feet per second is 2,579.74 or 154,784.4 Gallons a minute.

To put that number in terms I understand, an Olympic swimming pool holds 660,430.1339 gallons. It would take 4.267 minutes for Mammoth Spring (at its average) to fill the pool.

At Mammoth Springs, it is after 1:00 and I have traveled about 240 miles. I still have over 175 miles of the best twistiest, gravel and back country roads Arkansas has to offer. The scenery in Arkansas is beautiful around ever bend.

The only drawback is I'm pressed for time. I skip lunch and continue. Because of the time issue I don't take pictures for the rest of the trip to Oark.

I arrive at the campgrounds a little after 5:00 on Sunday. The campground was full of riders. This is going to be fantastic! The GYPSY TOUR part of the event has started for me.

At this time have completed 3 of the 4 corners of the MO-FO Tour and plan to grab the last corner when the Gypsy Tour breaks camp on Wednesday and rides to Sedalia for the BMW MOA Rally. I have also collected as many BS Points as possible (plus a few extras because it was so much fun).

More about the Gypsy Tour and BMW MOA Rally in posts to come.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:41 AM   #29
Newstar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Excellent ride report, Eddie! Can't wait to read the good stuff about the GT! That's my favorite part of the rally.

www.gsgiants.com
Newstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:07 AM   #30
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,755
Very cool. I've seen or ridden to most of what you've covered. I've never been up to the soldier in the field, but intend to get there. That does tick me off. I totally agree about the karma.
I couldn't get time off for the GS Giant, or for that matter, the rally. I went over for a few hours on Saturday.
It was sure hot. Hung out in the vendors buildings (A/C) and took off..
Keep it coming, I'm interested how the group did off road down near Oark..

Jeff
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote