ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
vex OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Riding in SE Washington -

In particular, the Umatilla Nat'l Forest, south of Pomeroy. Has anyone done any riding through there? We've got a couple of routes in mind, and some camping, but we haven't been able to find much info on road conditions and distances.

We'll both be riding Wee Stroms with street tires, but we're both experienced dirt riders, and have done plenty of standard forest roads with the DL's without issue.

Any campground favorites? Any 'not to miss' roads?

It looks like there is a major connector between Pomeroy and Hwy 3. It also looks like we could come out at the bottom of Rattlesnake, right near Boggan's Oasis. But, I don't recall seeing any other roads in the area during my rides in that area.

Also, we're thinking of heading north toward Anatone, then taking roads east to get to the Snake River Road. Any experiences there?

--Brett
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
CaptainAttila
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Check out the Walls Walls Area Riders thread.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by vex View Post
. It also looks like we could come out at the bottom of Rattlesnake, right near Boggan's Oasis.
I love the Rattlesnake! We had a blast! I didn't see any dirt roads that took off from it though.

Here is a video of us running it last year... hope you have as much fun as we did!

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:00 AM   #4
dhally
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 2,102
[QUOTE=vex;19225295]
The through roads in the Umatilla NF are all passable, unless you find a bad blowdown. The mudholes and snow drifts are gone.

For civilized camping, The Last Resort on the Toucannon River is pretty nice. The FS campgrounds in that area were burned out but they saved the resort trees. If you're going in August or Sept, though, I would suggest camping as high up as possible, because it can stay hot in the canyons at night. I think there are one or two high up above Pomeroy.

The major connector between Pomeroy and Troy IS a not miss road. The north end is 80mph groomed gravel and the south end is deep dark forest jeep road. The drop into Troy is abrupt. Another nice "shortcut" is (if travelling east) to leave Hwy 12 at Dayton, cross the Toucannon River (near the Last Resort), then continue across to link up with the FS road out of Pomeroy. Highway 12 is OK too but nothing special.

I haven't ridden across from Hwy 3 near Anatone to Snake River road. The best way to get to Heller's Bar at the end of Snake River Road is FS46 which leaves Hwy 3 about 15 miles north of Enterprise, then Cold Springs road. Definitely need to detour into Enterprise for gas for that route!

Have a great ride!
Tiger 800 - FOR SALE

dhally screwed with this post 07-31-2012 at 12:12 AM
dhally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:24 AM   #5
Idarider
R1200GS

Oddometer: 1,975
Mountain road

Start in Pomeroy on Hwy 128 going south , that turns into the Mountian road and you can go to Anatone, Wa.
Taking a right off the Mountain road at various spots you can drop into Troy, Oregon via Grouse flats or down Cougar creek to the Grande Ronde river between the Oasis and Troy.
No roads you can use come out at the Oasis other than the Rattlesnake grade.
Several roads cut off to the east from the Mountain road taking you into Clarkstn on the Peola Road, and into the Asotin creek basin and into Asotin on the Lick creek road, Smoothing Iron road into the South fork of Asotin creek, Cloverland Rd to Cloveralnd and Asotin, and just about at Anatone you can take a left and end up in George creek after the Meyers ridge road.
Between Anatone and Fields spring state park you can take the Montgomery ridge road that will take out over to Couse creek and down to the Snake river. A right at the river will eventually get you to Jospeh creek and over to Joseph, Oregon. A left takes you to Asotin.

Most of the roads I have talked about are ones that I do in the winter or early spring and they are interesting then. The Mountian road has snow until late June usually.
The road n the Grande Ronde from the Oasis to Troy is now almost totally paved but a nice drive. Redmond grade -Florence is good or up the Grande ronde from Troy is excellent.

I don't camp out there, I know my brother has rented the Wenatchee Guard station cabin a couple of times.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,965
Heading north, over Rattlesnake, take Montgomery Ridge Road to the east, to reach the Snake River Road. It is just a couple miles from the top of Rattlesnake. You can continue on Montgomery or take a left on Weisenfels Road.. I did both of these last month. I liked Weisenfels Road the best.

I noticed a high number of raptors in this area. Then I heard it was just mentioned on the Oregon Guide TV program, that this area has one of the largest number of raptors in the US.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote