User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 07:13 AM   #1
Daddyrabbit OP
BoxerShortz

Oddometer: 9
Build route in 550 and transfer via SD to BMW Navigator IV?

Inmates:
I have a BMW Zumo. I am busy building routes in Austria and Italy for a trip this fall. The Munich rental 1200RT has a Navigator IV and I would like to load routes on the SD here in my 550 and take only the SD to Europe and plug into the Nav IV and go. Any problems with this plan?
TIA.
Ciao.
Daddyrabbit.

I may grow rich by art I am compelled to follow, I may recover health by medicines I am compelled to take against my own judgment, but I cannot be saved by a worship I disbelieve & abhor. -Thomas Jefferson
Daddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyrabbit View Post
Inmates:
I have a BMW Zumo. I am busy building routes in Austria and Italy for a trip this fall. The Munich rental 1200RT has a Navigator IV and I would like to load routes on the SD here in my 550 and take only the SD to Europe and plug into the Nav IV and go. Any problems with this plan?
TIA.
Ciao.
Daddyrabbit.
If you create your Routes on the same Map version as what will be on the Rental you will have a better chance that they will not be recalculated. But, since you probably won't know what map version is on the Rental, if you carefully place some Waypoints in the route(s) you create you will have much better odds of replicating your original route when you hit the EU.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

By the way, you do know that the BMW Nav IV(zumo 660) uses a microSD Card and not the standard SD Card you have in your zumo 550.

If you haven't already, you can purchase a microSD Card and use it in a standard SD Adapter for your zumo 550.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-26-2012, 05:37 AM   #4
Daddyrabbit OP
BoxerShortz

Wow! Thanks DRTBYK! I understand the recalculate issue now.. I did not know it used a microSD. Thanks for the heads up...
Can I use one of the OSM maps and have it on my card and not use the rentals maps?
Thanks,
Dadyrabbit

I may grow rich by art I am compelled to follow, I may recover health by medicines I am compelled to take against my own judgment, but I cannot be saved by a worship I disbelieve & abhor. -Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-26-2012, 06:30 AM   #5
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Wow! Thanks DRTBYK! I understand the recalculate issue now.. I did not know it used a microSD. Thanks for the heads up...
Can I use one of the OSM maps and have it on my card and not use the rentals maps?
Thanks,
Dadyrabbit
Yes, you can use OSM maps on the Nav IV but just like your zumo it will need to have a gmapsupp.img file name.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
Daddyrabbit OP
BoxerShortz

Thanks!!!

Old 06-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Keep in mind that the zumo's (and Nav IV) have factory installed maps. Therefore to keep Routes from being recalculated you must create your routes on the same map version as the version installed on the zumo or Nav IV.

So, again make sure your routes have sufficient Waypoints in them so that they route properly no matter which routable map set you use: i.e, City Nav or OSM.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 07-28-2012, 06:09 PM   #8
Daddyrabbit OP
BoxerShortz

Sorry just saw your last MSG...can't I have OSM with routes on miniSD and disable the city map in the menu?
Thanks!!

Old 07-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #9
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Sorry just saw your last MSG...can't I have OSM with routes on miniSD and disable the city map in the menu?
Thanks!!
Yes you can. But, we were discussing recalculation of Routes. Since your GPS already has Garmin installed CN maps that is the map set it uses as the calculation reference. Using OSM maps is fine if you Disable CN. But, the zumo will still recalculate your route. Just make sure to use enough via points or better yet, Waypoints, to shape your route. Then even if it does recalculate you will get the route you expected - usually.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 08-04-2012, 03:21 AM   #10
Daddyrabbit OP
BoxerShortz

Thanks!