Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #16
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,453
I just saw that speedo & fell in love Please keep documenting the lil stuff & your solutions- bloody interesting stuff
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:20 PM   #17
MIOB OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
I opened up the rest of the engine a few weeks back. It was an incredible mess inside. I even found pieces of piston rings inside (the piston rings around the piston were still complete....). Heaps of metal fragments too. In short: Every moving part inside the engine was done. I suspect the bigend went and the owner just kept on driving, metal debris caused the oil pump to get stuck and he likely kept on riding until the piston seized. Even the timing and cam sprockets/axles were damaged and the hole for the (shot) crankase bearing was not round anymore.

It's now in my cellar fr spare parts, because this was just too much to still be fun and I went looking for another Enfield. I found one last week. It's been in a shed fire, so it looks horrible, but it should be in a good technical condition. Heaps of new parts, so at least that's a plus.

Some evidence of the fire:

Big plus: Dutch papers, registered in 1976 (so no need to import, get it tested and even no need to pay road taxes)

This will be fun :)

MIOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #18
MIOB OP
Studly Adventurer

I made some progress.

I made a wiring loom just for the ignition circuit, but I will need to learn how to set the timing first (I tried kickstarting it and learned that 350cc's can still produce an impressive kickback).

I traded a back wheel for new yokes, I don't want the standard yoke with the speedo holes and integrated headlight. Still had some handlebars lying around that have the look I wanted.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #19
MIOB OP
Studly Adventurer

Despite the lack of interest, I am hoping that some people with knowledge on tires are willing to answer this question:

What would be good tires for this bike? I am hoping I will be able to do 70-30 onroad/offroad. Offroad in this case is mainly firm ground and only limited mud/loose sand. The onroad part will mostly be to get to the offroad places.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #20
wfrpalm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
I can't answer your question about the bites but I have interest in the build.
wfrpalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:21 PM   #21
Eamon Nordquist
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIOB View Post
Despite the lack of interest, I am hoping that some people with knowledge on tires are willing to answer this question:

What would be good tires for this bike? I am hoping I will be able to do 70-30 onroad/offroad. Offroad in this case is mainly firm ground and only limited mud/loose sand. The onroad part will mostly be to get to the offroad places.
Dunlop K70's would likely do just that. they also make them in the right sizes - 3.25x19 front and 3.50x19 rear.

Eamon
Eamon Nordquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #22
R85/8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Back when that bike was new, we used to use Trials Universal treaded tyres for offroad combined with road use.
R85/8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:23 AM   #23
Chanderjeet
IndiYeah !!

Oddometer: 5,732
I've been out for too long it seems. Looking forward to your restore. Let me know if you need help with any parts
Old 07-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #24
MIOB OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanderjeet View Post
I've been out for too long it seems. Looking forward to your restore. Let me know if you need help with any parts
Thank you. Your Enfield is great inspiration!

At this moment I've been trying to start the bike for a few days. Evrything should be right, but I can't get any life form the engine :S
Old 07-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #25
MIOB OP
Studly Adventurer

It turned out to be a whole bunch of problems why it didn't start, so the one-thing at a time thing didn't help at all... But she runs now. The Idling is perfect, but without choke it stalls the second I touch the throttle, so still some work to do...

I made an exhaust, took a bit of a risk with the placement of the muffler: straight in front of the rear shock. I'll have to see if it gets too warm.

I'll be getting in some aluminum fenders tomorrow (hopefully) and am thinking about ordering Heidenau K60's as allroad tires. They're a bit expensive though.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:38 AM   #26
MIOB OP
Studly Adventurer

I made some progress...

Last night I did my second test ride in the local woods. I 'discovered' some issues:
- The Avon Speedmaster sucks on road, off road it is horribly, horribly bad. The rear tire is mostly just scary on the road ;).
- Duh-issue 2: It needs a frontfender, especially off road.
- I knew vibration + metal is bad, but I didn't expect my 1 x 0.5 cm steel bar that holds my license plate to break. I found the plate back luckily.

But, all in all, I had a fantastic time thumbing through the woods!

I think I'll be going for Heidenau K60 tires. I'll find a better way to attach the license plate and I'll try to get the front fender on this weekend.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:04 AM   #27
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,420
Bike is looking good, I would go for some Mitas, Maxxis, or Heidenau K60 tyres. Also I would think about strengthening your rear fender/mudguard....

England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:27 AM   #28
MIOB OP
Studly Adventurer

Thank you :)

Some great examples you've posted there! I'm surprised to see they all removed the neutral lever, I'm finding it very handy.

And yes, the rear fender does need some strengthening, but I haven't decided how yet. I usually dislike the big brackets going all around the fenders on scramblers/trial bikes, but they look fine on the examples you've posted.

The tires is a matter of availability too. I know I can get the Heidenau K60's, but they are relatively expensive (97,- per wheel including fitting the tires).
Old 08-03-2012, 07:27 AM   #29
MIOB OP
Studly Adventurer

By the way, love the tank in the second photo. Any clue where it's from?
Old 08-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #30
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 915
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIOB View Post
Thank you :)

Some great examples you've posted there! I'm surprised to see they all removed the neutral lever, I'm finding it very handy.

A neutral is the last thing you want/need whilst in the middle of a trials section

Keep up the good work - nice little project
Pigford is online now   Reply With Quote