Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #166
woolsocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post

Don't make fun of me for saying this haha, but for some reason the front of the Panigale reminds me of this girl, Audrina Patridge (see below). My gf watches some lame show with her on it. She has a "different" look with droopy eyes but is still gorgeous, IMO

woolsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #167
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 921
My 'guide' for the day (flynbulldog) offered me a place to stay and dinner after our day of riding. I had an early con call the next morning, but took him up on his offer. The road out to his place was another awesome road (I was really beginning to absolutely love Colorado). Despite being fairly far away from 'civilization', the surroundings had this naturally peaceful effect. It was as if the land around me was sucking all the stress out of my nervous system. Kind of like that feeling you get the second day of a week long vacation on the beach in Mexico or Hawaii, only instead of beaches and sunshine there were rolling green hills, sandstone rock temples and lots of ominous looking clouds. None-the-less, it was serene and peaceful and perfect.

Mr. Bulldog is a fairly private person, so I won't post any pictures of his house, or the absolutely AMAZING view or his garage or 'man cave'. But his garage looked like a Ducati dealership and his 'office' area had two vintage Ducati's and a really cool Honda Tourist Trophy. He's also an amazing photographer and both he and his wife were two of the most genuine, kind and authentic people you could meet. I was fortunate to have them host me and can't thank them enough for their generosity and hospitality. One of the best days of the trip so far!
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:33 AM   #168
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolsocks View Post
Don't make fun of me for saying this haha, but for some reason the front of the Panigale reminds me of this girl, Audrina Patridge (see below). My gf watches some lame show with her on it. She has a "different" look with droopy eyes but is still gorgeous, IMO

I know what you're talking about--the intakes look like droopy bags. Difficult, if not impossible, to improve on the extremely sinister looks of the 1098 front end, which still looks better imho.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #169
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

More Pikes eye candy:

Old 08-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #170
gremor
RS'er

Oddometer: 901
Great RR, I'm in.

But I've matured. Now I'd make sure I was drunk before I tried to fuck a snake"..........Bueller
gremor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #171
limeymike
Who Me?

Oddometer: 552
Yeah the Sturgis rally really screws up the great roads around Rapid City in the Black Hills. Bad time of year to be there on the Duc unless you wanna chugga chugga 2 by 2 with the pirate crowd.
limeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #172
MuskegonBrian
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Subscribe. Great writing. Thanks for sharing you story.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
MuskegonBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #173
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKLR View Post
Did you offer to switch bikes and let him try the Panigale?
He had a Tricolore for a couple days....I haven't been on a 1098R, but have spent some time on a fairly modded S.

He did give me his permission to post some pics of my time at his place....

Yup...he's got a highly modded and super sick Streetfighter, a 250 Cafe Ducati he's building up to race, a 1098R and a Multi. And that's just what's in the garage. ;)

View from second story deck is sublime.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #174
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallinastrips View Post
Nice! and good to see a street bike report. Howz that rear tire holding up?
Oh it's not all street! Been in the dirt at least 5 or 6 times now. Mostly fire-road type stuff and some grasslands, but still--I see something interesting off in the dusty distance and I go for it. The tire is holding up well, too. 4600 miles now?
Old 08-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #175
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

On the way back in the morning I'd seen a sign for Buffalo Bill's Grave. I had been making excellent time, so I figured another 5 minutes wouldn't hurt. Unfortunately the historical site was not just 5 minutes away, but the road was, as per usual, incredible. Lots of cyclists and a few longboarders sliding their way down the hill as I went up and up and up. Only got one shot before I had to turn down and haul ass so I could make an 8am con call....

Old 08-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #176
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Left Boulder in the late afternoon. It had looked like rain for a couple hours, but with in five minutes of leaving I had to stop and put on my rain gear, consisting of the lightweight 'screaming yellow' jacket and an extra pair of pants flynbulldog insisted I take with me. Thanks again! I needed them. Too bad I detailed my bike before I left.

It would rain, then stop, then start again. What worried me the most was when leaving Boulder there were two strikes that hit on the mountainside just to the west. I saw one hit the ground--and just kept trying to think negative electric charge to protect myself since I had no mana to tap! Each were only a few sound-seconds away, but still that's a little close for comfort (1800 feet).....

A nice big mushroom cloud:

Skies cleared up and the scenery was beautiful.

Blazed through Wyoming (yawn) and made it into Nebraska without much drama.

There were some extremely tranquil stretches of road, making me feel like I was riding through a Van Gogh Painting

Saw my first taste of real ranch life--girl on horseback herding cattle:

AntiHero screwed with this post 06-21-2014 at 01:09 AM
Old 08-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #177
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Now I don't know about you guys, but whenever I drive by cows I usually honk, figuring they could use at least something to break up the dreary litany of chewing grass they poop all over. And rarely do they ever flinch. Didn't have to honk for these bovines...they seemed to really like the sound the Duck was making and even ran over as I slowed down to stop.

It was around this time I really was feeling the magnitude of the trip. My left shoulder was killing me and, well, these long stretches of road were just a prelude to all the miles coming ahead. It kept getting more gorgeous as the sun started to set, though, and I drank in the scenery as much as I could.

That's me on the shadow-horizon:

Nature's prozac:

Somewhere with around 30 miles on my 'recent gas' trip meter I saw a "next services 70 miles." I thought, no problem--until after 70 miles no services. Ended up having to go off to a small city just to see if they had gas. Looked like a ghost town, but I did end up finding a pump. The city was deserted except for a couple kids playing on a sidewalk (who looked at me as if I was riding on a spaceship). Out in these rural areas it seems all the beauty is outside of the 'towns' in the countryside.

This church was super creepy and had a little moat of mosquito-laden holy water around it.

Moonlight Superquadro Sonata:

AntiHero screwed with this post 08-03-2012 at 09:36 PM
Old 08-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #178
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Once into the armpit of a city called Alliance, NE, I checked into a semi-fleabag of a hotel and had dinner:

The only other choices were Arby's and McDonalds. I was starving, but not THAT hungry. And that Tuna thing I got was disgusting. Don't ever get one. Revolting! Regular tuna-in-a-can is perfect, but they'd added what tasted like creamy, celery flavored mucus to the tuna, making it quite inedible.

For all the Cohen Brothers fans out there, I like to leave a little "easter egg" on the 5th or 6th page for future guests whenever I have the opportunity:

Once again, I couldn't wait to be out of these strip-mall towns filled with many, many uhappy people. Out on the road I felt safe and free again.

AntiHero screwed with this post 06-21-2014 at 01:09 AM
Old 08-03-2012, 09:40 PM   #179
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

My MPG has been around 42, but into my ride towards SD I thought I'd see what I could milk out of the engine. Prius deekheads can suck on 51 mpg:

Journey so far:

Then SD at last:

AntiHero screwed with this post 06-21-2014 at 01:10 AM
Old 08-03-2012, 10:44 PM   #180
Skippy86
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Freaking amazing trip! I am impressed you can put that many miles on a superbike and not have an arm or butt cheek fall off from lack of blood flow.

I am trying to decide what bike to get next, and you are making a pretty good case for the Ducati... Most bikes are rated in MPG (miles per gallon), I am pretty sure Ducati uses PPM (panties per mile).

Look forward to hearing more!
Skippy86 is offline   Reply With Quote