Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #61
MotorCade
Rugby whore

Oddometer: 448
Hey - it's me! Was commuting home from work on a Saturday. Ummm... fail... jeans? sportbike gear on a dualsport? Making an Elefant look like a small bike? Wearing backpack too low? Damn.

_D3X0507 by RockStorePhotos.com, on Flickr
MotorCade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #62
K0ncept
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-M View Post
I watched the high side vid several times and there is no big suspension movement front or rear before the traction is lost. It looks like really slippery pavement at that one spot about 100' past the guard rail. There are many tire marks on the road right where he loses it. If it is all squids screwing up while showing off, they are all grabbing too much throttle at the exact same spot. Not too likely.
the road is slick right there, but the real problem is it goes neutral camber right at that spot :) Hard to see, but when you ride it you can see it... That is the #1 crashing spot on that road pretty much...
K0ncept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #63
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0ncept View Post
the road is slick right there, but the real problem is it goes neutral camber right at that spot :) Hard to see, but when you ride it you can see it... That is the #1 crashing spot on that road pretty much...
yeah, it is pretty flat.

strangely, I never hear of anyone wadding into the overhanging rock.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #64
Mista Bob
Über n00b

Oddometer: 204
All these people moaning about how the photographers are a distraction should quit riding right here and now.

There are always distractions when riding on the street that are out of your control.
If you can't handle not acting like a dolt at some tiny distraction you really don't belong on the road.

Hell even on the racetrack there is going to be distractions. Like photographers, spectators and so on.

You crash "because of" a photographer? Guess who's fault it is. No one but your stupid self. The photographer doesn't make anyone crash, people make themselves crash.

You crash trying to show off to a photographer? Also your own damn fault.
Gotta love the "it's everyone else's fault, not mine" world we live in.
Mista Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #65
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,423
didn't there used to be a big bullseye on the huge boulder right on that curve? i used to ride there years ago and seem to remember that.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:36 AM   #66
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Bob View Post
All these people moaning about how the photographers are a distraction should quit riding right here and now.

There are always distractions when riding on the street that are out of your control.
If you can't handle not acting like a dolt at some tiny distraction you really don't belong on the road.

Hell even on the racetrack there is going to be distractions. Like photographers, spectators and so on.

You crash "because of" a photographer? Guess who's fault it is. No one but your stupid self. The photographer doesn't make anyone crash, people make themselves crash.

Pointing out that photogs are a distraction is not moaning. It is merely an acknowledgement of reality. And yes, it is still the rider's fault if they crash.

There's a post on ADV where somebody at a track day had the course photog tell them "If you want to see some great crash pics then look for me out on the course." or something to that effect.

But I will take your sage Internet advice and quit riding as of today.

NOT.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:02 AM   #67
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,326
Quote:

Nobody is blaming Paul, reads-at-a-5th-grade-level guy. It's the overwhelming consensus, including from you, that the people showing off for the camera are crashing.

What's the big deal.

NEXT VIDEO

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #68
Rhino-1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 863
Quote:

Chill. Pill.

'03 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, '04 Aprilia Mille Factory, '75 Honda CB125S
Rhino-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #69
Skowinski
Chordate

Oddometer: 4,482
This looks like the west coasts equivalent to the dragon. Carnage. After watching the out of control cars in the videos, I think I'll pass on riding the Mulholland.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #70
tedder
irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skowinski View Post
This looks like the west coasts equivalent to the dragon. Carnage. After watching the out of control cars in the videos, I think I'll pass on riding the Mulholland.
It's shorter and has less rhythm than dragon. Angeles Crest is where the real riders go, but Mulholland is a good place to ride for lunch at Rock Store.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #71
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,326
yeah the bit of road in question is only about two miles long. It's mostly second gear stuff - not very fast. Angeles Crest is so dangerous I wont even go up there anymore. I personally know of at least three people that have been hit up there, one that have died.
On that road I've been passed by delivery vans on blind corners - PLEASE stay away from that place. Motorcyclist magazine even publish my diatribe on it. It's an unbelievable road.... and a dammed shame
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is

eatpasta screwed with this post 08-03-2012 at 12:09 PM
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #72
Rhino-1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder View Post
It's shorter and has less rhythm than dragon. Angeles Crest is where the real riders go, but Mulholland is a good place to ride for lunch at Rock Store.
Hmmm. There are many, interconnecting gloriously twisted roads up here in the Santa Monica mountains. Stunt, Decker, Latigo, Piuma, the rest of Mulholland, Topanga, etc, etc. That "little" stretch is famous because of the Rock Store and the celebs, and because it's been a "street race track" since the beginning of time (very tight, decreasing radius stuff with great views).

It's a zoo now on the weekends, but I found that this ebbs and flows over the years...

'03 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, '04 Aprilia Mille Factory, '75 Honda CB125S
Rhino-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #73
tedder
irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin8r View Post
Hmmm. There are many, interconnecting gloriously twisted roads up here in the Santa Monica mountains. Stunt, Decker, Latigo, Piuma, the rest of Mulholland, Topanga, etc, etc.
Well, yeah. There's more than Dragon around Dragon too.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #74
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 4,875
Just past the lookout, a few years back. 60 something idiot in his old ferrari challenges 20 something idiot in his 5.0 mustang to a duel. Carnage ensues...

I had ridden through mere moments before this happened, remembered seeing the guys (idiots) parked at the lookout.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #75
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,080
[QUOTE=eatpasta;19277624NEXT VIDEO

[/QUOTE]

You can see his throttle hand is tight around the grip, he never applied the front brake at all
Actually it looks like he had 1 finger on, but you don't see the weight transfer from rear to front at all, if he's on the front brake, he isn't on much.

KX50002 screwed with this post 08-03-2012 at 02:24 PM Reason: reviewed the tape
KX50002 is online now   Reply With Quote